Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Kudos.

I don't know anyone who drives that way and reading your post actually made me a little angry!

I remember seeing that type of relaxed demeanor in CA a lot.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampagneKitty View Post
I'm a courteous driver and recently have been experiencing aggressive male drivers in town riding my @ss reving up their engines and passing me when there is no room in front of me (i'm not going too slow) and just acting like they want a showdown or something like that. I'm a small feminine woman. They have all been male drivers in pick-up trucks. I will even say it is abusive. When i drive my other vehicle a Ford F-150, I never EVER experience this. I was wondering if these men were feeling challenged or angry at my 335. Your thoughts?
Men can be dicks.
ACC/iPod/19" 230

Old 05-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Freedom

Mein Auto: HOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
the way of the do-do bird back in the 60-70's. ///// If they do I wave a thank you!
what is the do-do bird? Appreciate road etiquette to wave thank you when ppl do the right thing.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

See a few posts back. I asked the same and got the answer you need
Old 05-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Freedom

Respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by S93D View Post
It sounds like discrimination based on either car or gender or a combination of both. However, I have benefitted from receiving discriminatory favors, such as a BMW letting me into the lane or pulling out of a driveway. Sometimes, Saab and Audi drivers extend this courtesy to a BMW. In return, I am courteous to all but more so to Saab, Audi, Volvo, and BMWs.
For the most part, since i have been in the bimmer, i have noticed that the car "commands respect" ~ A BMW Commands Respect! (and all those other handsome highend vehicles) Then there are the asshats... not playing with a full deck. jealousy has always been a problem for mankind as well.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

It's a food-chain.

I wonder how things work at the airport when you are a plane owner and you "only" fly a four seater. Then some hard work and a few years later, you get to upgrade to a Citation X but still look at the bigger ones with interest/ envy.

It never ends. BMWs are nice but they are mass-produced cars. I don't understand why anyone would feel jealous/ intimidated by them.

Kitty, perhaps you should leaving them in the dust more often. If they are going to be pricks anyways, you may as well have some fun.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Freedom

[quote=v12;4213749]It never ends. BMWs are nice but they are mass-produced cars. I don't understand why anyone would feel jealous/ intimidated by them.quote]
Exactly ... i don't understand either. ..
Old 05-26-2009, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 01 325ci and airplanes
i had a civic that was pretty slow(and i was tailgated) and attached 2 LED bars on the rear headrest(Kuryakin lizard lights)
the lights were blue adn red just like a police car.
when i was tailgated i turn them on and the stupid tailgated backed off.
worked almost everytime.

dont they know there no such thing a Civic cop car?

next i am planning to install some strobe lights in the rear of my beemer. and activate them when car gets close.
theyll back off, or be blinded during the night.

and i want to install fire extungushers in the rear by spare tire well, and have them remotly activated, in the cockput. watch the pile up when i activate them? possibly get out of a ticket?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexy_roman21 View Post
i had a civic that was pretty slow(and i was tailgated) and attached 2 LED bars on the rear headrest(Kuryakin lizard lights)
worked almost everytime.

next i am planning to install some strobe lights in the rear of my beemer. and activate them when car gets close.

and i want to install fire extungushers in the rear by spare tire well, and have them remotly activated, in the cockput. watch the pile up when i activate them? possibly get out of a ticket?
I've always thought about the strobe light too, but it was for people who have really bright lights and have a kind of disco in the back haa haa

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 05-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
The Dodo Bird
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodo_Bird
Old 05-26-2009, 05:01 PM
False Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 14 435xi 14 X1 35i
I find that vehicle you are driving definitely impacts other driver's level of cooperation.

In the BMW people tend to yield the left lane (as in BMW= Better Make Way), do not tailgate
in traffic (it's not me holding them up), and WILL NOT give you a break when it's time to let you merge, etc. (unless they are driving an upscale car).

In our '06 Toyota Tacoma they will not yield the left lane, will tailgate, but always wave you into the next spot in line (at least you're not that d%$#khead in the BMW).

Some of it has to to with people's perceptions of the vehicle involved, and some of it is about people's perceptions of the people who drive those vehicles.

The only people that ever try to engage me in some sort of speed thing drive WRXs and Mustang GTs. I don't think that is a fault of those particular cars though as they don't seem to be faster.

jummo
Old 05-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jummo View Post
I find that vehicle you are driving definitely impacts other driver's level of cooperation.

In the BMW people tend to yield the left lane (as in BMW= Better Make Way), do not tailgate
in traffic (it's not me holding them up), and WILL NOT give you a break when it's time to let you merge, etc. (unless they are driving an upscale car).

In our '06 Toyota Tacoma they will not yield the left lane, will tailgate, but always wave you into the next spot in line (at least you're not that d%$#khead in the BMW).

Some of it has to to with people's perceptions of the vehicle involved, and some of it is about people's perceptions of the people who drive those vehicles.

The only people that ever try to engage me in some sort of speed thing drive WRXs and Mustang GTs. I don't think that is a fault of those particular cars though as they don't seem to be faster.
This perception of car identity is amazing. I never thought about about vehicles and the traffic world having identity issues. I can literally drive any vehicle I want but keeping it simple just roughed it out in anything with a decent set of tires until I thought…. well why not get a thrill of driving performance in a BMW for a little lift with life's trials and tribulations. I also never ever thought I would "love' a car…. but I really dig my blackie... he's a real trooper. And now i see there appears to be warfare out there. Happy the mustangs don't bother me... there are hundreds of them out here in orange.

