Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
BMW Canada Comparison Drive

Today I had the occasion for the 2nd time to go to a 'BMW Comparison Drive'.
This is an autocross event in which the competitors were

328i XDrive
A4 2.0TQ
300C 4Matic
IS250 AWD.

No G37 to make the 328i look bad (power can corrupt).

In addition, there were 2x 335d and a 335i. No M3 though.:mad0260:

I don't know who said that the 'new' diesels changed so much; it is false. They vibrate more than I expected at idle and to get 425lbs-ft at 1700rpm, you have to spool the turbos. Meaning; important lags. Heavier too. so ill mannered to an autocross event. No diesel odor, at least.

The next outgunned was the IS250 AWD. So lacking in handling, the easiest to lose control. Maybe a IS350 would have done better but it doesn't seem in the car character to play.

The Audi was a general deception as many said. Soft, porky, steering too demultiplied, engine way lacking. Nice cockpit, that's it.

The Benz did shine, IMO. Ok the sense of body control is not as surgical as the 3. But the powertrain felt much more involving than the N52; just nicer raw machinery sound. The 335i a different story and I' d get it just to have the same kind of engine not my E46 M54 had; I loved it and miss it. The steering wheel is too large but the cockpit quality is better than I perceived the 1st time. It is a bit tight, however.

Not convinced by the Xdrive for handling. My RWD E90 feels better planted for sure. Of course, additional weight and higher body (at least .75" I'd say) explain why. I love what they did to the taillights.

Conclusion
328i A
300C A
IS250 C
A4 2.0T C
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: an old Camaro
We attended the retailer version of the same event in Vancouver, and I agree with your comments 100%.

The Merc interior was not there, IMO