Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
[...]

To the OP: Is there paint on your car that does not belong to your car? If it matches the car that hit yours then you have proof. Bonus if his car is damaged too.
No: the damage was done by his two upper license plate screws and frame. My bumper is plastic and it left no visible paint on his screws that I could see. His car was not damaged at all.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:22 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Tell the police you plan on sueing the owner of the vehicle so you will obviously need their help since the owner of the vehicle was not around and you waited for an hour. Again they may not give you the information directly but you should be able to file for small claims and maybe reference the police report? I don't know what the behind the scenes is - but again - what happens if the guy rolled your car and totaled it? Would the cops give the same line?

Don't we have a lawyer or a cop around the forums trolling? Post!

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:24 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
I'm at work and my system doesn't allow me to view your pictures, but I agree with what everyone is saying and I feel your pain. I get really nervous whenever I have to parallel park. Unfortunately it's a tough fight. There are idiots out there who don't give a crap about thier car and then there are some places where parking is just hard. Ever seen cars parked in Boston? Holy crap, glad I don't have to park there. Those cars are always bumping each other. I 've gotta think that Manhattan isn't much different?

Seems to me the bottom line question for you is how much work do you want to put into this?
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...
Old 06-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Quote:
Tell the police you plan on sueing the owner of the vehicle so you will obviously need their help since the owner of the vehicle was not around and you waited for an hour. Again they may not give you the information directly but you should be able to file for small claims and maybe reference the police report? I don't know what the behind the scenes is - but again - what happens if the guy rolled your car and totaled it? Would the cops give the same line?

Makes sense. Will do. Thank you.

Quote:
Don't we have a lawyer or a cop around the forums trolling? Post!
Yes, please post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by energetik9 View Post
[...]
Seems to me the bottom line question for you is how much work do you want to put into this?

You know I thought about that last night while waiting: I do the right thing and expect people to do the same. Adults whom take shortcuts and go the path of least resistance while knowing their actions will affect others pi$$ me off.
Those I'd like punished harshly and I may take the time to see this through for that reason.
My wife says I cannot change/ educate people though and it's risky for me to try as I may get in trouble (as in being "dead right").

He had no business doing that to my car and leaving a couple of inches would not have affected his parking as it didn't fit properly anyway. Just plain lazy moronic people.

Last edited by octopump; 06-10-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i sedan
to me the fact that that idiot's a$$ was sticking out in front of the driveway is more than enough proof that you were there first.

it is for these reasons I just take up all the room if there is 1.5 parking spaces.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe xDrive
what an asshole... people who drive POS like that should, at the least, respect others...

2009 335i Coupe xDrive | Alpine Whte | Cream Beige Leather | AT | Premium | Cold Weather | Navigation | iPod&USB
Old 06-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09335iMT View Post
[...]

it is for these reasons I just take up all the room if there is 1.5 parking spaces.
That's what I did.

I was baffled when I saw that this moron thought he could/ tried to fit there. I am assuming 98% of people would have just driven by but I was dealt a hand by the particularly stupid and selfish minority this time around.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
That's what I did.

I was baffled when I saw that this moron thought he could/ tried to fit there. I am assuming 98% of people would have just driven by but I was dealt a hand by the particularly stupid and selfish minority this time around.
Unfortunately it happens to the best of us. Some people will just NEVER get it...they were not from the considerate tree

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
I think four flat tires would rehabilitate the driver of that POS to respect other people's property. The cops didn't ticket him for blocking a driveway? In SF if the car is even an inch in someone's driveway the DPT will be more than happy to ticket and tow them.

Your dealer recommending a bumper replacement is absurd. Don't even consider it. When you park on the street there's no way you'll keep your car ding free. I've seen people bump park in SF every day I lived up there. They back up until they bump the car, pull forward until they bump that car, then back up and split the difference. It's how it's done.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 06-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

They didn't want to ticket him on my suggestion because they said that the car could belong to the house owner or if it doesn't no one called them to complain that car was infringing on/ blocking the driveway. In fact, the whole time they barely looked at the car behind me!

