Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 06-02-2009, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
09 Owner's Manual Available On Line -Electronic Oil Monitor???

The complete owner's manual is available at the following site:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...iagallery.aspx

I find it sad and probably a deal buster for me that you can only monitor oil with the electronic system. I believe there is no way to check if the oil has actually been changed unless you open the drain plug. I say this because I brought my 3 series to Crevier BMW for service including an oil change, and guess, what, before I left, I checked the oil and it was as dirty as when I dropped it off, clearly the oil was not changed. Got a free inspec 2 and an oil flush, but I wouldn't trust Crevier again. Plus, I would rather top off my oil reservoir before it's down a full quart. Thoughts??
Ads by Google
Old 06-02-2009, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
I read that a new problem has cropped up where with the 15K oil changes, no one is 'checking' the oil and cars are coming in with critically low oil levels. Of course I beleive 15K to be a ridiculous amount of time between changes anyway. So if no one pops open the hood then, put in a sensor.... Of course how hard would it be to have both a sensor and a dipstick! I'm with you, I think the oil changes get pushed off to the entry level staff and sometimes, items get skipped. It is conforting to peek at the stick to see the oil condition after a trip to the dealer....
Old 06-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbee View Post
The complete owner's manual is available at the following site:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...iagallery.aspx

I find it sad and probably a deal buster for me that you can only monitor oil with the electronic system. I believe there is no way to check if the oil has actually been changed unless you open the drain plug. I say this because I brought my 3 series to Crevier BMW for service including an oil change, and guess, what, before I left, I checked the oil and it was as dirty as when I dropped it off, clearly the oil was not changed. Got a free inspec 2 and an oil flush, but I wouldn't trust Crevier again. Plus, I would rather top off my oil reservoir before it's down a full quart. Thoughts??
I guess this means you won't be buying a Porsche either.

Yes, I agree, it is just stupid beyond any measure of comprehension to take the dipstick away!!!!! It really is unbelievable.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Still Cruisin'

Mein Auto: 2003 325xi, 2001 Z3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post

Yes, I agree, it is just stupid beyond any measure of comprehension to take the dipstick away!!!!! It really is unbelievable.
The deleted dipstick is like iDrive. An answer to a question nobody asked.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
I went to the service dept to ascertain if the new Z has a secondary dipstick, and one of their techs and I examined a new Z and there is no such animal. He did say the 09 6 series has added a secondary dipstick at the rear firewall. Additionally, he advised he has seen only one electronic failure but that the electronic oil system should be replaced periodically to ensure that it is working properly.

Personally, there is no way I would buy a car that does not have a manual oil check.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post

But doesn't the porch have a dry sump lubrication system (where presumably you can check the oil in the tank)?