Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-16-2009, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: Texas
E46 Coupe Front License Plate Installation

Having searched the web, it seems most people are interested in taking off the front license plate, but I need to put one on. I have a E46 coupe (330ci) and part# 51118245103. That part has a plastic tab that slips into the bumper and two plastic clips that connect to the underside of the front bumper, but that doesn't seem like it will hold it on very tightly. It looks like the wind will push the part down, and undo the clips. There are some holes in this part besides the ones needed for mounting the plate, but none behind them in the car. Are the clips really all that hold this part to the front bumper? Are there any other parts I should get for mounting my front license plate?

Also, does anyone have a picture of the chrome front license plate holder, part 51118255006? I'm thinking it may look nicer.
Ads by Google
Old 07-23-2009, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: 323ci 325is
front plate e46

$4.88 worth of hardware from Lowes. Forget the $60 plastic design from BMWNA. It requires holes in the front facia and looks like a nose.
A couple of galvanized lightweight braces from the hardware section. You can bend a section to the angle required. It can screw under the bumper where it can't be seen. Add a couple of coloured plastic screwcaps to cover the head of the plate bolts. It looks much better than anything I have seen. Write me for pictures. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
I won't tell you not to get the chrome based on my personal preference, but on my last 2 cars which were both E46's, I purposely deleted all the chrome.....

I have the holder you posted a link to but DANG that Is expensive for a piece of plastic!

I'd look on ebay or in the classifieds for a license plate holder. Either that Or I'd mount it on the lower grille, depending on what bumper you have.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 02-18-2010, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 330Cic
Front license plate issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HormelMenot View Post
Having searched the web, it seems most people are interested in taking off the front license plate, but I need to put one on. I have a E46 coupe (330ci) and part# 51118245103. That part has a plastic tab that slips into the bumper and two plastic clips that connect to the underside of the front bumper, but that doesn't seem like it will hold it on very tightly. It looks like the wind will push the part down, and undo the clips. There are some holes in this part besides the ones needed for mounting the plate, but none behind them in the car. Are the clips really all that hold this part to the front bumper? Are there any other parts I should get for mounting my front license plate?

Also, does anyone have a picture of the chrome front license plate holder, part 51118255006? I'm thinking it may look nicer.
Hello, Did you ever solve this issue? Im in the same boat. Any ideas?
Thanks
George
Bigline29@aol.com