Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 05-05-2014, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 325 ic
Window from HELL

I just picked up a 95 325i convertible and the passenger side window will not work. I have verified that the motor is good and I replaced the regulator and the window will still not work. Any suggestions?

And it is true that the trim piece at the top that helps hold the door panel on is not sold as an individual piece? If so that is a real hassle!
Ads by Google
Old 05-05-2014, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 318ti
Been there

Recently did the windows on my 1997 318ti. The metal runners that hold the rubber guide for the window to go up get bent and sometimes throw the whole thing off. Also, the old grey gunk (grease) on the window runners for the clips that attach to regulator arms is bad news and should be cleaned out. If that is the issue then re-grease the window runner or do what I did and just say screw it and have the runners in dry which has worked better for me. Lastly the regulator might need to be drilled down better, requiring you too use nuts and bolts which can be a hassle but is better in the long run. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:59 PM

I am thinking one of the metal runners might be bent. Are those replaceable?
Old 05-15-2014, 01:57 PM

So I broke down and took the car to a shop to fix the window. Turned out the motor was bad and the shop sold me a used one for $75. So the window was fixed and they charged me 2 hours labor which was a joke. The window stopped working again 2 days later. The regulator arm on the left keeps pooping out of the plastic tab. I took it bacjk and they fixed it no charge saying the alignment was out of whack. Guess what, the window just stopped working again. I am gonna freaking lose it. Something keeps causing the regulator arm on the left to pop out of socket.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 318ti
This happened to me like five times before I finally got it to work. It could be that the regulator arms are to bent to get by with, and or the grease on the metal runners is causing it. Both of these problems affected my installation so I had to buy an entirely new window regulator, plus clean out all of the grey grease that causes to much friction.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:14 PM

The regulator is brand new along with a brand new motor and still no luck. I cleaned out the grease as well. I called my the BMW shop and they said they are out of ideas. Guess I will ask for my money back...