Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
2000 328i Camshaft position actuator tight or jammed, P1523

trying to figure out why this problem is causeing my check engine light to be on, the other night i bottomed out my car on a pot hole cracked the oil pan and didnt realize it at the time. the next day i drove the car a few miles before i realized what happened and the car had no oil.
I fixed the oil pan and the car holds oil now, The engine sounds like it is running normal but the check engine light is trippin me out and i am getting this code P1523 . would running the car out of oil of cause this code to come up or would the impact of bottoming out cause it? any help is apreciated ty.
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
It appears to be a vanos problem. Having read another thread recently about oil pressure and how the vanos unit works, I'm a little concerned that you may have some pretty serious damage running the engine without oil.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...74&postcount=5

Also see this...

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 05-22-2009, 01:37 PM

talked to a bmw mechanic today over the phone, told him in detail what caused the problems, he says my problem is both my camshaft sensors need to be replaced. cant do just the intake have to do both, and im looking at 650$ to get it fixed, does this sound right???

Last edited by tk4454; 05-22-2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: updateing
Old 05-23-2009, 06:42 AM
(o0\(III)(III)/0o)

Mein Auto: 99 E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk4454 View Post
talked to a bmw mechanic today over the phone, told him in detail what caused the problems, he says my problem is both my camshaft sensors need to be replaced. cant do just the intake have to do both, and im looking at 650$ to get it fixed, does this sound right???
No, it does not sound right at all. Sounds like the vanos actuators got stuck because of no oil to me. I would drive it hard to try to jar the actuators loose to begin with and if that doesn't fix it, I would order both sensors and DIY them. There are posts on here to help you, you really don't need help for the exhaust one, but the intake one is a bit harder to get to and you will need a new vanos o-ring and oil hose washers. I happen to have an extra vanos o-ring if you need it.

BTW, by car was giving me that code a long time ago....I lived in a cold environment and my thermostat was malfunctioning, so the engine temp would never warm up...I had mayonaise stuff on my dipstick. After I changed the thermostat, the mayo went away, the car was warming up to normal, and the vanos stuck code went away by itself. Yours is probably unrelated to the thermostat though unless your situation is similar to mine.

ADR gunmetal 18's, Clears up front & sides, DVD system mounted in headrests + 1 up front, Dinan CAI + software
Mirror tint all around, M-TECH II front bumper, Front and rear Foglights

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:30
Old 05-23-2009, 04:28 PM

so i took my car to the bmw shop , had it inspected cost me 113 $ not so bad there, wanted to know everything that was wrong got a bill for 2500.00 thats 1/4th the price of the car, frickin crazy. they told me the sensors may not need to be replaced but they need to start out by changeing the vanos solenoid.(200$ aprox. ) and a vanos gasket seal/ v/c gasket (360$) . so JVR was right in saying it was a vanos related problem, now i have to hope its just the solenoid and not the sensors, is there a walkthrough for replaceing the vanos solenoid someone can give me a link too, thanks for all the help and input so far.

Last edited by tk4454; 05-23-2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: had another q
Old 05-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 528i 5sp 06/00

First, check to see if you have an OEM exhaust CPS. Use a mirror and flashlight to look at the side of the CPS. If it's OEM it'll have a BMW logo. If it's not OEM replace it with a part from the dealership.

Second, replace the vanos exhaust solenoid valve (piston). It's #4 on this parts diagram. You'll need a deep 32mm socket to take off the solenoid while the vanos is mounted. You might need to remove the fan/shroud for work space. You will get oil drainage.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...70&hg=11&fg=15

Third, replace the vanos seals.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:43 PM

i forgot to update this last month but i fixed my problem , i got a used camshaft solenoid put it in cleared my codes, and no c.e.l. codes have came back so im pretty happy, so the air leak code and the camshaft sensor code all was cause the dam camshaft solenoid. cost me 30 bucks doing it myself instead of the 200 to start with the dealership and whatever else they woulda raped me on
Old 06-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i
Please find a good mechanic that works on imports and stop taking it to the dealer!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw 328 is
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm check this out a great diy..