Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-10-2009, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 3 Series
now you get her, if she doesnt pay just sue her..i hate ppl like that...

also cops wont help bc they only know how to write tickets....
Old 06-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Correct and correct.

Actually case in point: I just called the precinct, I get the same woman on the phone, ask to leave a message for those officers from yesterday to which she responds: "we don't do that. officers cannot go out and meet you again".

Round and round we go....

Last edited by octopump; 06-10-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
I'm not defending women at all, but she doesn't have the audacity to realize that she hit your car?!?!? OMG! That's insane. I, on the other hand, hit a car a long time ago with no one around, and I left a note on the car that I hit, saying I'm sorry I hit your car here is my information! Some of us can be responsible, although, I should have just drove away and left because there was no one there, but...I figure I'd do the right thing.

Let us know how it turns out! Hopefully she has insurance and can just deal with that. Good luck to you!

If she had a nicer car, she probably would be more careful and she's a real estate agent driving an old Rav4?? Must not be doing that well.....

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 06-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

I think it comes down to education. Not to make sweeping assumptions but I am inclined to say that people will go for the easiest thing if they feel they can get away with it and even if they don't when they are stupid. No right or wrong just selfishness and small set of mind.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I think it comes down to education. Not to make sweeping assumptions but I am inclined to say that people will go for the easiest thing if they feel they can get away with it and even if they don't when they are stupid. No right or wrong just selfishness and small set of mind.

That's true too and their morals and values as well

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 06-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:
I think it's how they're raised. There are some highly educated people who lack any morals and vice versa.

To the woman's defense, if she'd known she'd smacked the bumper of a BMW, why wouldn't she drive away and park elsewhere?
Old 06-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
I think it's how they're raised. There are some highly educated people who lack any morals and vice versa.

To the woman's defense, if she'd known she'd smacked the bumper of a BMW, why wouldn't she drive away and park elsewhere?

Agreed, I meant education as in the way they are raised indeed. I didn't mean to refer to education as in schooling.

And because there are other possible explanations. For instance, she was in a hurry and acted stupidly or because she didn't expect the owner of the BMW to be so fussy about its bumper. To her it's just a bumper and it's just a car. So in short insensitivity.

etc.

Last edited by octopump; 06-10-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: E90 335xi (ED 11/07)
I think rather than show up with the cops you come loaded for bear but continue the diplomacy. Show up with 3 estimates for the damage to be repaired, each showing bumper cover replacement (you want it in pre-accident condition after all), show her the photos and do a little digging on who she works for, etc. so that you know who you're dealing with. A Realtor has a professional reputation to protect. They know that, and you should use that to your advantage. One point is that they have to sign a code of ethics for their business practices. You could remind her that it would be hypocritical of her to show ethical behavior to a client but at the same time be unethical when it comes to fessing up to damage she caused. The points to be made to her are:

1. I've called the cops
2. I have photos not only showing your car bumped up against mine but also in violation of the parking code for clearances from a driveway
3. I have the report ready to go off to both the police and to my insurance who will subjugate your insurance, meaning her rates will go up! (maybe maybe not)
4. Maybe mention that you have a recording of her all but admitting guilt (might be better to hold onto this until point 3 below)

Then follow up with you'd like to handle this without engaging all these other parties. If she balks:

1. Say that you'll file this as a hit and run, which will drive not only a traffic citation but also give you further ammo for point 3 below.
2. You'll file with the insurance who will come after her, considering all the photos you have (may or may not happen, but for effect say that they will)
3. You'll consider taking her to small claims court for any deductible, time and effort out of your pocket.

In other words, shame, guilt and scare her into owning up to her obligations and make her think twice about being so inconsiderate. Having your stuff together will show that you're serious and that you have a plan. She sounds like she lives a frazzled life and will just pay you to make the problem go away. Probably a bad idea she gave you a card. You could simply camp out at her place of work, make a few negative comments to a prospective client and $900 for repairs would look like chump-change compared to a lost commission (especially in this market).

Be firm, be professional and be candid and let the rest work for you. The cops want you to handle this without their help. If you can, great. If not, use the accident report/ property damage report to in effect mandate they do something. I'm sure that once a report is filed, they have to investigate.

Last edited by NewBMWownr; 06-10-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
I have lived in Boston for years and the street parking here is possibly even worse than where you are. I rent an off-street space because I can't stand the idea of leaving my car out on the mean streets all night, so I can relate to your wanting to keep it nice.
Having said that, I would let this whole thing go. From your own accounts of the people around you, no one really understands why you are being so intense about this. If you live in an area where it is nearly impossible to keep cars pristine, you can either drive a crappy car you don't care about at all, (say for example, a RAV4) or you can drive what you love and try to handle the inevitable dings and mishaps with good humor.
On a side note, why did BMW get rid of those black bumper strips on the E46? If this car had been older, it probably wouldn't have gotten nearly as damaged. They should make an 'urban parking package' with rub strips and folding mirrors, or maybe pop out bumper guards!

