Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
For the record, here are the current list of headlight related threads in the VERY best of E39 Links.
DIY Headlight threads:
- Broken headlight adjusters (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21)
- How to buy new headlight adjusters (EAC E39 prior to 9/2000) (EAC aluminum E39 after 9/2000) (EAC plastic after 9/2000) (odometergears) (UK)
- How to make your own headlight adjusters (0) (1) (2) (3)
- A list of your options when your headlight adjusters are broken (1)
- Headlight aiming DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
- Headlight replacement H7 bulbs (1) (2)
- Headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIY (1) (2) (3)
- Headlight autopsy DIY (1) (2) (3)
- What's the flat spot on the USA spec headlights (1) (2)
- Explanation of HID versus conventional and why the high beam is always a halogen H7 bulb (1) (2) (3)
- How to replace your headlight bulbs (1)
- DJ Auto or Depo headlights (1) or OEM (1)
Also ...
Can you show me on this pic where the headlight adjusters are? ( 1 2)
List options available (sorted by cost) for 2001-2003 E39 broken headlight adjusters by bluebee
What is the plastic in the OEM Hella and aftermarket DJAuto & Depo BMW E39 headlights? by bluebee
How to choose H7 high/low beam replacement bulbs (3100K to 4000K) by bluebee
What is the PRACTICAL difference of post-facelift halogen Hellas vs non-filament HIDs by bluebee
Just curious about 2002 halogen headlights once taken apart by bluebee
Do all our E39's have SEPARATE horizontal and vertical headlight adjustment alignment by bluebee
Tips on Opening Headlight by Zane39
Headlight issues. by BentValve
And ...
Lighting
Angel Eye Wiring Harness Adapter
DEPO Clear tail light retrofit
Headlight Adjusters/Covers Replacement
Headlight Adjuster Fix (Inexpensive -2003 525i; Driver side only)
Headlight Adjuster Replacement (2001-2003)
Headlight Adjuster Replacement (2003 permanently sealed headlights)
Headlight Polishing/Refinishing
Headlight Refinishing/Installing Angel Eyes
HID Fog Lamps for the 1996-2000 BMW E39 5-Series (Excluding M5)
HID Retrofit
LED Exterior door handle
Light Control Module (LCM) replacement
Rear Fog Lights
Rear Fog to Brake Lights Conversion
Universal Predator Angel Eye Install

Last edited by bluebee; 01-24-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:59 PM

For the record, in this thread:
- Headlights (HID) *after* repairs

Mark, at EACTuning is fixing the guy's headlight adjusters for him.

In that thread, today, we decided to outline some simple tests for broken headlight adjusters:

POINTING TEST:
- If your headlights are always pointing too low (down) ... and ...
- If you can't adjust your headlights;
- Then, the adjusters are likely sheared.

SHAKE TEST:
- With the headlight in place, shake one of the bulbs
- If the assembly feels "tight"; the adjusters are OK (otherwise, one or both adjusters has sheared)

RATTLE TEST:
- Remove the four 8mm bolts holding the headlight in place
- Remove the four builbs from the headlight assembly
- Pull the headlight assembly away from the vehicle
- Shake vigorously; if you hear things rattling, your adjusters are likely sheared
Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 AM

There is value in an autopsy!

Interestingly, today someone asked if cutting one of the five fiber-optic cables in the Hella headlights will make the other four brighter.
- brighter halo rings?

Based the autopsy performed on my headlight described in this thread, I responded:

Quote:
The answer is (IMHO) no.

The logic of my answer can be deduced from my headlight autopsy:
- Headlight autopsy DIY (1) (2) (3)

Note: I'm not sure the "technical" terms so please correct where I err.

In that autopsy of my Hella halogens, you can see there are five fiber-optic cables, all of which innervate with the angel-eye light bulb at a single 360 terminus. Each of the five fiber-optic cables has a dedicated 72 pie section. It's obvious (to me anyway), that each fiber-optic terminus is equally irradiated by the angel-eye bulb (simulated by my flashlight in my photo below).

If you paint over or disable one pie section on that terminus, that act, in no way, increases the available light on any other pie-section terminus.

Note: Ignore the comments in my picture below; the pic is re-used simply to show the fiber-optic cable terminus pie shapes.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
A lot of great information here. Looks like i'm going to have to replace the adjusters on my newly acquired 02 530 sport. Is it possible to replace the adjusters without deconstructing the light assemblies?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
Is it possible to replace the adjusters without deconstructing the light assemblies?
Yes. People do it all the time for the 2003 E39 headlights, for example. Read this thread again. Look at this picture again.

