Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 740iL
I have had people racing to almost tailgate before and slow down really quick. Why? They probably saw my blue and red lights behind the rear windshield. However, I believe the crappy economy might have something to do with this problem. More and more people lost their jobs. So, they are trying to dump their problems to the society. Not a good thing, but it happened. So, ladies, pay attention and do not try to provoke them. Let them pass and get on your way.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampagneKitty View Post
I'm a courteous driver and recently have been experiencing aggressive male drivers in town riding my @ss reving up their engines and passing me when there is no room in front of me (i'm not going too slow) and just acting like they want a showdown or something like that. I'm a small feminine woman. They have all been male drivers in pick-up trucks. I will even say it is abusive. When i drive my other vehicle a Ford F-150, I never EVER experience this. I was wondering if these men were feeling challenged or angry at my 335. Your thoughts?
Unusual choice of words. Most women I know would have described themselves as "petite". And about that SMG, kindly elaborate.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Sedan
Please don't flame me for what I'm about to say, but here's what may be happening...

A lot of people today are in a huge f'n hurry and feel the need to drive fast. I don't know about you, but I consider the speed limit the "speed minimum" and normally drive 10 mph over the posted limit at all times. Other people consider the speed limit pretty much the SPEED LIMIT! When these two groups of people meet...then you get road rage. In fact, when I am forced to drive the speed limit behind one of these "enforcers", I feel like I'm going BACKWARDS in time! That, plus the fact that people who drive trucks LOVE just LOVE to use the size of their vehicles to intimidate drivers of cars to get them out of their way make me think I know what's happening to you. You've already said you don't drive in the passing lane (THANK YOU!) and I think you said this typically happens on one lane roads? Unless you're cutting people off or not using your turn signals, the only thing I can think of is - forgive me - you're driving too slow, maybe legally, but too slow for the pickup driving male crowd you're in front of. When guys ride with you, what do they say about your driving style?

"This situation calls for panic."
Old 05-24-2009, 06:43 PM
BMW d Driver

Mein Auto: e46 M3, 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by thkfast View Post
Please don't flame me for what I'm about to say, but here's what may be happening...

A lot of people today are in a huge f'n hurry and feel the need to drive fast. I don't know about you, but I consider the speed limit the "speed minimum" and normally drive 10 mph over the posted limit at all times. Other people consider the speed limit pretty much the SPEED LIMIT! When these two groups of people meet...then you get road rage. In fact, when I am forced to drive the speed limit behind one of these "enforcers", I feel like I'm going BACKWARDS in time!
I agree with your comments, but also realize some of us are smart enough to know where cops hang out....here there are a lot of cop hot zones that I know to slow down to 5 over or less for as that is the "pull over" limit. People still go flying by me though and sometimes get caught by the cops hiding out.

It varies where you are in the country though and what roads you are on, most around here average around 5 over, some a little bit more, some less. I think it is rude to assume people must drive faster than the speed limit though...it is the limit. If they are way under or cycling speed a lot, ok then be upset, but someone going the limit or just above is not in the wrong at all.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Montego Blue 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz View Post
What about a woman in an e90 M3?

Totally hot. In fact, probably too good for me! Haha.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:51 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328xiT
Don't know whether this is good to do or not, but when I am on a road with a passing lane on my left, and someone seriously tailgates me, I usually just take my foot off the accelerator and let the car gradually slow down until he/she gets fed up and blows by on my left. Sometimes I gently tap the brake pedal to try and get them to back off a bit.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:21 AM
Freedom

Mein Auto: HOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Unusual choice of words. Most women I know would have described themselves as "petite". And about that SMG, kindly elaborate.
Petite is short... i'm not short but slender... SMG = steptronic/paddle shifts.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:47 AM
Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkfast View Post