I garage my car but it's true occasionally I leave it outside when I am at other locations. I only park like that when I feel there is enough space around me for my car to be left there safely.

I thought of deflating his tires but didn't want to take the risk of getting caught doing it (unlike him...). Then I'd have been in trouble.

ohhhh, but was it ever tempting to pull out and use that Cobra S9 driver from the drunk!

Last edited by octopump; 06-10-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Acura RDX
Are there any traffic light cameras around? Or a camera of any sort? The police could get something out of them if they're there. If not then, you do have the risk of having the guy denying his fault and saying you backed into him. Hmm... this is a pretty stressful situation. How did he not feel his car hit yours? He should've at least felt it, and backed up a bit.... must've been a woman driving (joking :P)
Old 06-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

I'll try and go back there to look.

It would seem the person didn't care: I am sure they were aware that there was no space left in-between our cars. In fact, it appears that was the intent.

Last edited by octopump; 06-10-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
There are haters out there, unfortunately

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 06-10-2009, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Coupe
About painting or not painting the bumper...

Based on the small damage I could see from the picture in the first post, I would not paint the entire bumper or replace it.

I'm also struggling with this decision as I've scratched my front bumper accidentaly.
My hesitation is because:
- I don't want to paint the entire bump and risk not having a perfect match
- I don't want the person/dealer that buys my car later thinks that I had a front collision and had to paint the entire bumper and wants to discount the car fair value then

I'm thinking about a touch up job - I know it won't come out nearly as good as a full paint job, but at least, if anyone asks, I can say: Yeah, stupid me scratched the bumper and I had it touched up.

What do you think about touch up as an alternative?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

I agree with your viewpoint using both explanation to validate it.

I haven't looked into the touch-up idea. The problem is that the screws peeled-up the paint & plastic from my bumper. So I think that would have to be cleaned-up first. How can that be done with enlarging the problem? I don't know.

This being said, I am sure a body shop can do wonders these days.

How big is/ are your scratche(s)?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Your insurance company doesn't want you to file a claim because (in addition to the possibility that you backed into him as djfitter pointed out):
1 - They can get you to pay your deductible, thus reducing their costs.
2 - It will cost them time and effort to go after him. No claim equals much less work.

I think the fact that there were no witnesses means the cops can't really help you but your insurance can sure get it done if you file a claim and they become responsible for the repair.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
Your insurance company doesn't want you to file a claim because (in addition to the possibility that you backed into him as djfitter pointed out):
1 - They can get you to pay your deductible, thus reducing their costs.
2 - It will cost them time and effort to go after him. No claim equals much less work.

I think the fact that there were no witnesses means the cops can't really help you but your insurance can sure get it done if you file a claim and they become responsible for the repair.
Bingo

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 06-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Thanks everyone. Love these forums.

I am going to file a police report with my story, the pictures and clever combined input from you all today.

With that in hands, tomorrow, I'll file a claim with Allstate.
They told me this afternoon that I had 3 years after the occurrence to file a claim for it. That surprised me.

They also said that if they manage to get the money from that other car owner's insurance, then I would get my deductible back.

I have the Platinum package on my Allstate policy which gets me $100 off of my collision deductible (taking it down to $400), accident forgiveness (premiums never go up as long as I have this package) and 5% of some the components of the policy totalling-premiums cash-back per semester.

Thanks again. Perhaps and hopefully this thread will also help someone else.

Will post back to keep everyone in the loop.

Last edited by octopump; 06-10-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Man, I feel for you bro, I've got too much of a hot temper to let that vehicle slide ... I'd have some friends cruise on by, there would be little left of that piece of crap!

