Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-26-2009, 05:45 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
+1

People are oblivious to the left lane etiquette and it is very frustrating.
I drove 600+ miles this past W/E through 4 states and everywhere people just hang-out in the left lane. Very annoying.

I wait and if past 30 seconds they don't move over to the right lane where there is no one and I flash my lights to wake them up. If they still don't move over, I down shift and I am past them in 4-6 seconds on the right (which I'd rather not do but...). I then see them move over 40% of the time in the rear-view mirror.

I also dislike how no one signals in the city and no one actually stops at Stop signs. I don't understand why the cops are not enforcing those. I'd rather them do that than annoy me because I am doing 30 over on an empty road.

Last edited by octopump; 05-26-2009 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:11 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampagneKitty View Post
I'm a courteous driver and recently have been experiencing aggressive male drivers in town riding my @ss reving up their engines and passing me when there is no room in front of me (i'm not going too slow) and just acting like they want a showdown or something like that. I'm a small feminine woman. They have all been male drivers in pick-up trucks. I will even say it is abusive. When i drive my other vehicle a Ford F-150, I never EVER experience this. I was wondering if these men were feeling challenged or angry at my 335. Your thoughts?
I drive ever so fast and I constantly get people tailing me. It's actually pretty bad because if I have to slam on my breaks for any reason there will be absolutely zero chance for them to avoid rear-ending me.
It happend to me this morning. Woman in one of those suv/car hybrids was on my ass. She then passed me to zoom up around me and get on the guy in front of me. Then again her 2009 vehicle already had a front/left quarter panel caved in - most likely due to her hitting something.

By the time I got to the light, she was one lane to my left, and four cars behind me.

It's going to suck one day if I have to slam on my breaks (I am not running over bambi) and the idiot behind me causes an accident because he/she felt the need to be 5 feet behind me.

BTW I am a 6'3" male so it's not just women.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:16 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post
I was going to fall back and also exit to get the license plate, but what would I do with it? Also, the person may be packing heat... stuff like that is never worth it.

You can't do much with it in PA. In NJ you can report it to the police and if the guy gets pulled over for something else the cops see this on their computer and is less likely to give the driver a pass. I tend to hate the system because you may get "grand-mom" reporting you for aggressive driving when, in reality, it's just grand-mom is not used to those "darn kids in their hot-rods"

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:18 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie1 View Post
On my way to work, merged onto the road and needed to move over to the left hand lane for my turn. Didn't even notice what kind of car was next to me, I just accelerated so I could pass. Guess the CTS thought I wanted to race (yes, I had my blinker on) and sped up with me. No, this doesn't end with me blowing their doors off. It was then it dawned on me that I was driving a car that actually invites that kind of attention. If it were my previous ride, the CTS would given me a 'pity pass.'
Here in Philadelphia putting your turn signal on is basically asking the person to accelerate so you can't merge into the lane. It's why you get so many drivers here in philly who don't use turn signals.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-26-2009, 06:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Aggressive

Frustrated and Jealous!
Dale
Old 05-26-2009, 06:24 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredric View Post
Don't know whether this is good to do or not, but when I am on a road with a passing lane on my left, and someone seriously tailgates me, I usually just take my foot off the accelerator and let the car gradually slow down until he/she gets fed up and blows by on my left. Sometimes I gently tap the brake pedal to try and get them to back off a bit.
I wash my windows multiple times. Nobody likes someone elses crap hitting their window.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-26-2009, 06:26 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
I drive ever so fast and I constantly get people tailing me. It's actually pretty bad because if I have to slam on my breaks for any reason there will be absolutely zero chance for them to avoid rear-ending me.
It happend to me this morning. Woman in one of those suv/car hybrids was on my ass. She then passed me to zoom up around me and get on the guy in front of me. Then again her 2009 vehicle already had a front/left quarter panel caved in - most likely due to her hitting something.

By the time I got to the light, she was one lane to my left, and four cars behind me.

It's going to suck one day if I have to slam on my breaks (I am not running over bambi) and the idiot behind me causes an accident because he/she felt the need to be 5 feet behind me.

