Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 06-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Car and Driver comparison: Z4 with Boxster S, TTS, Corvette

Here is the link:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

You can guess who's on top. Porsche seems to be more of the ultimate driving machine.

About the Z4:
"The Sport package adds high-performance tires, sport seats, and the M adaptive suspension, which varies the shock absorbers among three settings. Unfortunately, it doesn't add enough sport to the Z4. In the most comfortable setting, "normal," the Z4 rides like it has taffy for dampers. Highway cruising is supremely comfortable, but cornering requires the stiffer "sport" or "sport plus" modes. In any situation, the Z4 has an abundance of body roll, and the steering supplements its artificial weight with a lack of feedback. In tight corners, the Z4 starts to understeer before the front end finally bites, requiring a steering correction. On curvier roads, the Z4 takes more effort to drive as quickly as the Audi and the Porsche but returns less enjoyment. This car's electric parking brake shows BMW's true intentions here. Our beloved "hand-brake revectoring" is simply not in the game plan. There's plenty of luxury, but we found ourselves wishing for a little more sport."

With BMWs it used to be what it can do? Now the Z4 is migrating towards the "how does it look" category that Audis usually occupy.

Can't we have both in a bimmer?
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2009, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4 M Coupe, '07 X3
Didn't get reviews like that with the Z4 MCoupe!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Htd Seats = 4-season vert

Mein Auto: 06 Z4MR
this iteration of the Z4 is targeted at a different demographic. it's designed to be a little softer, a little cushier.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakked View Post
this iteration of the Z4 is targeted at a different demographic. it's designed to be a little softer, a little cushier.
Agree. Confirms my experience driving the 30i with MT and w/o sport package.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Still Cruisin'

Mein Auto: 2003 325xi, 2001 Z3 3.0
The poseur demographic that they've targeted this car towards has tender buns that can't be pestered with a sport suspension.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
The poseur demographic that they've targeted this car towards has tender buns that can't be pestered with a sport suspension.
That's going to be the crowd the Z2 hits. I hope, I hope. And I think the Z2 will make it. Moving the Z4 up market has made a place for a Z2.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 06-09-2009, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, X5 3.0, 986S
4.3 seconds to 60 in the boxster? I find that hard to believe even though I love the car.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0/987S/997
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm964 View Post
4.3 seconds to 60 in the boxster? I find that hard to believe even though I love the car.
I've read 4.1 with PDK and the sports chrono launcher.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
+1

Most of the print rags "correct" numbers for humidity, temp, altitude...

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 06-16-2009, 03:52 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
the road was going down hill with a 60 mph favorable wind?

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
How does the TTS figure in that comparo mix, somebody enlighten me I don't get it!

2012, 650i Coupe, Carbon Black, Black Nappa leather, M Sport , CWP,DAP, IAS, 20" Wheels,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 06-18-2009, 08:27 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
I agree. A '09 Carrera S with 385 hp can only do it in 4.4.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: 07 Z4MC (US) 06 Z4C (HK)
I agree! Is it really too much to ask for both? What's the M Coupe replacement -- something light, wild, and fire breathing? Oh, there is none. BMW is not that kind of company anymore, apparently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
Here is the link:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

You can guess who's on top. Porsche seems to be more of the ultimate driving machine.

About the Z4:
"The Sport package adds high-performance tires, sport seats, and the M adaptive suspension, which varies the shock absorbers among three settings. Unfortunately, it doesn't add enough sport to the Z4. In the most comfortable setting, "normal," the Z4 rides like it has taffy for dampers. Highway cruising is supremely comfortable, but cornering requires the stiffer "sport" or "sport plus" modes. In any situation, the Z4 has an abundance of body roll, and the steering supplements its artificial weight with a lack of feedback. In tight corners, the Z4 starts to understeer before the front end finally bites, requiring a steering correction. On curvier roads, the Z4 takes more effort to drive as quickly as the Audi and the Porsche but returns less enjoyment. This car's electric parking brake shows BMW's true intentions here. Our beloved "hand-brake revectoring" is simply not in the game plan. There's plenty of luxury, but we found ourselves wishing for a little more sport."

With BMWs it used to be what it can do? Now the Z4 is migrating towards the "how does it look" category that Audis usually occupy.

Can't we have both in a bimmer?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 135i '09
Yeah I dig everyone's analysis on who BMW is targeting. Analyze it from that person's point of view and you have a truly accurate review..
Old 06-17-2011, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z435is
Z435is facts vs reality

I have now had the opportunity to spend 2 months driving my Z435is. The automotive press is overly critical of the vehicle. I am basing my opinions on having been a Z4 owner for over 4 years (replaced my highly modified 2006 Z4 3.0si) and driving the car(s) on windy canyon roads on a nearly daily basis. First off the bad news. Yes, the 35is (and the 35i) have more understeer than one would expect and less precise steering and feedback than one needs to properly take the car on up and down the "twisty turny" roads at its real potential. Now the good news. How hard is this to fix? Uh, not very. First off, unlike the suggestions in some of the more absurd automotive press, the car does not handle like a "front wheel drive sedan" or a "large bus." I know this from experience. The car handles well. Not as well as my road racing 06 Z43.0si, but it's faster and vastly more comfortable to drive on a daily basis. In every possible way it is a vstly superior vehicle to pre 2009 Z4s.

I'm working on solutions to the handling issues that might include some or all of the following:

1. Dumpting the RFTs on the 19" wheels and replacing them with better gripping tires;
2. Playing around with front and rear sway bars to loosen up the rear and get more; traction in the front;
3. Slightly raking the car's stance noseward;
4. More aggressive springs;
5. Looking for a way to make the steering feedback more accurate.