Last edited by sakura; 05-26-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 05 G35X; 09 335 vert
don't have any useful insights, other than I notice people (in all sorts of cars) sometimes follow closely behind me. It bothers me a bit, but I don't think they're trying to tailgate, just stay close (ie, like a group of cars on the highway. must be the "cop can only get one of us, so let's all stick together" mentality) if I feel they're too close, I'll switch lanes and tap the brakes. what's frustrating is switiching lanes, and they switch behind me! they must assume I'll be the only to get caught speeding or something, and they'll be safe behind me or something. usually happens when I'm driving the bmw, but also sometimes in the G35 . . .

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 05-26-2009, 07:53 PM
BMW d Driver

Mein Auto: e46 M3, 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jummo View Post

jummo

Funny enough I have noticed the same thing and have an 05 Tacoma as well. People are totally different when I am driving in my Tacoma vs. a more luxury car (BMW or Range Rover in the past).
Old 05-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz View Post
Funny enough I have noticed the same thing and have an 05 Tacoma as well. People are totally different when I am driving in my Tacoma vs. a more luxury car (BMW or Range Rover in the past).
What's your conclusion on this mystery?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexy_roman21 View Post
worked almost everytime.

The guy in Comedy Defensive Driving told me he had a friend that always had a plastic cup full of pebbles of different sizes in the car. If some tailgated him, he'd open the sunroof and start flipping them out. After a few pops on the windshield most people have no clue where the pebbles came from but felt a desire to back off.

I always thought it was hilarious that this is one of the things I remember from defensive driving. That and the gun road-rage incident he told us about...yikes! Let's just say that putting on the brakes when someone rides your ass may not be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 05-27-2009, 05:39 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
The guy in Comedy Defensive Driving told me he had a friend that always had a plastic cup full of pebbles of different sizes in the car. If some tailgated him, he'd open the sunroof and start flipping them out. After a few pops on the windshield most people have no clue where the pebbles came from but felt a desire to back off.

What a horrendous idea/ thing to do. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:58 AM
BMW d Driver

Mein Auto: e46 M3, 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampagneKitty View Post
What's your conclusion on this mystery?
People have way too many stereotypes about different cars/drivers and should learn how to drive
Old 05-27-2009, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
If people would just be nice and courteous (key word here is courteous), we'd all get along, but unfortunately, there are meanies out there who think their cars are bulletproof and idiotproof as well

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Personally, I think we need stricter driving formation and testing. A driver license is way too easy to get right now.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Freedom

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Personally, I think we need stricter driving formation and testing. A driver license is way too easy to get right now.
True! There is a four way stop at the center of town on two main cross roads... i sit there and watch all these people that have lived here their whole lives just glide through without stopping while the rest of us drop our jaws as they break the count. i'm not sure if it's agressive or not realizing that first to stop is first to go.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

I have witnessed that too here in NYC. People actually honk when I stop at Stop signs or slow down to avoid or take damaged pavement.

People think freedom means it's them doing anything they want. Freedom stems of everyone knowing and respecting the rules.

I hate how people fail to signal, do not make use their side and rear-view mirrors, do not *stop* at Stop sign and park by bumping into the car behind/ in front of them.

Public space sucks.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Freedom

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
If people who think their cars are bulletproof and idiotproof as well
Exactly ~ with the incidents of road rage... "some people" do not realize their cars can be weapons... one minute they are driving home from work figuring on diner and the next their family is figuring on where to bury them.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 09 E90 sport pkge
Kitty - if you were driving your car properly, you wouldn't be having these problems. You need to find a way to get ahead or get out of the left lane, period. As for your original post, the reason why no one tailgates you when you're in your Ford F-150 pick up is because it's impossible to see through or around. It's a truck, duh. So, drivers keep their distance out of prudence. Your BMW is just a low (height) passenger car with clear windows and it's easier to drive right behind without worrying about unexpected stops they can't otherwise see from behind a pick-up truck. As for the 4 pages of inane posts by some others, the Bimmerfest forum is ironically the last place one would expect to see some folks vent about this stuff. Once again, this is a site stocked primarily with Type A performance car enthusiasts who drive great cars in a sprited manner whenever possible in a country where most drive like dolts. This thread is killing my spirit.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdokwon View Post
Kitty - if you were driving your car properly, you wouldn't be having these problems. You need to find a way to get ahead or get out of the left lane, period. As for your original post, the reason why no one tailgates you when you're in your Ford F-150 pick up is because it's impossible to see through or around. It's a truck, duh. So, drivers keep their distance out of prudence. Your BMW is just a low (height) passenger car with clear windows and it's easier to drive right behind without worrying about unexpected stops they can't otherwise see from behind a pick-up truck. As for the 4 pages of inane posts by some others, the Bimmerfest forum is ironically the last place one would expect to see some folks vent about this stuff. Once again, this is a site stocked primarily with Type A performance car enthusiasts who drive great cars in a sprited manner whenever possible in a country where most drive like dolts. This thread is killing my spirit.
If you were reading properly as an experienced driver, perhaps you would not be so indifferent. There is No left lane on a two lane road. You don't pass anything when there is no room to slip in especially when the flow of traffic is steady. The flip side with the truck is that when I was in Westfield/Plainfield, NJ Route 22, cars were aggressive toward the truck, passing as I was in the Right lane going the posted speed limit and flipping me off as they passed. Go figure!?! Killing your spirit? Really? Well i certainly apologize for my gritty down to earth reality. Shame on me for disturbing perfection of the BMW Driver Image.

Last edited by sakura; 05-27-2009 at 10:29 PM.