Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330XI, 6Spd, M-Pack
Temp gage and other stuff... need help

well guys, i'll start off by saying that i did a couple of quick searches that yielded nothing... I'll get right to it, so the weather is getting colder up here in Montreal lately….

well this is the second time the car does this and I just don't understand what is happening…. first time I noticed it was when I installed the Aux Jack (original BMW)…. the car was completely cold (I didn't turn it on for at least 16 hours prior to Aux install, temp outside was around 50 degrees F), when I started it, the following happened (keep in mind that this could have been a complete coincidence "while installing the Aux", I only had the car for less than a month and noticed this twice):

1) Temp gage went to full hot, the red light that's in the red region of the gage lit up….
2)The DSC light came on (traction)
3)Te RPM was on Zero, I couldn't pay attention to the gas needle, but it could have also been to zero as well (not sure)

it stayed for about 5 seconds then everything went back to normal, it's like the gage cluster came back to life... everything was working extremely fine and glitch free for a couple of weeks until :

Well, it happened this evening again, as I was leaving work, I made several small stops on the way, and my last stop was a little long, about 3 hours (Temp outside was about 35 degrees F) and when I came to start the car, the same symptom happened again (the three things above), again, it stayed for 5 seconds or so (maybe a little less) and then the cluster came back to life again....

well...I'd really appreciate your input on what to check for ….. Its like an electrical limp mode …. remove battery terminal for the night maybe??, but I thought I'd ask first….

Last edited by sannouni; 11-02-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-02-2010, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330XI, 6Spd, M-Pack
it happened again this morning...maybe i'm just paying attention to it now... Or its just getting worst... Please help...
Old 11-02-2010, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Check your battery...it may be going bad. When they start to go bad, weird things begin to happen to the car.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:49 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveninchicago View Post
Check your battery...it may be going bad. When they start to go bad, weird things begin to happen to the car.
Exactly this. Check battery.