Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Retrofit an Autodim, compass & Homelink mirror for $100 onto my 06 X3

I just retrofit an Autodim, compass & Homelink UGDO mirror for $100 onto my 2006 X3.

First, I won this mirror for $100 on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170330099917

It came froma 2007 750, and the seller said it had a Homelink garage door opener feature. Turns out it also had a compass. Sweet.

Anyhow, I retrofit a compass mirror onto my e46 a few years ago and that was much more challenging. My e46 did not have a rain sensor or autodim, so I needed to tap into a power source to run the mirror. This turned out to be a 15 minute project and totally plug and play.

These are the instructions I wrote a few years back, showing how to remove the mirror and also to calibrate the compass mirror / set the compass zone:
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mirror/compass.htm

Here is a comparison of my 06 X3 mirror vs. my '07 750 ebay mirror:

The harnesses on both mirrors turned out to be identical:

...and a comparison of the pinnouts from the BMW WDS (http://spaghetticoder.org/bmw/wds/) showed the power / grounds to be on the same pins:

7 series mirror pinnout:

X3 pinnout:

That was pretty much it... Totally plug and play... A dealer charges 2 hours to install this, plus about $500 for the mirror... I say I did OK here...

Some installed pics:

After calibrating the compass. Notice it works... Showing the same direction as my Garmin:
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2009, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Great job.

Are all bmw homelink review mirrors compatibe with the x3? How did you remove the mirror?

One other question - do you have the factory alarm. I noticed that on REALoem that there is a separate number for ones with the alarm. The one listed for without a factory alarm does not include a compass.

Do you think I could get the one with the compass to work on my car even though I don't have a alarm?

thanks

Last edited by codog2; 05-23-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
Great job.

Are all bmw homelink review mirrors compatibe with the x3? How did you remove the mirror?
For the most part... Anything from 2003 on (when UGDO came as an option on the mirror) should work... You just may need to change the pinnout (as I did on my e46).

I linked the instructions on how to remove the mirror in the beginning of the post... Here it is again:
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mirror/compass.htm
Old 05-23-2009, 09:23 AM

So... I just got bored and decided that the X3 autodim mirror from 2006 was a lot nicer than the e46 autodim mirror from 2004. My e46 has a UGDO (in the headliner) so the UGDO mirror was not necessary... Also, it has a giant clown nose and the Assist buttons. Since my Assist unit was long ago swapped for a Bluetooth ULF, the buttons do nothing and I have a bulky mirror for no reason... Not anymore...

this is an 04 e46 Autodim / Assist mirror:

...and my e46 wearing a clean 2006 X3 autodim mirror with low-profile clown nose and autodim:
Old 05-23-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
Great job.

Do you think I could get the one with the compass to work on my car even though I don't have a alarm?

thanks
Yes. The "clown nose" just stays off all the time without an alarm. You can actually buy a mirror without the clown nose and with compass, but a used one with clown nose will be much cheaper....
Old 05-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Nice job! Does the compass dims out at night/lights on?
Old 05-23-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
Nice job! Does the compass dims out at night/lights on?
The compass always stays bright... just the mirror dims...

BTW, this compass mirror seems much nicer than mine from my e46 which is about 3 years old now... youd never know there was a compass in it while off... the older style one has a 1/4" black cutout in the glass thats black that turns on when the car is on....
Old 07-19-2009, 11:58 PM
Quality

Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Mein Auto: 330i
SNA77,
You are my BMW DIY hero!

I'm always a mod behind you...

Quote:
$600+ at the dealership, $500+ at eBay/Online stores but not for me...

Why eBay auction rules all!

Now it is DIY time...

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
Old 07-20-2009, 05:56 AM

Good luck! BTW, he cut the wiring harness on the compass mirror! What an idiot... It unclips right there...
Old 07-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Good luck! BTW, he cut the wiring harness on the compass mirror! What an idiot... It unclips right there...
Should the cut wires on the new mirror splice up okay to the current harness situation in my old mirror easily according to color?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Should the cut wires on the new mirror splice up okay to the current harness situation in my old mirror easily according to color?
they should... although you may be short a cable or 2 on your old harness... No big deal though, as you can order more wires / pins. Just makes it more than a 5 minute project...
Old 07-20-2009, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
Quote:
they should... although you may be short a cable or 2 on your old harness... No big deal though, as you can order more wires / pins. Just makes it more than a 5 minute project...
Did you have to change anything on the pinout? Also I saw how to program the compass in your instructions but how do you program the garage remote? Great job - looks good.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalfee View Post
Did you have to change anything on the pinout? Also I saw how to program the compass in your instructions but how do you program the garage remote? Great job - looks good.

http://www.homelink.com/programming/programming.taf

You shouldn't need to change anything on the pinnout...
Old 07-24-2009, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Hey, sna77 - I got a E65/66 mirror with autodim and Homelink to put in my '04 X3 without autodim. Do you know if the vehicle wiring harness will match up, or will I have to add pins to match the pinout on the new mirror side?

Second, the factory instructions can scare the poop out of you about the removal (it says "Do not remove interior mirror (1) towards rear or by twisting (risk of damage)" -- sure got my attention!). Is the rotation of the mirror to the right all that is required? Guess I am a little confused by the difference between "twisting" (BAD!) and rotating (GOOD?).

