Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-14-2009, 08:08 PM
a man made of men like me

Mein Auto: 2001 330i 5MT ZSP
Fuel Injector/Seals Replacement DIY - PICS

This DIY guide is for the replacement of the (12) Fuel Injector Seals but will also serve to replace your fuel injectors in any e46 m52/m54 engine.

DISCLAIMER: Follow this guide at your own risk. You cannot hold anyone but your self responsible for any damage, injury or deaths caused by following this guide. If you choose to use the carb cleaner vacuum leak method please keep a fire extinguisher at close hand and be sure to perform this task with a completely cold engine. Happy Motoring!!!

Introduction and Diagnosis: Everyone knows that the e46 has it's quirks, a fact some of most of us pre-owned BMW owners know all too well. Lean codes in particular are something often discussed in the BMW online community. I am no exception to the people who have fallen victim to the notorious lean codes.

To diagnose weather your fuel injector seals have failed or not there are several techniques. I used a flammable carburetor cleaner sprayed on or around my fuel injectors and listened for an idle surge. If after spraying around your fuel injectors you get an idle surge it means that the fuel delivery system is taking in un-metered air causing an unbalanced fuel-to-air ratio and ultimately leading to engine misfires. After determining that several of my injector seals have failed i decided to replace all 12 seals, 6 located at the fuel injector-to-fuel rail and 6 located at the fuel injector-to-manifold. Both sets of seals can be had at pelicanparts.com for $4.00 each times 12 plus $5.50 for shipping, you are looking to spend $53.50 for this DIY.

Part Numbers:
Fuel Injector to Manifold 13-64-1-437-486
Fuel Injector to Fuel Rail 13-64-1-437-487

Prologue: Drive to your local package store with your misfiring BMW and purchase a 6 pack of Warsteiner Premium Beer

Step 1: Remove the cabin filter and engine filter housing so as to expose the engine cowling rear nuts.

Step 2: Remove the engine cowling.

Step 3: Locate the post cat oxygen sensor wires running along the top of the fuel rail and remove them from the two retainer clips and set aside. Also remove the retainer clips.

Step 4: Now locate the black long rectangular electrical box that provides power to the fuel injectors. This box also has 2 plugs, one exiting the middle of the box going to the intake manifold air temp sensor and one going to a sensor at the front of the engine bay. Remove both of these.

Step 5: Note that each fuel injector has a retention clip which fastens the electrical box to the injectors. Using a flat head screw driver pry one side of the metal clip to the side of the connection. It does not have to be removed, just offset to release the connection. (see picture). For injectors 5 and 6 (located closets to the rear of the vehicle) slide one side of the retention clip toward the rear of the vehicle because the fuel rail support bracket is in the way. Pull the electrical box off the injectors and set aside, if you pull up a little you can rotate it counter clockwise and out of the way. This will expose the 4 fuel rail bolts.

Step 6: Now that the 4 fuel rail bolts are exposed remove these using a 10mm socket. Be careful not to drop these bolts. I did several times and actually lost one in the bowels of the engine. keep a magnetic pickup tool on hand. Now the fuel rail is ready to be removed but you must first release the pressure inside of the fuel rail.

Step 7: Locate the valve toward the front of the fuel rail and unscrew the cap. It looks like a bike tire valve. Place shop rags under and over of the valve and using a flat head screw driver press on the needle to release the pressure. A minimal amount of gas will exit.

Step 8: Now you are ready to lift up the fuel rail. Place some clean shop towels next to the fuel injectors and pull up on the fuel rail to lift the injectors out of their receptacles, be gentile however because the main fuel feed line is still connected but hidden near the fire wall. Place the injector tips onto the shop towel.

Step 9: Now you have to remove injectors 5 and 6 so as to provide enough room to rotate the fuel rail to expose the main fuel feel line. Examine the new kind of retention clips that hold the fuel injectors to the fuel rail. They are three sided and can be pressed off relatively easy with your fingers (see picture). Have shop rags underneath the injectors because a moderate amount of gas will come out.

Step 10: With injectors 5 and 6 removed, pull up on the fuel rail and rotate it counter clockwise, this move will pull up the fuel line coupling from behind the fire wall. Be mindful of the fuel injector tips and where you set them down. The fuel line coupling is a "quick connect" type with a blue collar. All you have to do is press down on the blue collar and pull up on the fuel rail male line and it will pop right out of the female fuel feed line.

Step 11: Now you can bring your fuel rail over to your shop bench and begin the main work.

Step 12: Take a breather and crack open one of those Warsteiners that you have been chilling in the freezer.

Step 13: Remove each injector via the same method for injector 5 and 6. Using a pick tool or your finger nails remove and replace each seal. I rubbed some engine oil on each seal to ease the re-installation. You can use this opportunity to take or mail your injectors to a specialty shop that sonically cleans fuel injectors. Leave injector 5 and 6 out because you will have to angel the fuel rail in such a way as to mate the male fuel rail line and the female main fuel feed line again.

Step 14: Follow the reverse procedure to re-install the fuel rail.

Step 15: Congratulations...you are done!

Step 16: Drink the rest of your ice cold Warsteiner and Happy Motoring!!!

BMW CCA #: 399644

Last edited by CaptainTrap; 05-15-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-14-2009, 08:48 PM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Excellent diy!!
Old 05-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Needs to added to the wiki.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325i
Good job.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325i
Great walk through! THANKS!

Great walk through! THANKS!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Who is John Galt?

Send a message via AIM to Mo.licious
Mein Auto: 2001 325Ci Convertible
Contribution, noted and appreciated!

Kudos.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i
Great diy job! Thank you for posting.

2 items to add:

- Disconnect the car battery before doing the project.

- If you decide to send the injectors for cleaning, some vendors will provide replacement seals included with the cleaning. Leave the seals attached to the injectors so the vendor can match them.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
sweet DIY! Thanks so much, I was looking for something like this for months now.

What codes did the scanner show when you scanned your car?
Old 01-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTrap View Post
Step 5: Note that each fuel injector has a retention clip which fastens the electrical box to the injectors. Using a flat head screw driver pry one side of the metal clip to the side of the connection. It does not have to be removed, just offset to release the connection. (see picture). For injectors 5 and 6 (located closets to the rear of the vehicle) slide one side of the retention clip toward the rear of the vehicle because the fuel rail support bracket is in the way. Pull the electrical box off the injectors and set aside, if you pull up a little you can rotate it counter clockwise and out of the way. This will expose the 4 fuel rail bolts.
Thanks for this...I was wondering yet whether I needed another "special" tool to work on this car. I couldn't figure out how to do this until I saw this. It is a bit tough to pull out for everyone else doing this but once each of these retaining clips are moved to the side, just give it a good yank.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:35 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Gj Capt'n!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: e92 335
great write up thank you for the diy its been a great help. i have a question tho, ive got everything apart except for the last connection of the electrical control unit to the furthest injector, and the last bolt holding the fuel rail to the intake mani. i just cant seem to get my hand and the tools in far enough to work in there let alone the trouble light!! that shroud on the back of the engine bay (dont know what it is, air filter inlet, something ot other) is just impeding my access to the back of the motor and its really frustrating me. fyi, its the girlfriends car or i would know more lol. any suggestions? i really dont want to break anything....can i remove the shroud easily? is there a trick i dont know about? thanks for the input!!

Last edited by bucktown; 03-30-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-30-2010, 05:13 PM