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 06-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Lymphoma Cancer Awareness

Mein Auto: '10 Bora
For the future go to www.youparklikeanasshole.com print their tickets and place one as needed. I have a small stack in my "one glove box" of course I had to move my glove into the trunk Of course if you think you might see that car again it could get risky as they would probably know you were the one who placed it lol... works better in a more anonymous situation

I don't have to drive like I am in a race car everyday, It's just knowing that I can

"It's the Ulitimate Driving Machine, These things happen" - Officer after issuing a speeding ticket
Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Trend Setter!

Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2009

What a dumazzz.....
Old 06-10-2009, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
First of all, unfortunately this is to be expected where you live (I lived in LI/CT/NTC too). Check out the bumpers of every car around you. You will need to get used to the fact that this is part of owning a car in an area like this, or you will be forking over the $900 smacks every few months to paint your bumpers. Second, I'll bet if you clean the bumper thoroughly (might need a clay bar on the scuffs), then put a coat of good wax on and you will never notice anything, unless I missed something in those pics. Good luck, pretty car!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to mickey513
Mein Auto: e46
I would say this will be difficult to prove even with the pictures since there is no witness. First off, how do you know he won't just say he was parked there first and "YOU BACKED INTO HIS CAR"? Looking at that Rav4, the owner of it appears to be a person who doesn't give a **** and more then likely "LIE" about the situation. I don't see why the bumper would need to be replaced, a repaint should be more then enough.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
I don't put up with crap like this anymore......I'd kick a dent or two into his car or key it.....its the only thing these animals understand
+1. no f'ing excuse for people to be so inconsiderate of other people's property. none.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

I am impressed by the people who sound like they'd actually have retaliated despite the risks.

Good news:

So today I went to precinct closest to that location to file a Police report. They hand over a form (MV-104) and tell me to fill it out and mail it; also that I will get a copy of the report in the mail which will serve as validation.
I ask to speak with an detective (I am standing at the entrance counter talking to a woman who is blasť) and same as yesterday, he runs through a series of what if..., almost makes excuses for the Rav4 owner and tells me that it boils down to not having seen it and not having any witness.

I leave and go back to where it happened. I had typed a note explaining what happened (no emotion, finger pointing just the facts and my phone # asking to contact me) which I wanted to leave on the windshield of that car this morning but it was gone. And the car was there on that street! I place the note and decide to wait for the owner: 15 minutes go by and a woman walks up to the car. I have a digital recorder in one hand (it's on) and my cellphone in the other.

I first get her to say it's her car and that she's the driver. First says she doesn't remember being parked on the other side of the street behind me yesterday and then proceeds to apologize profusely when I say I have pictures (I show them to her) and that I had the Police come over yesterday.

I asked why did you do that: she's got no explanation. She "didn't mean to". She is not aware of what she's done (air headed, no clue about being considerate or the fact that her actions have consequences). She walks back to my car with me to show her the damage and says "but that's nothing: look my car is all scratched up"! I ignore that and answer her question next about how much I think it's going to cost: $900 to replace the bumper based on estimates over the phone. "No, I don't think it costs $900 to fix that. I don't have $900 dollars". I say I don't want $900 from you. I need your insurance info.

She is a real estate person (that explains her attitude towards her car and other's perhaps?), her phone rings three times in the 5 minutes we are talking, she is on her way to an appointment....

I want to be courteous out of self interest (I still don't have her driver license or insurance card in hand at that point) so I offer to meet tomorrow. She gives me her business card and info and offers to meet at her office (around the corner) at 4:30 pm tomorrow to sort this out. I intend to bring the cops with me despite being overkill and a potential embarrassment to her.

My wife is still shaking her head and thinks I should let it go. I am bent on teaching the person a lesson but reality is different: if they don't know/ get it on their own, it is pointless to try and educate them. Something like this: Never try and teach a pig to sing: it's a waste of your time and it annoys the pig.

This is so frustrating but it could have turned out worse.

To be continued...

Last edited by octopump; 06-10-2009 at 04:34 PM.