Thanks in advance for your excellent help.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Quality

Quote:
SNA77.
The mirror comes tommorrow with UPS. In the meantime I been reading up on the DIY and when I look at the picture again I get the feeling that he may have cut the wires about the clip in harness. So when I get the mirror the harness should still be connected with only the wires cut that are going into the car...

Base on your experience and what you see in the pictures does that make sense?

Thanks.
I'm trying to prep myself for the DIY ahead of time.

Last edited by delmarco; 07-26-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Hey, sna77 - I got a E65/66 mirror with autodim and Homelink to put in my '04 X3 without autodim. Do you know if the vehicle wiring harness will match up, or will I have to add pins to match the pinout on the new mirror side?

Second, the factory instructions can scare the poop out of you about the removal (it says "Do not remove interior mirror (1) towards rear or by twisting (risk of damage)" -- sure got my attention!). Is the rotation of the mirror to the right all that is required? Guess I am a little confused by the difference between "twisting" (BAD!) and rotating (GOOD?).

Thanks in advance for your excellent help.

Its really easy to take the mirror off. Just spin or rotate it gently to the right. just dont pull on it and it will pop out just fine...
Old 07-27-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
SNA77.
The mirror comes tommorrow with UPS. In the meantime I been reading up on the DIY and when I look at the picture again I get the feeling that he may have cut the wires about the clip in harness. So when I get the mirror the harness should still be connected with only the wires cut that are going into the car...

Base on your experience and what you see in the pictures does that make sense?

Thanks.
I'm trying to prep myself for the DIY ahead of time.

Any update? Where were the wires cut?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Quality

Quote:
Still waiting for UPS...

they got me at my front door pacing back and forth like a crackhead.
It says OUT FOR DELIVERY so any minute now. I will take a picture of what arrives and post it up.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
THANKS! Project for tonight. Just didn't want glass crumbles in my lap because I didn't ask.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Quality

Quote:
UPS finally came at 6.47pm. I was so pissed waiting all day for them. Anyway I completed the mirror upgrade. I was right, he did cut the wires above the clip in anchor so all I had to do was un clip my old mirror and clip in the new one. It took me all night to calibrate it though because the reset button at the bottom seemed to be recessed deep inside the hole so I had to fish for it until something happened. Because of this it is a beeyotch to calibrate. When I finally got the C up I was driving the car around in circles for like 5 minutes before it calibrated to actual directions. Then I had to set the zone which actually was quicker at about 3 minutes because the reset button wasn't so shy anymore. Pics coming.
As for the HomeLink and Temperature Display features I will wait until tommorrow and see if I can get a manual PDF online for this mirror.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
UPS finally came at 6.47pm. I was so pissed waiting all day for them. Anyway I completed the mirror upgrade. I was right, he did cut the wires above the clip in anchor so all I had to do was un clip my old mirror and clip in the new one. It took me all night to calibrate it though because the reset button at the bottom seemed to be recessed deep inside the hole so I had to fish for it until something happened. Because of this it is a beeyotch to calibrate. When I finally got the C up I was driving the car around in circles for like 5 minutes before it calibrated to actual directions. Then I had to set the zone which actually was quicker at about 3 minutes because the reset button wasn't so shy anymore. Pics coming.
As for the HomeLink and Temperature Display features I will wait until tommorrow and see if I can get a manual PDF online for this mirror.

Glad you got it on... Sounds like you have a finicky button... both of mine calibrated w/o issue.

BTW, no manual for this specific mirror, they all use these instructions:

Quote:
http://www.homelink.com/programming/programming.taf

You shouldn't need to change anything on the pinnout...
Old 07-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Quality

Quote:
Glad you got it on... Sounds like you have a finicky button... both of mine calibrated w/o issue.

BTW, no manual for this specific mirror, they all use these instructions:
The button was just very recessed and I was using a pin for the first 20 minutes then I used a pen for the next 30 minutes before I realized the button was metallic or slick so I used a rubberized dental pick head to push at it. Once I got to the button and managed to push it the rest was history.

By the way; my new mirror seem to tint on the blue-ish side and I think I have a temperature display. The seller claimed it has that and I see a little F and C and degree characters when the mirror starts up. I don't think anyone that did this upgrade mentioned that?
is it me?

Last edited by delmarco; 07-27-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Quality

Quote:
Here are some pictures of what I did. I will try to creat a E46 specific DIY later in the week.

Last edited by delmarco; 07-27-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Hi sna77,
First of all, thanks for all your DYI tutorials. I successfully added the portable navigation to my 2005 X3 3.0 following your guidance. Much appreciated.
Secondly, I'm doing this mirror mod and definitely need your help. This X3 is my first BMW ever, and I didn't know much about it before buying it in May. I'm been reading and learning about it every day since.
Back to the topic, somehow my X3 doesn't have the autodim mirror but the rain sensor only. I bought an autodim mirror off Ebay last week and tried to change last night.
The original plug only has 2 wires (for the red nose alarm, I guess).
the one from Ebay has 5 wires (the three extra for the autodim ?)
Can you please show me the way to wire the mirror so I can have the autodim?

Thanks and awaiting your answer.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X3 xDrive 30i
WOW!! This is a great DIY project.

sna77: I was wondering if this DIY is possible on an 09 model. I would be very interested in doing this if it's possible.

Thanks.