Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Angry Bumper damaged while parked - what would you do?

I came back to my car yesterday to find a someone parked behind me bumper to bumper.

Why do people do this? Why are they so stupid? There was no need for that as he could have left a couple of inches at least.

I called the Police and asked if it'd be ok to send me a car to look at the situation.
They come by 10 minutes later and explain to me that since I didn't see it happen and I don't have any witness, they cannot run his plate and/ or incriminate him.
They totally dismissed the fact that his car was parked right into mine.

I asked the neighbors if they saw anything and no luck.

I waited some time for the owner to come back to his car but he didn't and I left.
This morning, I wanted to place a note on his windshield but the car was gone. Should have done that yesterday but didn't have any paper with me.

BMW body shop recommends changing the bumper and it's $900. Insurance says not worth filing a claim (I have a $500 deductible on collision).

What would you do?

Last edited by octopump; 06-10-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Wow, that's just a tad bit wee too close.

Its that a Toyota Rav4 or a truck? I can't tell...people just don't care, and seeming how the Toyota grill looks a bit outdated, I'd say the car is pretty old and they just really don't care about their car so why should they care about other people's cars. But that really is a bummer

And the police couldn't do anything?? hmmm....And there's no way to pin it on the other guy? Clearly he's up the bumper. Did you wait around for the owner of the Toyota and give him a piece of your mind?

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4

Last edited by BMW_GAL; 06-10-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:01 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

It's a Toyota Rav 4. And you nailed it, it was pretty beat-up but still why damage my car?

I got his plate yes (didn't post the picture here, should I?).

The picture shows his license plate and protuberant screws responsible for the damage on my bumper.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Your insurance company can't go after him based on his license plate?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Reminds me of when I was at Home Depot a while back and they made a big announcement that someone in the Crown Vic needs to come to the front because they pushed their car while parking into another car in such a way that both bumpers were lodged and if the other party left both bumpers most likely would be torn off.

Probably the same people that you always see with their tires smack dab at the curb with the entire front bumper hanging over the engine. Must be a contest of how close can ya get before ya hit it.

Sad indeed...

Did your insurance indicate that your rate would go up and that is why the claim would be worthless? Otherwise It'd still save you $500! I'd push them to see how much your rate would go up and if it's negligible then it surely would be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 06-10-2009, 08:07 AM

WOW, that's really a bummer I'm sorry. It always sucks, that people just don't care about other people's property. I'm just speaking for me, and I'm sure others will differ, but I would file a claim with the insurance company and provide the other guy's plate to see if they will do something and provide pictures as well to your insurance company. I don't think they would think that you backed into him? Hmmm...could be an issue.

Your insurance will mostly likely side with you...

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 06-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
Your insurance company can't go after him based on his license plate?

Not without filing a claim (which my agent says isn't worth doing).

Spoke with them this morning and we left it at me going to the precinct and presenting the situation/ pictures to file a report (which I didn't do with the Police officers whom came out to see yesterday) and get them to run his plate if possible (I doubt they'll do that on the spot for me).

The report is called a Civilan Accident Report I believe and it is mailed to a body in Albany which handles these I am told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
[...]
Did your insurance indicate that your rate would go up and that is why the claim would be worthless? Otherwise It'd still save you $500! I'd push them to see how much your rate would go up and if it's negligible then it surely would be worth it.

My agent said they she could not tell for sure (whether my rate would go up). I then point-out I have that Platinum package (I am with Allstate) with $100 off collision deductible and accident-forgiveness. I am pretty sure the rates would not go up based on that and in particular because I am not at fault.

I am thinking they may not want to spend the time to chase that guy/ his insurance for the amount involved here.

This being said, more than the money or the damage, I just want to get him in trouble for being so moronic. It infuriates me just to think about his action: it is revolting.

I thought of small claim court but I don't have his identity so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
WOW, that's really a bummer I'm sorry. It always sucks, that people just don't care about other people's property. I'm just speaking for me, and I'm sure others will differ, but I would file a claim with the insurance company and provide the other guy's plate to see if they will do something and provide pictures as well to your insurance company. I don't think they would think that you backed into him? Hmmm...could be an issue.

Your insurance will mostly likely side with you...

