Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 325i Convertible
94 BMW 325i Convertible top Problems

the top for my 1994 325i Convertible will not go down. The windows go down when I press the switch but the top motor does not seem to be operating. If I disengaged the motor (pulled the lever under the passneger seat), how do I re-engage it?

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 05-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 323 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by skgold1 View Post
the top for my 1994 325i Convertible will not go down. The windows go down when I press the switch but the top motor does not seem to be operating. If I disengaged the motor (pulled the lever under the passneger seat), how do I re-engage it?

Thanks
Can you hear a motor running ? they're on the left side of the boot/trunk , remove the trim panel on the left , see this post http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129960 .
Old 05-20-2009, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 325i Convertible
Thank you. Got it fixed.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: e36 325i,e36 325ic
Try this:
Old 05-27-2009, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 325ic
Great!

This worked perfectly! Thank you! And especially thank you for the video!!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 325i Conv
Thanks...I just purchased a 94 325i conv and this was helpful in case I had to put the top up in an emergency

What year was the red conv in your video? I have a red conv too and trying to find out the exact leather color to get it fixed.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1994 325i
this was helpfull, but only to the point where the top going up stopped just before the rear raised up enough for the rear cover to come down. the raising rate slowed and stopped before full lift of the rear window section. Then nothing more up or down. Is there a micro switch problem that does not allow the top motor to keep running to the end of the cycle ?? Any help or reference to another source for full operational details and trouble shooting ? Just bought this 94 325i with 61,000 miles and otherwise runs great, shows little wear. Think I got a pretty good buy as it also has the factory hardtop and 18 inch chrome wheels with almost new Pirelli Net Zero tires all for $6000. Appreciate any advise, comments
Old 06-27-2009, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 325ic
94 325i Convertible top problems all started with pulling the manual release under the seat. Its been all down hill from there. Nothing I could do from this site help, problems just changed. I need someone that knows how to fix BMW tops within 100 miles of Atlanta area short of the stealership. Any suggestions or referrals are greatly appreciated. If I have to take it to the stealership I'm afraid its history. You'll be seeing my next post to part it out. Thanks, Eric.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 Mercedes Benz TD
I'm picking up a 1995 BMW 325i next week. My first BMW. Anyway, it's in great shape, clean interior/exterior, 89k, satalite radio, all the perks. There's only one problem, the top wont go down. the seller knows nothing about any methods for fixing top, and is otherwise not interested in trying. She just picked up a 2010 convertible Audi Quattro deal and has moved on. The point is here, I hope I can apply the methods used in this video to help my situation out. If not, I was wondering if there is anyone within a 100 mile radius to Ann Arbor Michigan who could help me out. Get back with me please.

Thanks,

Page (my first post)
Old 07-26-2009, 08:55 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
First of all never pull the red handle unless you cannot get the top up. It is not for lowering and when you re sync it you have done nothing toward solving your problem.
If you want help then be specific. Statements like the top will not go down don't help. What did you do to try to get it down?
Unless you want to spend a lot of money on solving the problem then start with the specifics.
For example 94-95 vert were semi automatic 96 on automatic. That means you unlatch the top and push it up about 8" to a foot then try the switch and you hold the switch not just touch it.
Did you do that? What happened, is the light on of flashing?

Same with closing, typically the micro switch on the passenger side boot that covers the top doesn't make contact, you need to push down on the passenger side of the boot to make contact to get it to raise. Otherwise it thinks it is still closed and not likely to open.

Specifically state what is going on. I think bimmerforums.com has the best data base of problems with diagrams and videos which can help. Go to e36 section and look under the convertibles for reference...
Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 328 Ci
Many Thanks

Special thanks to Zach, these videos are great! I just cruised Bimmerfest for the first time today with skepticism...and ticked off from the perpetual semi-auto convertible top dilemmas.

One simple maneuver and it works like a charm...without the next $400 service charge from my mechanic. Fantastic! Now you can imagine what I'm thinking about my mechanic.

Thanks again Zach!
Old 06-06-2010, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 325i convert
I cannot open my top lid to manually put down my top.... It is locked and won't budge.. Please help me
Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 95 BMW 325iC
Thumbs up Convertible Top: fixed

I just bought a 95 BMW 325i Convertible. The top wouldn't go down or up. I followed the video and with a little trial and error I was able to get the top working. Apparently, both motors (top and tunnel) were disengaged. Once I clicked them back into place, it all worked. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9Q_640.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	252678  

Last edited by jspopp; 10-31-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 325i
Unhappy my top did not go down due to back cover not open

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolaskow View Post
I cannot open my top lid to manually put down my top.... It is locked and won't budge.. Please help me
i have the same proble i manualy realesed the motor lever on the left passanger side and wont open? any help?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:07 PM

If you lift the rear seat cushion up, there is a pull handle. Pull the handle toward the front of the car, and you will hear some thuds (two exactly) from he trunk. Those thuds are the motors disengaging. One is the roof and the other is the cover. You should be able to lower the roof manually.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:59 PM

can not open the back the cover

I was able to pull one of the motor with the red handle, but the back cover does not cover can not be open manually,- i think the second motor can not be manually disengage as i pull the lever-?
one more thing one of the rear windows don`t come down does that has anything to do with it?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:10 PM

Unhappy the top lid problem

the top lid won`t open even though i pulled the handle, i can not manually open it
i went back to the trunk on the left side there is a lever i tried to pull it down but still wont open the lid any feedback?
Old 04-22-2011, 05:48 AM

The other thing you can do is open the trunk pull back the lining on the left hand side. The lid motor is on the left hand side. The disengage lever is located there. Pull it and you should here a thud. You should also see the cover motor disengaged as well. Once both motors are disengaged, you can lower the roof manually
Old 04-22-2011, 10:01 PM

Angry convertable top problem electrical semi convertable

My 325i bmw top doest work I checked both motors for the top and the lild and both seen to be working is there a module that control all the switchea were should I start troubleshootin? Any expert advise?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:00 AM

There's two motors in the trunk and there is a microswitch on the right hand side under the cover lid. If you press it, you can hear it click. This switch prevents you from opening the trunk and the lid at the same time. These are the only things I looked at. Beyond that, I'm not sure. If the lid and top are secured (I mean, that you can't move it by hand), then the motors are still engaged. Double check those to make sure they are disengaged. After that, I'm not sure wha else you can do. It took me a while to figure it all out too. Good luck.