Last edited by machtnichts; 06-10-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:08 PM

Mein Auto: ED 330i
Quote:
Thanks everyone. Love these forums.

I am going to file a police report with my story, the pictures and clever combined input from you all today.

With that in hands, tomorrow, I'll file a claim with Allstate.
They told me this afternoon that I had 3 years after the occurrence to file a claim for it. That surprised me.

They also said that if they manage to get the money from that other car owner's insurance, then I would get my deductible back.

I have the Platinum package on my Allstate policy which gets me $100 off of my collision deductible (taking it down to $400), accident forgiveness (premiums never go up as long as I have this package) and 5% of some the components of the policy totalling-premiums cash-back per semester.

Thanks again. Perhaps and hopefully this thread will also help someone else.

Will post back to keep everyone in the loop.
File police report? Definitely. I would report it as a hit and run, since that's exactly what happened. And then go to your DMV and report the hit and run and ask for identity of the driver. Then go to court and sue her. If you are really pissed off and have more time than money, this is the way to go. You should win - it's pretty obvious proof with the pics though I suppose a judge could say that you have no proof of who backed into who. But I doubt she would deny it, more likely just contest the damages. Then you simply file the judgment and have the sheriff seize her car if she doesn't pay. That would get her attention.

File insurance claim? You have to be kidding. You are going to file for $400? And risk a sky high premium increase if you have another claim in the next few years? Definitely not worth it, I would not file a claim for anything less than $2k, but then again my deductible is $1k. The rate increase for 1 claim is usually in the neighborhood of 33% or more for 3 years. And they don't really care whose fault it is. No way, that is being penny wise and pound foolish. Especially when your bumper is likely to get dinged up again in short order if you keep parking on city streets.

I sympathize but to be quite honest it's not the type of thing I get worked up about anymore as it seems to occur quite frequently in any major metro area. Parking is difficult, spaces are tight, and there are just too many +++++++ who just don't care. And it is almost impossible to find a space that is fully protected from door dings or bumper dings. So your choice basically is not to drive a nice car into the city (what's the point in owning one then) or to just accept this is a fact of modern life, and vent directly to the culprit if you chance to catch them. Very upsetting, but the way it is.

Last edited by Boraxo; 06-10-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:23 AM
Advocate de diabolo

Mein Auto: 330xi '04, X5 35d '11
OP: Keep doing what you got to do.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
I would take pictures and wait for him and then have words with him. Then sue him in small claims.

As for insurance - if your car gets hit while you are parked your rates should not go up.

As for the cops - if the guys car is sitting on your bumper then I don't know what other evidence they need.

Shop around for the bumper - you should get it cheaper in other places. Even the dealership I bought my car from said bumpers are about $300.
a claim is a claim , if your company dishes out money on your behalf they can raise your rates.... in fact we had a claim while parked and a few years later when i got married we were shopping for insurance.. 3 companies said while my driving record was perfect i had a claim and quoted me crazy rates... my own company didnt raise me so i stayed with them although they could have too
Old 06-11-2009, 03:01 AM

Mein Auto: 5
I am amazed the cops even came out in NY.

I tell you if that would've happened to me I would have exacted $900 bucks in revenge.

4 Flats, no side mirrors and a dropped deuce on the hood.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:01 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
This is so frustrating but it could have turned out worse.

To be continued...

Good for you. Just continue to be nice - I am sure she didn't mean to do it (doesn't make it right but I don't think she maliciously damaged your car). It's rare that someone gets to find the person who did the deed - but you did.

If you can get a fax, from the repair shop, giving an estimate to replace the bumper. If she says "touch-up paint" explain to her that your car didn't need touch-up paint before her and that the value of the car is reduced (since car-fax will now show the car was damaged). Given the reduction in car value just having her pay to replace the bumper is nice on your part.

Question for those who may know: If you replace your bumper does it reduce the resale value of your car? Assuming there was no structural damage/repair.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:04 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBMWownr View Post
IBe firm, be professional and be candid and let the rest work for you. The cops want you to handle this without their help. If you can, great. If not, use the accident report/ property damage report to in effect mandate they do something. I'm sure that once a report is filed, they have to investigate.
Another reason to not bring the cops - they may blow a story you give. if you say "
i called the cops, got a report, etc..." and "i will file a hit and run, you will get citation, etc"... if the cops are there and what you said is not true they may say that (then again they may support you if they believe the woman did the deed).