See also:
- All known options for replacing broken E39 late-model headlight adjusters (1)

For example, if you make your own adjusters (like I did), it will cost about $5 for both headlights.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
I think I will go with the zip tie method until I get time to make my own adjusters. Does anybody have critical dimensions, angles etc. of the adjusters?

Thank you!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: United States
just going back to the original posters post. How do you remove the angel eye bulb? and what kind of bulb is the angel eye bulb?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
Does anybody have critical dimensions, angles etc. of the adjusters?
I bought the expensive aluminum (about $100 for the set of four, IIRC) adjusters so that I could measure them for the team; however, the ones I bought are 'really' hard to measure the angles.

I still have a set, and can measure the angles for you if you like - but, trust me, those are weird angles so I'm not sure exactly what to measure since very few of the dimensions actually matter.

I gave up trying to measure my convoluted aluminum adjusters, concluding that we needed someone to measure from a known good set of original adjusters - which are of a different (simpler) set of dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornsNavy View Post
How do you remove the angel eye bulb? and what kind of bulb is the angel eye bulb?
If you go to the bestlinks and type in "angel eye" into your thread search, you'll come up with this, among others:
- How to remove angel eye bulbs (1) (2) (3) how to retrofit halogen angeleye bulb to LEDs (1) (2) (3) (4) how to modify pre-facelift headlights to angel eyes (1) (2) (3) (4) & which stock angel-eye bulbs to buy (1) (2) and which stock H7 'halogen' bulbs to buy (1) (2) (3).

AE_bulb_removal.pdf

Last edited by bluebee; 09-14-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:28 AM

For the record, some new hints from Steve530 were placed in this thread today:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Headlights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
Thanks for the links, Bluebee.

I replaced the adjusters today using the first DIY you listed. I made a few comments in that thread. All 4 of the adjuster were broken. I have no idea how long they've been broken, but I had noticed that the performance was poor.

I aimed the headlights using the Daniel Stern article you linked. Well, I aimed them as best I could considering it's hard to find 35 feet of level ground around here.

I also polished the lenses with the 3M kit before I replaced the adjusters. That took some time, but the results are good. BTW, O'Reilly's was able to supply me with the 3" hookit P500 and P800 sanding discs, so I didn't have to buy 2 kits.

With now clear lenses and properly adjusted beams, I can see much better. The HID bulbs may be dimming. They aren't blue like they once were. I may yet replace the bulbs and have the dealer adjust the beams with an optical aiming device.
The DIYs for polishing are here:
- Headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIY (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & polishing yellowed taillights (1) & replacing the lens in toto (1) and all known options for replacing broken E39 late-model headlight adjusters (1)

And, Steve's comments about the DIY are here:
- 5 Series DIY > 01+ Broken Headlight Adjuster Fix (E39)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
I replaced the adjusters on 2001 530i Hella HID headlights today using the procedure in this thread. The procedure worked well. Here are a few observations.

I used the aluminum adjusters from EAC which are threaded. I didn't need to cut threads in the adjuster with the screw.

Mark at EAC suggested baking the headlights at 210 F for 7 minutes instead of 5 minutes at 200 F. After I removed lens, I baked the headlights for two more minutes to ease the removal of the bezel.

I found that if I removed the HID bulb so I could see the auto-leveling motor ball and socket. This made it easier to reinstall the auto-leveling motor ball in the assembly socket. The ball came out of the socket to the right on both headlights.

I removed the socket from the reflector assembly to get the old plastic adjuster remnants out. This allowed me to use a small screwdriver to depress the retaining tab from the back of the socket so the screwdriver did not interfere with the ball removal.

I didn't realize how poorly the lights were working. This repair restored their performance.
It's nice when people ask, read, do the DIY, and then write back to edify others!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:39 PM

For the cross-linked record, there is useful headlight adjuster information here today:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > 2003 530i Sport Headlight Adjustment - How
Old 06-29-2012, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330XI
Great information! Do you know where i may be able to find the same or similar information for an e90? The search function didnt yield many positive results. I believe i may have a broken adjuster on my 06 330XI. The Passenger side xenon leans to the lower right.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:39 AM

Mein Auto: '00 540i/6
Just did this job tonight. Great write up. The addition explaining to turn the white servo head 90 degrees using a 5mm deep socket, rather than pulling hard was extremely helpful.

