Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by yce View Post
About that long-term reliability of the TDI- I have a Passat I bought new in 1997. 250,000 miles, still on the original clutch. Mileage is still in the mid-40s per gallon.
Actually, there is a bumper crop of crap in VW right now, starting around 2000, I think, and especially the models that they were assembling in Mexico.

Also - it isn't necessarily the engine I'm worried about in VW, it's electrical stuff/accessories/etc.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 PM
trailingthrottleoversteer

Mein Auto: Ram 1500 R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Actually, there is a bumper crop of crap in VW right now, starting around 2000, I think, and especially the models that they were assembling in Mexico.

Also - it isn't necessarily the engine I'm worried about in VW, it's electrical stuff/accessories/etc.
Sez the guy that owns an Impala....

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 330i sedan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Since we're talking about what we cross-shopped, I actually had it between a Jetta, Cooper S, and the 1er. The Jetta would've been the most practical, but VW just didn't have the long-term reliability I wanted, and as for customer service, someone on TDIClub put it best: when you get a VW, you're buying a brand-new car without a warranty. I was also disappointed that the TDI trim didn't come with a sport suspension option, and neither it nor the GLI trim had dual-zone climate control.

From a back-to-back test-drive shootout between the two (45 mins each, no salesman,) I actually liked driving the Cooper S slightly more than the 1er, just because it felt like a much more involving drive on a day-to-day basis, and better fuel economy, and as I had no plans to track the car, those were more important to me. However, I could not get past the retro styling, and knew the risk of me growing to hate the car's quirky design was just too great. (I got a little annoyed on the test drive at the speedometer placement.)

Then when the chance for a European Delivery presented itself this spring...well, the rest was history.
The Jetta but not the GTI? Interesting. Automobile Magazine raves about the GTI every chance they get.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_330i View Post
The Jetta but not the GTI? Interesting. Automobile Magazine raves about the GTI every chance they get.
Yeah I found the GTI more enjoyable than the GLI. Plus the 5 door GTI was so darn nice all around - good functionality, good fun, etc. Still for the cost, the WRX is the option I'd take there. The GTI is a nice car but I'd grow tired of the limits of FWD (as I did with my Cooper S).
Old 06-20-2009, 12:22 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 330i sedan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
Yeah I found the GTI more enjoyable than the GLI. Plus the 5 door GTI was so darn nice all around - good functionality, good fun, etc. Still for the cost, the WRX is the option I'd take there. The GTI is a nice car but I'd grow tired of the limits of FWD (as I did with my Cooper S).
The limits of FWD?

Ah, the pleasures of living in sunny (snow free) San Diego. FWD comes in pretty handy here in Chgo nine months out of the year.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_330i View Post
I went back and forth on that - I did consider the GTI as well - but liked the look of the Jetta GLI a little better. Besides, GTI's are a dime a dozen around here. No one has a GLI. And hatchbacks always have this frumpy, mini-SUV/station wagon kind of look about them to my eye. (Not that I won't end up getting a hatch or station wagon eventually, but why hasten the ennui of middle age?)

Yes, I know - the MINI is a hatch too, but I was willing to make an exception because of everything I'd heard about it.

I did test drive both of them, and couldn't really see much difference between the two as a practical matter in day-to-day driving.

Certainly, if practicality were the end-all be-all of this purchase, I wouldn't have gotten a Bimmer.

Last edited by jkp1187; 06-20-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
Sez the guy that owns an Impala....
Lissen, jerky, that Impala has been more reliable than a lot of the cars with comparable age and mileage I've seen on this forum!

Here's the entire list of electrical problems I've had with it since buying it (used) in 2003: the MAF sensor went out two weeks ago. At 9 years and 127,000 miles.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by yce View Post
The s2000, 370z, and 135i would be the next class and the 135 wins hands down. The s2000 is in the class due to its price, its performance was the worst of this bunch. The 370 is nice, but for a few grand more, you can get the better 135. And better in all respect (imho)- handling, acceleration, creature comforts, ride quality, road feel, etc etc.

These are my 2 cents, and you can't have them!
for the 40 grand that one would spend for a 135, you could get the nismo 370. you cannot tell me that the 135 handles and accelerates better than the nismo. if im gonna spend 40 g's, i'll go with the 370. besides, the 1er is a girls car.