Thank you. I agree, they deserve to be spanked senseless for inconsiderate voluntary actions such as these, in particular when it can so easily be avoided.

I am on the fence with filing a claim because of the deductible and also because replacing the bumper rises the risk of the new painted one would differ ever so slightly from the rest of the car in color.

Last edited by octopump; 06-10-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 325XI
I had the same thing happen to me with my 06 325. I filed a police report over the phone. Took pictures. Send everything to my insurance company and they took care of the rest.

+1 on letting your insurance fight with his insurance.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Thanks. I also would like to let my insurance wrangle since this is taking up some of time and is bad for my blood-pressure.

I didn't know you could file a Police report over the phone.

Then you get a Police Report # and the insurance can access it somehow or did you get a copy in the mail from the Police which you sent along the pictures to your insurance cpy?

How about your deductible, rates? You/ I were/ was not at fault but still, doesn't filing claims adversely impact one's insurance profile/ rates?

Edit: I just called the precinct closest to the location where this happened and was told I'd have to go in: cannot do it over the phone.

Last edited by octopump; 06-10-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:31 AM

I think insurance rates only go up when you're the one at fault...so here's hoping!!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Gentleman Extraordinaire

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 335i
Sorry to hear about this- what an idiot! Good luck with whatever course of action you choose to take. Unnecessary time and aggravation nonetheless.

2009 E92 335i xDrive (Ordered 3/21/09 / Completed 5/4/09 / Delivery 6/6/09)

Space Gray Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Gray Poplar Wood Trim / ZPP / ZCW / ZSP with 18" wheels / StepTronic / Navi+HD Radio / Logic 7 / iPod+USB / PDC / Anti-Theft
Old 06-10-2009, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche Turbo, E93 335i
I don't put up with crap like this anymore......I'd kick a dent or two into his car or key it.....its the only thing these animals understand
Old 06-10-2009, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
This would piss the FOCK out of me. I might have had to retaliate.
As far as liability/insurance goes, he could say "I didn't do it, he backed into me.", and with no witness, you're screwed.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to dannyc9997
Mein Auto: 540i
WTF his car is touching yours clear as day in the pictures, how could the cops not do anything?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyc9997 View Post
WTF his car is touching yours clear as day in the pictures, how could the cops not do anything?
Read my post above you.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 06-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Oh, I was pi$$ed alright.

The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw from afar how close he was was how I could damage the crap out of his car.
Then I thought it was 5:20 pm, plenty of people getting back from work, it'd have been my luck to have someone see me doing something to his car.

Same thing if I had gotten to meet him, the temptation would have been to smash his face-in.

In both cases, the focus shifts from his action to me and I'd have been arrested if caught.

How do you guys handle this, really, would you have taken the risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyc9997 View Post
I could not believe it either but you argue with the cops and all of a sudden they have no trouble getting you in trouble. It's so unfair. See my OP for the explanation they gave me.

Here are a couple more pictures. He was trying to clear the garage driveway behind but he still didn't fit properly despite being all the up against my bumper:

Last edited by octopump; 06-10-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:58 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
I would take pictures and wait for him and then have words with him. Then sue him in small claims.

As for insurance - if your car gets hit while you are parked your rates should not go up.

As for the cops - if the guys car is sitting on your bumper then I don't know what other evidence they need.

Shop around for the bumper - you should get it cheaper in other places. Even the dealership I bought my car from said bumpers are about $300.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Oh, I was pi$$ed alright.

The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw from afar how close he was was how I could damage the crap out of his car.
Then I thought it was 5:20 pm, plenty of people getting back from work, it'd have been my luck to have someone see me doing something to his car.

Same thing if I had gotten to meet him, the temptation would have been to smash his face-in.

In both cases, the focus shifts from his action to me and I'd have been arrested if caught.

How do you guys handle this, really, would you have taken the risk?

I could not believe it either but you argue with the cops and all of a sudden they have no trouble getting you in trouble. It's so unfair. See my OP for the explanation they gave me.

Here are a couple more pictures. He was trying to clear the garage driveway behind but he still didn't fit properly despite being all the up against my bumper:

Go Ninja. It would have had to be a 'Covert Operation'.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 06-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Quote:
I would take pictures and wait for him and then have words with him. Then sue him in small claims.

