Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 05-19-2009, 05:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to dazza_gt
Mein Auto: 1992 325i
Question window switch upgrade

hi
i have a 1992 325i, and the window switches have the white backing(no auto up/down feature) i have aquired switches with the green backing(with auto up/down feature)
i have the wiring loom aswell/. has anyone installed these switches? and if so what is required?

regards, daniel.
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 93 325i
I think the automatic up and down have to do with the window motor not the switch. I replaced a door and came across this. the window switchs just have a simple plug on the back. i might be wrong about the up down thing tho but they sell 2 diffrent kind of window motors on bav auto.. GL
Old 05-19-2009, 05:21 PM

i hooked up a multimeter to the both switches to see which wires were which(up/down) i connected the positive and negative to a 9 volt battery, and found the on the white based switch the up/down wire had constant voltage of 9 volts, but when the up button was pushed, the voltage on the up wire would go down to 0volts, and same with the down button and wire, but on the green based switch, it did the opposite, - going from 0volts to 9 volts. i respect it could be the auto motor needed to put the window down automatically, but to simply get the switch to work, would a relay of some sort (maybe a comfort relay) be needed?
thanks, daniel
Old 05-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Zinnobitch

Send a message via AIM to Soviet1942 Send a message via MSN to Soviet1942 Send a message via Skype™ to Soviet1942
Mein Auto: 1987 325is
Want to sell me the white backing window switches? I need two, pigtails would be epic if you have

Last edited by Soviet1942; 05-19-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:37 AM

naa sorry, il be needing them soon to replace a couple in my car, but it depends if i get the other ones to work the way i want. sorry mate.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:53 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza_gt View Post
i respect it could be the auto motor needed to put the window down automatically, but to simply get the switch to work, would a relay of some sort (maybe a comfort relay) be needed?
thanks, daniel
More likely, you will need the fancier, ZKE central module that understands the switch's one-touch protocol. I suspect your car has a ZVM module that doesn't.

I don't know if it is worth the trouble, but it might help if you were to post a picture of the modules behind the glove box. I believe that's where you will find these things on a RHD car.

Last edited by johnf; 05-20-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:14 AM
vek-mw

Send a message via AIM to bboyvek Send a message via MSN to bboyvek
Mein Auto: 1995 bmw 325i
wouldnt the one touch modules that umnitza, ddmtuning, and other sell do the trick?
Criminal Law Attorney Carrboro
Costum Web Applications Web Design
Clasificados Empleos Ventas
Landscaping
Old 05-20-2009, 08:50 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Probably with the older, non-one-touch switches: the aftermarket one-touch module could provide the missing, one-touch electronics and jam protection. The module might need some tuning, however, if it was designed for a heftier window.

For example, I was able to use a couple Autoloc WC1000 units for my rear, swing out windows -- after I had changed three resistors in each to accommodate the windows' starting delay, travel time and stall current. Fortunately, they could have been designed 30 years ago, which made them straightforward to decode and modify.

Last edited by johnf; 05-20-2009 at 02:33 PM.