Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-18-2016, 11:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
2001 e39 540i m sport //AC condenser issue with wires being torn

Hello, appears my AC condenser had suffered some wires being torn when the water pump blew, causing the belts to snap. Although all was replaced but it seems my mechanic had missed this AC condenser with the wires issue. Basically when the AC is on it does not blow cold air. When k bought it back to mechanic they said it is holding freon but due to the wire being torn. They will have to take out the piece and see if they can savage it or replace another AC condenser. Any ideas? I am kind of lost as I felt thy should of seen this when replacing my belts n water pump and such. Seems like double work to me especially when they are a Dinan BMW shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2016, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Take it back and get them to sort it.

BTW, you do not have an M-sport, unless you have a Canadian model.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:13 AM

2001 540i sport manual original 6 speed is not an m sport?

Old 06-19-2016, 09:13 AM

Or u mean it's not an true m tech like the 03

Old 06-20-2016, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: 530i, 330i, M3
Condenser is the AC radiator in the front of the car. If the condenser was damaged the system would not hold refrigerant.

I think you may mean compressor, which is driven by the A/C belt. There is a single trigger wire that controls the compressor. When a water pump goes, it takes out the serpentine belt that drives the alternator and power steering but the A/C is a separate belt. I don't know why that would cause the trigger wire to be damaged though, as it is on the outside of the compressor far away from the rest of the engine.

I think what they are saying is that the compressor is not coming on due to the trigger wire being damaged. The wire unplugs from the compressor, so replacing the compressor would not help if the wire is damaged. The wire is very simple so it could just be repaired without removing the compressor.

I think it's possible that they may not have seen damage to the wire, although it is weird not to have tested the A/C after replacing all the belts.

Hopefully that will help you with your discussion with the mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richesloo View Post
Hello, appears my AC condenser had suffered some wires being torn when the water pump blew, causing the belts to snap. Although all was replaced but it seems my mechanic had missed this AC condenser with the wires issue. Basically when the AC is on it does not blow cold air. When k bought it back to mechanic they said it is holding freon but due to the wire being torn. They will have to take out the piece and see if they can savage it or replace another AC condenser. Any ideas? I am kind of lost as I felt thy should of seen this when replacing my belts n water pump and such. Seems like double work to me especially when they are a Dinan BMW shop.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyride View Post
Condenser is the AC radiator in the front of the car. If the condenser was damaged the system would not hold refrigerant.

I think you may mean compressor, which is driven by the A/C belt. There is a single trigger wire that controls the compressor. When a water pump goes, it takes out the serpentine belt that drives the alternator and power steering but the A/C is a separate belt. I don't know why that would cause the trigger wire to be damaged though, as it is on the outside of the compressor far away from the rest of the engine.

I think what they are saying is that the compressor is not coming on due to the trigger wire being damaged. The wire unplugs from the compressor, so replacing the compressor would not help if the wire is damaged. The wire is very simple so it could just be repaired without removing the compressor.

I think it's possible that they may not have seen damage to the wire, although it is weird not to have tested the A/C after replacing all the belts.

Thanks man and yes big help indeed. You put things into correct terms and prospective. Just got to get dirty and hands on now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richesloo View Post
Thanks man and yes big help indeed. You put things into correct terms and prospective. Just got to get dirty and hands on now.

I have the thicker black wire covering thinner wires intact and I have an grey or silver thin wire which is torn and looks like it's placed on the ax compressor itself. I guess it's an ground wire of some sort.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyride View Post

OK I see the single wire you spoke of and the wire loose I was referring was a thinner grey one which I believe is the ground wire. However while trying to secure the ground wire I did the opposite and tore it off the Compressor. Will a speaker wire work I'm place of the ground wire?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search