As for insurance - if your car gets hit while you are parked your rates should not go up.

As for the cops - if the guys car is sitting on your bumper then I don't know what other evidence they need.

Shop around for the bumper - you should get it cheaper in other places. Even the dealership I bought my car from said bumpers are about $300.

I did wait for about an hour after I took the pictures and after the cops had left but got fed-up and left too.
Small claim: you need his identity, what if he doesn't want to give it?

This is my first use of The Police (never ever had to deal with them before). I was polite, composed and took their word for it. I suppose I deferred to their judgement. They also said that this was normal for parking on the street and that I should consider a garage. I was fuming by then (I don't even live at that location) but said nothing since they were not going to do anything help, I was no longer interested in carrying on the conversation and thanked them to dismiss them.

I feel they easily could have ran his plate and found out where to guy lives. I am sure if confronted by Police officers, he'd have admitted it (no one wants to get caught lying to a Police Officer).

I suggested they do that but said that I had not seen it myself and had no eye witness so they could not do that. They pointed out, anyone could also claim the same against me. Well, except my car wasn't sitting on top of someone else's. Helpless like I wrote higher-up.

$300 from some places: painted to my car color for that price?

Last edited by octopump; 06-10-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:08 AM

Unfortunately, cops have a stigma about them, and they aren't nice, especially when they pull you over for something. They're just not nice in general

:@P

Old 06-10-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Dude, put yourself in the Officers position instead of a pissed off owners position. The cars are touching. How is he supposed to know which is the one that touched the other?
I've watched enough court shows to know this much.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 06-10-2009, 09:12 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I did wait for about an hour after I took the pictures and after the cops had left but got fed-up and left too.
Small claim: you need his identity, what if he doesn't want to give it?

This is my first use of The Police (never ever had to deal with them before). Everything you read about them seems to be true. I was polite, composed and took their word for it. I suppose I deferred to their judgement.

But I feel they easily could have ran his plate and found out where to guy lives. I am sure if confronted by Police officers, he'd have admitted it (no one wants to get caught lying to a Police Officer).

$300 from some places: painted to my car color for that price?
You have his license plate. Insurance is on the car, not just the driver. For example - if I drive YOUR car and cause an accident then YOUR insurance pays for it not mine. It is the owners responsibility even if he/she did not drive teh car.

Always get as much detail as possible: License, vin, etc. There are mechanisms to track people down. The police may not give you the information but they may give it to a lawyer or there may be some other mechanism (e.g. go to small claims and the judge issues a subpeona for the police to find out the person). At the very least this civilian police report should get you started.

The police don't want to deal with this because it is small time and paperwork. If your car was totaled they would be all over it. They figure you will just shell out the money from your own pocket.

But just so you know - the only way you will find out this guys name is once you two are in court - the cops should not give you his name.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfitter View Post
Dude, put yourself in the Officers position instead of a pissed off owners position. The cars are touching. How is he supposed to know which is the one that touched the other?
I've watched enough court shows to know this much.

dj
That is not the police officers judgement call. The police officer is supposed to process the report and do his job by investigating who the person is, etc. It is up to the judge to determine if the owner of the vehicle is required to pony up cash.

To the OP: Is there paint on your car that does not belong to your car? If it matches the car that hit yours then you have proof. Bonus if his car is damaged too.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

True but about reasonable suspicion: the guy behind me has clearly tried to cram himself into a spot he could not fit it and felt it was ok to be against my bumper.

Could I have been the one to back-up into him, sure it's within the realm of possibilities (almost anything is possible) but unlikely.

If I were him, I'd have tried to locate the owner to hear his explanation.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
That is not the police officers judgement call. The police officer is supposed to process the report and do his job by investigating who the person is, etc. It is up to the judge to determine if the owner of the vehicle is required to pony up cash.

To the OP: Is there paint on your car that does not belong to your car? If it matches the car that hit yours then you have proof. Bonus if his car is damaged too.
Yes, ultimately you are correct. Bottom line, no witness, no case.
And as I already stated, it doesn't prove that the OP didn't back into the ASSH0LE.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316

Last edited by djfitter; 06-10-2009 at 09:20 AM.