BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How do I get the starter off?

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  rick69cam 
#1 ·
I have an 01 530I, auto tranny dated after 3/01 (not the GM). Got the code P0741. Changed the oil. Still got the code. After talking to you guys and a tranny guy here in town we figure it's a high probability I have a bad torque convertor. 1200 bucks for a new one but OEM convertors in Pt Orchard, Wa will rebuild mine for less that $500, depends on which TQ I have. He says he gets lots of them from german cars. Hmmm.
Started pulling off parts. Exhaust, driveline, insulation, tranny lines, air intake. Uh, oh. Have to make a run to Sears to get a Torx head socket set. Pulled the wires on the starter (why'd they put it way up there?). Pulled the tranny and starter bolts. Starter won't come loose. Looks like I have to get it off before I pull tranny. Bolts are out. Hmmm. There appears to be an alignment pin holding it on. Is it just corroded? Should I get a really big pry bar and wedge it off? Nope. I'm going to ask for help before I do some thing stupid and break the bell housing or starter.
HELP!

#4 ·
Well, I got it off. A buddy came by (thank god!) and noticed the motor was tipped in front. I was thinking motor weight was in the back like my Chevy. Nope, motor tips to front. Straightened the motor and wedged the starter off. The starter pin was corroded and bent (my fault) when I got it off. The right way to get this tranny out is to pull the starter first then remove the rest of the bolts holding the tranny.
Time for another beer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.