BTW I am a 6'3" male so it's not just women.

I can relate to this.

I see that all the time. When I create some distance, other idiots use it to merge into my lane forcing me to recreate the safety area.

How would the conversation go if there were a face to face talk about this.

"Lady, you ought to keep a safe distance from the car preceding you. Tailgating will get you killed (shot or smashed against your dashboard) one day."

"What? I wasn't tailgating you. What are you talking about?"

People...
Old 05-26-2009, 06:27 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwac View Post
SMG means Sequential Manual Gearbox, and
I thought SMG = sub-machine gun and the OP had a James Bond type vehicle with two SMG's behind the xenons

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
There are just some mean people out there. When I had my other car, we were in the fast lane driving FAST and we had a yuckie lady in a Ford Taurus tailgating us, and she's an idiot. She changed lanes, got up to where I was (in the passenger seat) and emptied her water bottle and threw the water at my car on the freeway. So, we chased her down, followed her off the exit on the freeway and she turned so we went another way and crossed her path and my BF threw pennies at her and some went into her car and hit her in the head haa haa haa, but she deserved it because she's in a crappy car and she threw water at my already clean spotless car when she was the one who was tailgating us....

This was a while when I still had the Audi, but still...people are just mean...

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 05-26-2009, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: '09 335xi coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
+1

People are oblivious to the left lane etiquette and it is very frustrating.
I drove 600+ miles this past W/E through 4 states and everywhere people just hang-out in the left lane. Very annoying.

I wait and if past 30 seconds they don't move over to the right lane where there is no one and I flash my lights to wake them up. If they still don't move over, I down shift and I am past them in 4-6 seconds on the right (which I'd rather not do but...). I then see them move over 40% of the time in the rear-view mirror.

I also dislike how no one signals in the city and no one actually stops at Stop signs. I don't understand why the cops are not enforcing those. I'd rather them do that than annoy me because I am doing 30 over on an empty road.
I've given up... I just pass them in the right all the time now. Did it 3 times on the way to work this morning....and I only have to drive on the interstate for 8 miles on the way to work each day. They need to start advertising the left lane is for passing only!!!!!

'09 335i xDrive Coupe - Space Grey / Black Leather / Alum. Trim / Sport / Premium / 18'' wheels / Cold Weather / CA / Nav / iPod / Logic 7 / PPK1
Old 05-26-2009, 09:51 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
my BF threw pennies at her and some went into her car
That's the difference between Philly and SoCal. In Philly we'd have just shot her

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xdrive (E90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
I've given up... I just pass them in the right all the time now. Did it 3 times on the way to work this morning....and I only have to drive on the interstate for 8 miles on the way to work each day. They need to start advertising the left lane is for passing only!!!!!
NJ is the only state i've seen that has signs specifically stating that the left lane is for passing only. Whether or not you can get a ticket for hanging out in the left lane, I don't know. VA is terrible with this. I watch people get on the interstate and immediately move to the left lane....even if all the other lanes are open. and of course they go the speed limit (yes, i know, technically it is the speed limit, but come on....)....and never move over regardless of how many people pass them on the right. Drives me nuts.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xdrive (E90)
Quote:
Here in Philadelphia putting your turn signal on is basically asking the person to accelerate so you can't merge into the lane. It's why you get so many drivers here in philly who don't use turn signals.
Very true...if you are trying to cut in front of somebody, you need to be sneaky about it. At wait until the last second to put the turn signal on....no need to advertise your intentions.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:24 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts335 View Post
NJ is the only state i've seen that has signs specifically stating that the left lane is for passing only. Whether or not you can get a ticket for hanging out in the left lane, I don't know. VA is terrible with this. I watch people get on the interstate and immediately move to the left lane....even if all the other lanes are open. and of course they go the speed limit (yes, i know, technically it is the speed limit, but come on....)....and never move over regardless of how many people pass them on the right. Drives me nuts.
You can get a ticket for hanging out in the left in NJ.

