Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 05-12-2009, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: Biiiiimmer
Fuse keeps blowing on '87 520i

Hi, my 1987 520i E28 started acting up today one of the fuses started blowing the one in the bottom right corner to be exact.

On the fusebox it says that it's value is 8A and it powers the following accesorys Kontrolleuchten, DZM, Spiegel, BC, ZW, Abfr. KVA, SIA, Tempom.-, Rückfahrscheinw. Progr Sitsverst. ''

In the gague cluster where the speedometer is located the only things that work are:
The speedo itself, the ABS and Charging warning lights.
In the rest of the car the following things are dead.
Reverse lights, electric windows (When the driver side door is closed), the electric windows.

Did some testing and came up with the following:

The fuse will not blow if I turn on the ignition, but as soon as i crank the car it blows.
When I have the key turned to ignition point 2 I think it is everything works including the reverse lights.

Tried "connecting" the blown fuse for a fraction of a sec to see if everything worked then and everything did except the reverse lights which remained dead.

The ABS and Charging lights stay on till I've given the car a bit of revs but It might have been like that before also, just that I havent noticed.

It also seems like the engine is running abit rich, might be my ears that are decieving me but I felt like there was some "after burning" of the fuel in the exaust when I release the throttle but that might just be me hearing this trying to find out what is wrong.

Has anyone here experienced something similar to their E28's? and know what might be causing these problems? Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2009, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: Biiiiimmer
You have to pardon my bad spelling and grammar btw, kinda sleepy and English is not my native language
Old 05-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Look at the fusebox cover and see which fuse number you are talking about. There is no way to help you unless you identify it. You need to find the ETM (Electrical Troubleshooting Manual) for your specific model/year. Look up the fuse number on the diagram and now you will be able to trace the wires and circuits powered by that fuse. I had a problem with mine and it turned out to be a broken interior dome light that had a metal part touching the interior of the roof.
Good Luck!