A lot of people today are in a huge f'n hurry and feel the need to drive fast. I don't know about you, but I consider the speed limit the "speed minimum" and normally drive 10 mph over the posted limit at all times. Other people consider the speed limit pretty much the SPEED LIMIT! When these two groups of people meet...then you get road rage. In fact, when I am forced to drive the speed limit behind one of these "enforcers", I feel like I'm going BACKWARDS in time! That, plus the fact that people who drive trucks LOVE just LOVE to use the size of their vehicles to intimidate drivers of cars to get them out of their way make me think I know what's happening to you. You've already said you don't drive in the passing lane (THANK YOU!) and I think you said this typically happens on one lane roads? Unless you're cutting people off or not using your turn signals, the only thing I can think of is - forgive me - you're driving too slow, maybe legally, but too slow for the pickup driving male crowd you're in front of. When guys ride with you, what do they say about your driving style?
~~~ appreciate your input. I typically drive within the law and with the flow of the traffic and courteous. My son drives an evo "carefully" and he consistantly says, "Mom, you are a Great driver." Last boyfriend said I was a great driver and felt safe with me behind the wheel... no accidents but one speeding ticket on a interstate on a 300 mile hwy trip. I'm very athletic which i think helps me to have confidance behind the wheel and feeling the car's capability at any given moment.... gosh... i sound so narcisistic (sorry about that). the point is i know what i'm doing and i know that i'm experiencing agressive drivers a couple of times a week in small town rural America. From what i'm gathering it's pretty common where ever you live.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredric View Post
Don't know whether this is good to do or not, but when I am on a road with a passing lane on my left, and someone seriously tailgates me, I usually just take my foot off the accelerator and let the car gradually slow down until he/she gets fed up and blows by on my left. Sometimes I gently tap the brake pedal to try and get them to back off a bit.
are you in the center lane? if i can, i always move out of the way of a tailgater... there are soooo many crazies out there, you may get rear ended. it's amazing to me how many ppl out there have drivers license's and No Business being on the road let alone driving on one.

Last edited by sakura; 05-26-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Freedom

Quote:
female in a brightly colored Japanese car with an 'S' after its badge.)
Hi there ~ what is S after the badge?
Old 05-25-2009, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: no car at the moment
He probably meant an Acura Type-S

Always move out of the way of tailgaters. Slowing down can cause a road rage incident. Especially if they start blinking lights. As they say you don't know who's behind the wheel of the other car, and any pride not put in the backseat may cause an incident that you'd regret for life or even cost your life. Here in Long Beach, NY someone was run over at an intersection after he got out to scream at the driver of the other car - all that from a road rage incident (after he was earlier cut off by the person). The guy is dead now. That was just a week or so ago.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Hi there ~ what is S after the badge?
Meina is right about the Type S's, but I also include Corolla S's, Civic S's, Solara S's and all the wannabees. I would also throw in the GTI's and other light artillery.
Nowhere in New England is it legal to pass on the right, but with the 3 lane highways we see it all the time. The guys who have the real cars, the Porsches, the Audis with an 8 in their badge, even the WRX-TI's all pass on the left.
What is it about wannabees, are they trying to make a statement and if so what is it?
(Note to Toyota fans, yes, Solara did come in an S model, they just didn't sell it everywhere.)
Old 05-25-2009, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
From BMW_GAL's signature:
"Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4 "
No doubt a Freudian slip.
I've got a British sort of mind:

belles = bells
theatre = theater
kompressor = compressor

Its all the same, but with an added touch

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 05-25-2009, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: '14 335i 6MT
Quote:
Petite is short... i'm not short but slender... SMG = steptronic/paddle shifts.
Ya might want to correct that. SMG and Steptronic are two completely different things. SMG means Sequential Manual Gearbox, and it's a specific type of manual transmission with a hydraulically-actuated clutch offered on the M5, M6, E46 3-Series, and a smattering of other Bimmers. On the 3-Series, the SMG has been replaced by the M-DCT (Dual-Clutch Transmission) and is currently offered exclusively on the new M3. The SMG was never offered on the 335i or any E90 for that matter.

You'll probably continue to get questions and confusion if you keep calling your Step w/paddles an SMG...

09.16.13 European Delivery

Past:
2011 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)
2010 135i Vert 6MT (ED)
2007 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)

2006 325i Sedan 6MT
Old 05-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Freedom

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwac View Post