2000 540i Sport 6-speed | Bilsteins | Eurosport CAI | Clears
Old 10-07-2013, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Good lawd...what ever happened to easy adjust headlamps?

From what I have heard of headlamp "correct adjust"...the driver side should be lower then the pasenger side...they should not be "mirrorwise same.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllesklarBMW View Post
Good lawd...what ever happened to easy adjust headlamps?

From what I have heard of headlamp "correct adjust"...the driver side should be lower then the pasenger side...they should not be "mirrorwise same.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Thanks bee
Old 10-22-2013, 10:27 AM

For the record, there is a good thread on how long replacement headlight adjusters last, over here, today, by Fudman:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z168 View Post
Glancing quickly through the DIY threads, there wasnt mention of re-aiming the headlights. Seeing that the adjusters are threaded on one end, would this be a plug n play or do the headlights need readjustment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
My understanding is that headlight needs to be reaimed after replacing the adjusters. Replacement requires complete removal of each adjuster (lateral and vertical). Reinstallation of the new adjuster will mean that the initial position will be different in every case. I don't think the self leveling capability can compensate for that sort of randomness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Is there a ghetto technique where people use zip ties to hold the HL in the correct position. I can't find that thread now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
Fudman is correct. The headlights must be re-aimed.

The LWR automatic aim adjustment simply compensates for relative changes in front and rear ride heights, e.g. loading the trunk which tilts the car to point upward at the front, to maintain vertical aim w.r.t. the road. Also the LWR does not adjust lateral (side to side) aim at all.

"self leveling" is actually a misnomer. There is nothing in the LWR system that senses level with respect to gravity like a carpenter's level. If there was, consider that the headlights would move to "worm hunting" aim when going up a hill or "aircraft searchlight" mode when going down a hill.

If you have your headlight(s) aimed too high or too low, the LWR will faithfully maintain that faulty aim as the car tilts with added passengers or trunk loading.
Quote:
There is. That is what I was attempting to do when my adjusters totally sh!t the bed. You basically use two zip ties, one to form a loop on the bulb wiring and the second to connect the first loop to a lower anchor position. By tightening the second zip tie, you can pull down on the end of the bulb and raise the aim of the bulb. It is not easy as on my MY, there is no really good lower anchor position for the second zip tie. When I was fiddling with the bulb aim, it suddenly drooped down and aimed to about ten feet in front of the car! Hence, my need for new adjusters immediately!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
I found this article one of the best for fixing / checking aim. Requires a little patience though but the results are near perfect.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

in PDF for download:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/images/Aim.pdf
Old 10-22-2013, 10:30 AM

See also:
- Headlight aiming DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to physically remove the BMW E39 Hella headlights (1) & how to twist out the headlight bulbs (1) (2) (3) including HIDs (1) & which stock H7 'halogen' bulbs to buy (1) (2) (3) & how to physically remove the front turn signal bulb (1) (2) (3) (4) & what front turn signal bulb to replace it with (1) & how to remove the angel eye bulb (1) (2) (3) & which stock angel-eye bulbs to buy (1) (2) (3) & how to retrofit halogen angeleye bulbs to LEDs (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to modify pre-facelift headlights to angel eyes (1) (2) (3) (4) & headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & replacing just the headlight lens (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & how to cross reference all light bulbs for any BMW E39 including for the headlights, stoplights, backup, blinkers, dome, vanity, side markers, licplate, parking, fog, trunk/boot, glovebox, etc. (1) & more information if you really want to know everything about broken headlight adjusters (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) & how to make your own headlight adjusters (0) (1) (2) (3) and a summary list of all your options when your headlight adjusters are broken (1) & headlight autopsy photos (1) (2) (3) & an explanation of the weird flat spot on the USA spec headlights (1) (2) & an explanation of HID versus conventional headlights and why the high beam is always a halogen H7 bulb (1) (2) (3) & the age-old argument of whether to buy aftermarket DJ Auto or Depo headlights (1) or OEM Hellas (1).

