Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-11-2015, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325i
Question Kingpin/Bearing issue?

I've Just replaced my front Rotors, and Pads because I've been chasing a "womp-womp", and they where ready go in general. (New Rotors, and Pads are: Zimmerman Rotors, BMW Pads.)
I've replaced the passenger side Bearing as part of my trouble shooting, and seem to have weeded out the noise on that side. However, I noticed that the Rotor on the Driver Side was wobbling inside the Bracket enough to touch it when I spun the Rotor with my hand while the Caliper Bracket was still attached. The Caliper with the Pads were removed so I could see the wobble clearly. I had considered a stuck Caliper, but since it was off, and I saw the contact happening with the Bracket and the Rotor, I'm fairly certain that this is the issue. I also considered a defective new Rotor, but the old one made the same noise, thus leading me to think it was doing the same thing. I used a rubber mallet with a bit of Rem Oil to get my rim off, but I didn't really hit it that hard. What could be the cause of this? Something with the Driver side Bearing, or King Pin?

#2 in this realoem diagram is my concern.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...07&hg=31&fg=10

My car was in a finder bender before I got it. If the owner before me had tuned the wheel while braking hard would that not bend such a part. what is the best way to troubleshoot this?_a__a2_
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Has the been aligned during your ownership? That would tell you if the kingpin (part #2) is bent. It wouldn't cause the rotor wobble problem. That would be caused by a bad beating OR the rotor isn't sitting properly on the hub. Check for rust on the surface of the hub that mates to the rotor.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:35 PM

Thank you so much for the quick response. I'll have a look ASAP.
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Other Info covering this subject can be found in my other thread on e46 Fanatics.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1063541
The shop told me that its my Control Arms, and Bushings. I replaced the Bushings in July with Lemforder Bushings so I'm sot sure about the Bushings going bad. I had my roommate listen to my e46 as I drove past him outside of our house today. He said all he heard was road sounds, and that my car was quiet. I can still hear this "woop-woop" like a little monkey while driving though, clearer at highway speed, and it gets louder as I apply the Brake The car does not really pull except at slower Braking speeds such as when approaching a stop light, Steering wheel might shiver while slowing a little now and then, but it's hard to produce this deliberately. The shop said this was due to my Camber being off from the Control Arms, and that my Caliper was fine. I replaced the Junk Yard Caliper with a re-manufactured one when I got home anyway, and nothing changed. While doing this, I did notice that my Sway Bar End Link on that side (Driver side) was in a fairly sad state. Could this be what they meant? (language barrier?) The Rotor hasn't touched the Caliper Carrier Bracket since I replaced the Bearing, but when I spin the Rotor I can hear it graze the Pads off and on. I've even positioned the Caliper, and Rotor so that there is NO sound of Brake Pad grazing, before reattaching the Rim, torquing the Rim, and lowering the car. Sooooo. My question is now: What part to get /test for first? New Rotor(2), Control Arm(s), or End Link(s) for the Sway Bar? Could my Brake Line not allowing the caliper to release all the way? To me it's hard to tell because I'm no mechanic, But I've done a lot on this car since I've gotten it. It's the diagnosing that I still have a lot to learn about.