IF ANYONE HAS TRIED ANY OF THESE OR SOMETHING ELSE LET ME KNOW!

A lot of critiques of the 35is ignore the vehicle's chief virtue. It functions as a luxury car, sports car, top down roadster, daily driver and GT. It's not the best car in any of those categories but it is, on its own, warts and all, excellent in all of them. There is simply nothing like it on the market and they can be had, brand spanking new, in the high 60K range absent tax and other add ons and fees.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavesofblue View Post
I have now had the opportunity to spend 2 months driving my Z435is. The automotive press is overly critical of the vehicle. I am basing my opinions on having been a Z4 owner for over 4 years (replaced my highly modified 2006 Z4 3.0si) and driving the car(s) on windy canyon roads on a nearly daily basis. First off the bad news. Yes, the 35is (and the 35i) have more understeer than one would expect and less precise steering and feedback than one needs to properly take the car on up and down the "twisty turny" roads at its real potential. Now the good news. How hard is this to fix? Uh, not very. First off, unlike the suggestions in some of the more absurd automotive press, the car does not handle like a "front wheel drive sedan" or a "large bus." I know this from experience. The car handles well. Not as well as my road racing 06 Z43.0si, but it's faster and vastly more comfortable to drive on a daily basis. In every possible way it is a vstly superior vehicle to pre 2009 Z4s.

I'm working on solutions to the handling issues that might include some or all of the following:

1. Dumpting the RFTs on the 19" wheels and replacing them with better gripping tires;
2. Playing around with front and rear sway bars to loosen up the rear and get more; traction in the front;

A lot of critiques of the 35is ignore the vehicle's chief virtue. It functions as a luxury car, sports car, top down roadster, daily driver and GT. It's not the best car in any of those categories but it is, on its own, warts and all, excellent in all of them. There is simply nothing like it on the market and they can be had, brand spanking new, in the high 60K range absent tax and other add ons and fees.
Rather than an alacarte "experimental" approach, you'd be better off seeing of one of the tuners has a package - "Turner" and "dinan" come to mind.

At any rate, it's costly to do all that stuff and while you may improve the "handling", you may not like the resultant ride, or height from the road etc.

Keep us informed.

I still think it's a great car and wouldn't mind owning one (I too had a first gen Z4)

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 06-18-2011, 02:35 AM

Mein Auto: E81, E89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavesofblue View Post
...I'm working on solutions to the handling issues that might include some or all of the following:

I upgraded from 18" to 19's, having found a deal on the 313 wheels, do wonders for road comfort in smoothing out some of the bumps, still running the RFT's but will replace as soon as they wear out. Had a good bit of hop at the rear in corners, but a set of H&R springs corrected most of that as they are a bit more progressive than the stock springs and they reduced a lot of the body roll, the H & R Sway bars also help a lot with controlling the rear and further reducing what little body roll was left. Reduced the rear camber 1 degree, while that induced a bit of oversteer, it does help tremedously with evening out the rear tire wear, and it does seem to bite better out of the corners. Steering is a bit vague, but haven't found anyone who has any ideas on how to adjust the electric pieces in there for better feel and more feedback. Biggest issue I have is the brakes, and even though the Euro 30 has the same calipers and discs as the 35, they still start to noticable fade on the second hot lap of the Ring, however the Brembo upgrade is hard to get passed my "Cashier in Chief".
Old 06-20-2011, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoltan View Post
Didn't get reviews like that with the Z4 MCoupe!
Ya', but people don't yawn when they look at a NEW Z4.
Sorry, but your car looks dated and over-bangled. ...but wait, you already know that. ....and how's the ugly, dated, cheap , looks like it belongs in a 1987 Fiero, interior working out for you?

Go sit and try to figure out why no e89 owners spend the time or effort lurking in YOUR e85 forum.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 06-20-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:06 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Ya', but people don't yawn when they look at a NEW Z4.
Sorry, but your car looks dated and over-bangled. ...but wait, you already know that. ....and how's the ugly, dated, cheap , looks like it belongs in a 1987 Fiero, interior working out for you?

Go sit and try to figure out why no e89 owners spend the time or effort lurking in YOUR e85 forum.
Dude, that's not necessary - this is a community of enthusiasts here - don't pollute with this kind of crap, ok?

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 06-21-2011, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
..and that is?
Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT View Post
Dude, that's not necessary - this is a community of enthusiasts here - don't pollute with this kind of crap, ok?
Yes sir, I promise to stop quoting negative e85 comments I've read in car magazines, just as soon as the e85 trolls all learn not to backslap the e89. If the e85 trolls continue to troll on our forum and backslap the e89 like that, then they better be prepared for some ridicule. If they are going to dish it out then they better be prepared to take it... tenfold.
If you don't want to read it then you are free to set me up on your ignore list.

Just so I understand ....It's OK for someone to post a link to a review that states both positive and negative things about all 3 cars (e89, Corvette and TTS), but I can't say anything negative about the e85???

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 06-22-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35iS
For E85 owners it must suck going from hot stuff to antiquated overnight..
Old 06-22-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith. View Post
For E85 owners it must suck going from hot stuff to antiquated overnight..
Ouch ...another kick in gut for ol' Jsoltan

Jsoltan,
..and you may not respond, but rest assured, we know you are out there reading all our comments about your e85. If you posted you are monitoring.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 06-23-2011 at 12:54 PM.