With the exception of NJ (which are the gistapo of police) the left lane pass is one of those rules of the road that went the way of the do-do bird back in the 60-70's.

I usually flash my high beams rapidly and the person moves out. On occasion the person is being a jack-ass, just holding up the line and causing traffic issues. Since I like moving from side to side on the road i will just change lanes and go around if the person does not move over. If they do I wave a thank you!

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Quote:
With the exception of NJ (which are the gistapo of police) the left lane pass is one of those rules of the road that went the way of the do-do bird back in the 60-70's.

I am not aware of this. Could you please explain: what happened back then and what a do-do bird?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts335 View Post
Almost all states have something in the book, but almost never enforced. There is a very good growing movement *all over* to enforce it more, sadly probably due to the realization that it is a good source of revenue for highway patrol.

http://www.komonews.com/news/20656789.html
http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_ne.../051409-06.htm

You guys probably know this, but the legal / ticket term for tailgaiting is FTC. Laws everywhere again on this, but rarely enforced. Read this, it is heartening, and I agree with his assessment and one of the more insightful things I have read in a while:

http://albany-lawyer.blogspot.com/20...g-traffic.html
Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
Quote:
I am not aware of this. Could you please explain: what happened back then and what a do-do bird?
A do-do bird is one that takes a do-do on your car. They are widely hated but hard to catch. Even worse with a e93.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:37 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
People just started to ignore the rule (it's not really a law in most states...NJ being an exception). It was a courtesy people did. Drive on right pass on left. People started to ignore it as more and more cars hit the road (causing more traffic). When there is a lot of traffic you will drive wherever traffic is lighter...eventually that will be on the left lane...eventually it will be grandmom who drives 10 miles BELOW the speed limit.

A do-do bird is an extinct bird: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodo

So the rule (not law) went the way of the dodo bird...aka extinct.

EDIT: Neapolitan LOL

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-26-2009, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: '09 335xi coupe
Matts,

Let me guess... Most of those folks who doesn't get over are from our lovely neighboring state of Maryland? They are the worst for this with the only exception being NY.

'09 335i xDrive Coupe - Space Grey / Black Leather / Alum. Trim / Sport / Premium / 18'' wheels / Cold Weather / CA / Nav / iPod / Logic 7 / PPK1
Old 05-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Matts,

Let me guess... Most of those folks who doesn't get over are from our lovely neighboring state of Maryland? They are the worst for this with the only exception being NY.
Its even here too in CA. Not too many people, nowadays, actually know what that lane is for. Too many people are just oblivious when they drive and are STILL on their cell phone, LOL

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
Its even here too in CA. Not too many people, nowadays, actually know what that lane is for. Too many people are just oblivious when they drive and are STILL on their cell phone, LOL
My g/fs the worst. Left leg folded up so the foot sits on her chair. Left hand leaning on her left knee, resting on the steering wheel. Right shoulder holding a cell-phone. Right hand being held out in front of her heater or playing with the radio.

She drives a ford explorer and has depth perception issues (actual, not exagerrated).

As you can imagine I am the "see no evil" monkey when I ride with her.

And no she is never allowed to drive my car.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Wow! Did you speak with her about all of this?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
It sounds like discrimination based on either car or gender or a combination of both. However, I have benefitted from receiving discriminatory favors, such as a BMW letting me into the lane or pulling out of a driveway. Sometimes, Saab and Audi drivers extend this courtesy to a BMW. In return, I am courteous to all but more so to Saab, Audi, Volvo, and BMWs.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:34 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Wow! Did you speak with her about all of this?
Yes...multiple...multiple...multiple times...sometimes I tell her to put her foot down 4-6 times while she is driving. For her it goes up out of habit. I told her if she get's into an accident and get's messed up because her leg was like that, or because she drove like that I would break-up with her just because of those mitigating factors. I hate giving those kinds of ultimatums but I've already risked my life to save hers, and would do so again, but those were accidents, not stupid actions. (hey what's a boyfriend for if not to save the life of his girlfriend )

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote: