Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 05-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: corvette
trans fluid in a 525i

On a 1995 bmw 525i, does the transmission fluid have to be change?
Ads by Google
Old 05-27-2009, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 1993 525iT
I would do a search on 'Transmission' there are plenty of posts and opinions regarding this subject.

Personally I would recommend a Fluid & Filter change at least every 80k. BMW do list it as part of their Inspection II Service schedule. No Transmission Fluid is good for the life of the car or the transmission. Just like engine oil its lubrication properties decline over time and the additives package is depleted. The 525 Automatic Transmission is known to run hot which only adds to the problem. You will see some posts that claim changing the fluid will cause sludge to be displaced which will damage the Tranny. My take is that if there is sludge in the tranny its going to cause damage anyway, better to try and remove it with new fluid and a new filter. "Power" transmission Flushes are however to be avoided as this can force dirt particles that are maybe already trapped in the filter back into the transmission.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 525i olympics editio
"Lifetime" means until the transmission fails! Change the fluid like Touburgring says.

Drain the trans, pull both the pans, replace the filter and gaskets, fill her back up (from underneath on a 95) Get enough in the trans to get it running and idle it until it comes up to temp (Warm on the pan around 80-100 degrees) check the level with the car running and in park or neutral. Top off until runs out the side of the fill hole. Make sure the car is level when doing this! You should be good for another 60 -80 K depending on how you drive.