Ya might want to correct that. SMG and Steptronic are two completely different things. SMG means Sequential Manual Gearbox, and it's a specific type of manual transmission with a hydraulically-actuated clutch offered on the M5, M6, E46 3-Series, and a smattering of other Bimmers. On the 3-Series, the SMG has been replaced by the M-DCT (Dual-Clutch Transmission) and is currently offered exclusively on the new M3. The SMG was never offered on the 335i or any E90 for that matter.

You'll probably continue to get questions and confusion if you keep calling your Step w/paddles an SMG...
Thank you! Can you believe that is what the sales man told me? And i just assumed he knew what he was talking about. I saw a signature on a Bimmerfest member that read, "Nothing is impossible when you don't know what you are talking about" Thanks again for informing me! Appreciate it!
Old 05-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Freedom

Quote:
I don't have smg ~ i've been informed.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
I don't have smg ~ i've been informed.
I knew that. Now you know more than your CA (customer adviser)!

Last edited by DSXMachina; 05-25-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: '14 335i 6MT
Quote:
Thank you! Can you believe that is what the sales man told me? And i just assumed he knew what he was talking about. I saw a signature on a Bimmerfest member that read, "Nothing is impossible when you don't know what you are talking about" Thanks again for informing me! Appreciate it!
No worries, I can believe a salesperson saying that. They think the customer wouldn't know the difference, when in fact both transmissions behave very uniquely.

That quote is in the sig of none other than the infamous CaptainAudio, a legend and a scholar here at Bimmerfest.

Welcome!

09.16.13 European Delivery

Past:
2011 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)
2010 135i Vert 6MT (ED)
2007 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)

2006 325i Sedan 6MT
Old 05-25-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Petite is short... i'm not short but slender...
I wish more women knew the difference between "slender", and not slender, when responding to personal ads. But that is a subject for OT.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fredric

Quote:
are you in the center lane? if i can, i always move out of the way of a tailgater... there are soooo many crazies out there, you may get rear ended. it's amazing to me how many ppl out there have drivers license's and No Business being on the road let alone driving on one.
I was referring to driving in the right lane of a two-lane road, keeping up with traffic, generally above the posted speed limit. But you (and others) are right about there being a lot of angry, crazy, and/or stupid people out there.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Freedom

i figured that is what you ment. i said slender feminine driver to point out that these agressive drivers i've been dealing with are big burly he-man kind of guys... and figuring it was the car not me that was intimidating them. i had a volvo before this car and in my F150 no one acts like an asshat. not sure what you mean about personal ads? are big ladies saying they are slender? maybe you should ask them what size dress they wear before you meet them.

Last edited by sakura; 06-15-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
i figured that is what you ment. i said slender feminine driver to point out that these agressive drivers i've been dealing with are big burly he-man kind of guys... and figuring it was the car not me that was intimidating them. i had a volvo before this car and in my F150 no one acts like an asshat. not sure what you mean about personal ads? are big ladies saying they are slender? maybe you should ask them what size dress they wear before you meet them. haa haa. i wear a 2
They are not necessarily big, but often have no waist. Often wear flowing black dresses. Don't think it would go over too well asking about dress size, though it is surely a good idea.
You may be 'SMG' (Superbly Made Gal).
Old 05-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Boosted Bavarian

Mein Auto: '08 335Ci
Quote:
Now you know more than your CA (customer adviser)!
Unfortunately, weve seen that occur on more than one occasion around here. When asking my CA some specific technology related questions, he had to scurry off to the SAs three times. But, I actually give him credit for that. He went and got the right answer instead of making something up!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:56 AM
Senor Apple

Send a message via AIM to Mr AAPL
Mein Auto: Fiat 500
yea usually if some dude in a truck decides to screw around I just accelerate to about a 105-110 on the freeway. Most trucks have their speed limiters set at 100mph plus I usually travel at 80 consistently and it opens up fairly easy at that point.

Last edited by Mr AAPL; 05-26-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:25 AM
Road or Beach

Mein Auto: 2012 Z4 35is
Hmmm, seems to I find myself more often than not coming up on slow SUVs driving in the left lane and guess what, 90% of the time it is a women talking on her cell phone oblivious to traffic. This occurs even at 7:00a in the morning. I then have to be more aggressive to get around this person who is generally driving slower than traffic. I really think the majority of problems in regards to driving come from poor lane manners. If you want to talk on the cell phone or drive the speed limit do so in a lane other than the passing lane. If someone comes up behind you fast move over and let them go past. Doing this will solve a lot of the road rage.