Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-17-2009, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Dakota Leather

Greetings all! I just had my '07 328xi detailed at a local car wash. They used Armor All on the interior, and it appears they used it on the seats as well (the seats are really shiny and greasy). My car supposedly came with the premium package with black dakota leather (i still have the sticker, and it shows it there as well), but my friend keeps telling me it it's leatherette.

My 'leather' is textured, and has always been pretty thick and tough, not soft at all. Is this how the dakota leather is? Is there a definite way to tell the difference between them? If it is the dakota leather, will Armor All damage it?

I've attached a few images that shows the texturing of the seats, if it helps. Thanks, I really appreciate any help with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0094.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	185921   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0095.jpg
Views:	997
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	185922   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0096.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	439.4 KB
ID:	185923  
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Pok Gai 1.0

Mein Auto: '09 E92 335i M-Sport
kizel, prepared to get flamed from other's here

but seriously imho, armor all is terrible for leather - i don't think it's made for that

and a car wash detail is even worse- i hope they didn't put buffer/hologram marks on your car.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Looks like Dakota leather to me. Do you have the auto dimming mirrors and bluetooth? That's another way to confirm premium package.
Retired 05 545i
Old 05-17-2009, 10:51 AM
BMW d Driver

Mein Auto: e46 M3, 335d
Looks like the leather to me as well.

You can usually tell just by the smell to be honest. Leather smells like leather.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
That's what my leather looks like too. It's not very soft. Leatherette feels more rubberish.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Same here, from the photos it looks like leather (the leatherette has much smaller simulated "pebbles" or texture). Plus, like others have said, smell it. From my understanding, Armor All is a vinyl (leatherette) and plastic protector and should not be used on leather, where you need conditioners and oils to keep it from wearing/cracking/etc. You should kindly ask your car wash not to use Armor all in the interior!

Haha, I'm probably asking for some flames, but I think the BMW leatherette is actually pretty high quality (i.e. looks pretty good) and durable too. I had it on my E46 (looked/felt great after five years) but went with the beige dakota leather this time. Personally, I think BMW's nappa leather is much nicer and more supple. Okay fine, they're on the much more expensive models, but I don't think BMW's dakota leather matches up to other competitors in the same price range.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:11 PM
BMW d Driver

Compared to the leather in my e46 M3, the Dakota leather is not as nice. Still decent though.

I agree the BMW leatherette is not too bad, but the Dakota is better IMO
Old 05-17-2009, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 318 ES Edition 2008
I have dakota black and it looks just like that.

Armor All do a range of products, so if they used Armour All Leather Care, no worries, if they used Armor All Protectant I'd be a bit worried.

If I was you I'd probably play it safe and apply a light leather cleaner followed by a leather cream, otherwise whatever they applied might dry your leather out.

2008 E90 318 ES Edition T.Silver
Old 05-17-2009, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I hate the old school Armour All shiny stuff. If they put that on your seats, wash it off and put a good leather conditioner on. I like the Lexol cleaner and conditioner.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: Space 335i
I wouldn't worry too much about the Armor All... it's not like you have been using it on your seats a dozen times or more. I would just get a leather cleaner (I recommend Zaino Bros.) and conditioner and your seats will smell and feel great.

Space Grey | Creme Beige | Dark Burl | Step | ZPP | ZSP | Nav iDrive | Logic-7 | CA | Shade | DeBadged | 35% tint | SS Pedals | ITG Filter | M3 Spoiler | M-Tech Steering Wheel | M-Tech SideSkirts | OEM AeroLip | MORR VS8's | GY F1 Aysm's | Procede Rev.II Canbus
Old 05-17-2009, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 435 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz View Post
Compared to the leather in my e46 M3, the Dakota leather is not as nice. Still decent though.

I agree the BMW leatherette is not too bad, but the Dakota is better IMO
Well that's because its a M3 and therefore BMW puts higher quality leather into that car. Just like the brakes and engine are "better" in your M3 than in a regular e90 3 series.