Quote:
So I ordered the eBay specials for about $20 for two sets (L + R headlamps) shipped. They got here in about four days so everything went well. I followed the following DIY for replacing the adjusters without opening the headlamps.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1622291-2003-Sealed-Headlights-Adjuster-Replacement-(no-cutting)

I even used RDL's tips in this post:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1#post25099321

Replacing the low beam vertical adjuster was easy. However, replacing the lateral adjuster was next to impossible. The problem is poor visibility (can't really see the T15 screw) combined with poor tool access (can't easily reach the T15 screw). After spending several hours trying to figure out how to remove the adjuster holder screw (my T15 torx driver was not long enough), I then tried to bake it open. Only then, did I discover that I had the epoxied headlamps. They were not coming apart. So after a few more hours of consideration, I decided to perform surgery and cut an opening in my headlamp casing. I used a Harbor Freight multitool which did a very nice job of making clean cuts (see pic). Once I had it opened, I simply moved the adjuster holder closer to the AE hole and then used my T15 to remove the screw. I reassembled the adjuster holder with my new adjuster and put it into place. There were no interference problems like Econobox experienced in this thread:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...de-of-Emotions

The assembled adjuster and holder easily slipped into place. I then adjusted the adjuster so that the holder screw was positioned above the hole and started turning the screw the T15 tight. It went right in with no issues. I reset the adjuster for the midpoint position and then proceeded to close up the patient. Since the multitool made such clean cuts, I was able to epoxy the "panel cover" back into place. Once I decided to cut the lamp open, the entire process took less than 30 minutes to complete.

Everything is reinstalled and it works great.
Here are some tips that others didn't mention:
1. When removing the old adjuster ball from the holder, you need to depress a small tab before opening up the holder wings and prying the ball out. This tab locks the ball in place, just like a zip tie.
2. Following RDL's guidance, I use a zip tie instead of piano wire (who has a piano?) to pull the holder onto the adjuster. Use a needle nose to bend the zip tie into a U, which then loops onto the holder and allows you to pull it on.
3. Use a little silicon grease to lube the adjuster screw hole. This makes adjusting the headlamps much easier later.
If you have the proper tools, cutting an opening is the easiest way to replace your lateral adjuster.
Quote:
Forgot to post the photos.
First one is the adjuster holder with screw. See the retaining tab.
The second is the access panel opening I cut with the "cover" laying on the side. The adjustor screw is clearly visible.
The third is the access panel cover epoxied back in place.

Last edited by bluebee; 10-28-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i Sport
E39 Halogen Hella #132656 ball-end stalk source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Unfortunately, for me (and many others), when I tried to remove the "glove" around the ball-end of the stalk, the flimsy ultrasonically welded plate ruptured into three additional pieces.
bluebee,
Did you ever find a source for the Hella E39 Halogen ball-end stalk that broke? Mine broke too I would hate to spend half a day searching at Pick-n-Pull or fabricating a metal plate to replace the plastic.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i, 2004 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_530i_Sport View Post
bluebee,
Did you ever find a source for the Hella E39 Halogen ball-end stalk that broke? Mine broke too I would hate to spend half a day searching at Pick-n-Pull or fabricating a metal plate to replace the plastic.
Damn, mine broke today too. Has anyone found a part number for it?
2008 335i Coupe / Black Sapphire Metallic / Saddle Brown
2011 335is Coupe / Space Grey / Coral Red
2002 525i Steel Blue / Grey
(also 2004 Miata)
Old 03-03-2014, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A6 2003 2.7T
alright, i read through the pages, i have a 2000 e39 m5, and it has the hella projector Xenon headlights. I have the two plastic adjusters, i turn them the wheel underneath it spins but i get nothing out of them?

I'm confused am i supposed to do both at the same time?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i Sport
Check Adjuster hole size before installing !

If the headlights don't adjust when you turn the two adjusters your "Headlight adjusters" are broken. You can also tell by grabbing the bulb sockets and trying to "gently" wiggle them. If one adjuster is broken it will move some in only one direction. If both are broken it will be floppy and easy to move.

Follow the latest directions in the forum and you can replace without cutting or ungluing your Hella assemblies.

Only affordable sources I found for replacement adjusters are sellers on ebay. I got mine from windowregshop and although the first set that arrived had holes for the screws that were too big they were prompt in sending another set from a new supplier they had switched to.

IMPORTANT: Check the hole size of whatever adjusters you get before you get them installed so you don't find out that they are too big and strip after you have installed them!!Otherwise you may need to do the installation process twice

My second set of adjustors from windowregshop came with a yellow sticker on bags reading "BMW 00 - 03 152". The holes measure 0.172-0.177" (US inches in diameter) constantly on all two hole parts and 0.171-0.176" on the single hole part. Worked great. Holes that were too big were 0.185" and larger.

Good luck.