Estoril Blue
Black Leather
Hexagon trim
Estoril Blue matte finisher

6 Speed Manual

M Sport
Cold Weather
Driver Assistance Package
Driver Assistance Plus
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
19" Light Alloy Wheels (style 442M grey)
Premium Package
Technology Package
M Sport Brakes
Leather Dashboard
Enhanced Bluetooth
Concierge Services
Parking Assistant
Power Rear Sunshade
Harmon Kardon
M Performance Black Grilles
MPPK
MPE

Ordered on 7/26/2014
Old 05-18-2009, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: Miata
sorry man. Armor all sucks. I'd get that stuck stripped off and use pinnacle leather cleaner and then conditioner. And dakota leather is supposed to be better than your old e46 leather. At least that's what i've read. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 AM
BMW d Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviebumm View Post
Well that's because its a M3 and therefore BMW puts higher quality leather into that car. Just like the brakes and engine are "better" in your M3 than in a regular e90 3 series.
Yup, it sure is nice though
Old 05-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Driving like I stole it.

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Cabriolet 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagolli94 View Post
I hate the old school Armour All shiny stuff. If they put that on your seats, wash it off and put a good leather conditioner on. I like the Lexol cleaner and conditioner.
The Lexol smells really good to me for some reason. Kinda fruity but not citrus. Vanilla mango and leather maybe...

"You know you're having fun when your tires melt."
-Shocktopus, after a day of autocrossing in August
Old 05-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Professional Beer Drinker

Mein Auto: 08 328 and 03 325Ci
You have Dakota Leather. Your pic looks exactly like the interior in my car. I would just wipe off the excess armorall with a slightly damp cloth and at your next opportunity clean and condition your leather using a product specifically designed for leather. I used the Zymol kit (cleaner and conditioner) and my car smells great.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Excitmnt94 Send a message via Yahoo to Excitmnt94
Mein Auto: '09 135i coupe
it is leather. i can tell by the way it is pulled and stitched in picture 1. no question.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
I wouldn't recommend using Armor All on any part of your car, because it is shiny and kind of sticky (not a sentence I enjoyed writing, btw). However, it will not hurt your leather. Vinyl protectants, like 303 etc can help seal the leather and protect it against sun damage. So, no worries.

I would go ahead and clean the seats, but the armor all will just disappear on it's own in time anyway.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Trend Setter!

Mein Auto: BMW 335i ///M Sport
Zaino is pretty good.. really like it.
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Code=Z-9
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...duct_Code=Z-10

Last edited by deznium; 05-18-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I have used Lexol, Zymol, Meguiars and Zaino leather care products. All of them are good products in my opinion. Meguiars makes an interior detail spay and a vinyl and rubber protectant. Either of these is superior to Armoral and they do not leave the greasy look that armoral does.

I found that the Dakota Leather looks much better if it is cleaned and conditioned regulally. I do it at least once a month,

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 05-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Trend Setter!

Mein Auto: BMW 335i ///M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I have used Lexol, Zymol, Meguiars and Zaino leather care products. All of them are good products in my opinion. Meguiars makes an interior detail spay and a vinyl and rubber protectant. Either of these is superior to Armoral and they do not leave the greasy look that armoral does.

I found that the Dakota Leather looks much better if it is cleaned and conditioned regulally. I do it at least once a month,

CA
+1
Same here...
Old 05-18-2009, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335i E90
Don't quote me, but I don't think it'll hurt your leather. You'll probably want to use a good leather conditioner anyway though.

Generally, I use the old shiny armour-all on the few pieces of "hard" plastics, and the "natural finish" (dull) armour-all on the soft touch plastics (like the dash). I use a leather conditioner on the leather. Seems to work well.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 335i, 525i
Zaino 1+. April 2007 build, leather like new.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Montego Blue 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
kizel, prepared to get flamed from other's here

but seriously imho, armor all is terrible for leather - i don't think it's made for that

and a car wash detail is even worse- i hope they didn't put buffer/hologram marks on your car.
The way I read the OP's post, he didn't necessarily pick the Armor All, that's just want the detailing place used.

To the OP: that looks like real leather. I agree with others here: use the Zaino Z-9 (leather cleaner) and Zaino Z-10 (leather conditioner). That's what I use. There are other suitable alternatives, but Armor all is NOT one of them. Leatherique is also good, but much more costly, and mostly for severely dry and cracked leather.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:52 AM

Thanks for your advice everyone, and letting me know about the choice products. Since the detail job was a little spendy, I'm debating whether or not to go back to the shop and have them clean off the armor all and put on a good leather conditioner. I'll definitely be doing it myself from now on though, and will try a few of the different products that were suggested.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:56 PM

Ok, just got back from the shop. The manager claims they always use Armor All on the leather, but they will use Lexol if it's requested. He said they use Armor All on every car they get in, Ferraris, Bentleys, etc. Oh well, think I'll still be doing it myself from now on. Thanks everyone.