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:07 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
a claim is a claim , if your company dishes out money on your behalf they can raise your rates.... in fact we had a claim while parked and a few years later when i got married we were shopping for insurance.. 3 companies said while my driving record was perfect i had a claim and quoted me crazy rates... my own company didnt raise me so i stayed with them although they could have too
Interseting, my car was involved in a hit and run where the guy totally removed my bumper. The damages were about $1500 (had to repair the frame to support a new bumper). I asked the insurance company about my rates - they said it would not go up because it was a parked vehicle (legally). They sent me a letter attesting to this.

Eventually i left insurance companies for a newer company (it was about 3 years later). I got quoted a lower rate with State Farm then Nationwide.

It's odd that you paid more because of a parkign accident. I would not do busienss with that insurance company. Each company has their own policies - but when they do stupid **** like that they lose business.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-11-2009, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 3 Series
true...if you parking on the street some little dent here and there is unavoidable - no matter how careful you are you cannot control how other are doing...

even if you fix it this time it may get damaged in the future....

anyway good luck and let us know how much she is going to pay you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
File police report? Definitely. I would report it as a hit and run, since that's exactly what happened. And then go to your DMV and report the hit and run and ask for identity of the driver. Then go to court and sue her. If you are really pissed off and have more time than money, this is the way to go. You should win - it's pretty obvious proof with the pics though I suppose a judge could say that you have no proof of who backed into who. But I doubt she would deny it, more likely just contest the damages. Then you simply file the judgment and have the sheriff seize her car if she doesn't pay. That would get her attention.

File insurance claim? You have to be kidding. You are going to file for $400? And risk a sky high premium increase if you have another claim in the next few years? Definitely not worth it, I would not file a claim for anything less than $2k, but then again my deductible is $1k. The rate increase for 1 claim is usually in the neighborhood of 33% or more for 3 years. And they don't really care whose fault it is. No way, that is being penny wise and pound foolish. Especially when your bumper is likely to get dinged up again in short order if you keep parking on city streets.

I sympathize but to be quite honest it's not the type of thing I get worked up about anymore as it seems to occur quite frequently in any major metro area. Parking is difficult, spaces are tight, and there are just too many +++++++ who just don't care. And it is almost impossible to find a space that is fully protected from door dings or bumper dings. So your choice basically is not to drive a nice car into the city (what's the point in owning one then) or to just accept this is a fact of modern life, and vent directly to the culprit if you chance to catch them. Very upsetting, but the way it is.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Thanks everyone.

To address the idea of letting this go:
Could I let this go because "she didn't really mean to" or "because she's struggling and has no money and things are about to get bad for her DMV license record and insurance rates?
Sure, but why would I after the aggravation, inconvenience and wasted-time she made me go through? She doesn't seem to even understand all of this.
Had she left a note or showed since remorse and some consideration, I would let it go but she's just irresponsible and almost dishonest.
In both cases I'd have to live with the damage or get it fixed. It falls back on me and I cannot/ should not do this to myself seeing who I am dealing with.

I got one dealership to email me an estimate, it's $1,198.74 including parts (the bumper itself is $489.40), paint and labor (I don't have parking sensors by the way). It's good because the minimum damage on the MV-104 form is $1,001. Other dealerships I called insisted on seeing the car before giving out an estimate so I'll stop by one this afternoon on my way to the meeting.

Some of you mentioned parking on public streets and Boston: I read this morning a parking spot recently sold there near the Public Gardens I think for $300K.

I garage my car and don't live at that location but visit from time to time, sometimes stay overnight. I usually take the time to find a spot between two driveways so my car is the least exposed to problems. This time I took-up the available space of 1.5 spot and thought I'd be ok: no one could reasonably fit behind me and clear the driveway. Then this person comes-by...
It's actually a good neighborhood with MBs, other BMWs, a few Porsches etc. amongst the more common other cars, even if on some cases, I found that my car had been spit on a few times: probably by youngsters, who knows?

Meanwhile, spoke with Allstate and my agent says, the bill is lower than she expected and that had it been a MB, it would have easily been twice that amount.
She explained with that person's name, insurance info, the recording I made of our conversation with her admitting, there should be no problem getting her insurance company to pay-up. I'd file no claim with Allstate, my agent would file for me with her insurance company and this goes away.
Now I still don't have her insurance info. So in case she just disappears today and I never see her again or if she refuses to give it up, my agent says I'd have to file a claim with Allstate if I want to and let them go after her.

Aside, the small court route as suggested above from your posts is always there as well.

You guys are right: having the cops there isn't a good idea and the conversation may go against me.
Given their stellar performance last time, I have decided to contact them only if she has disappeared or if I am there at the meeting and she doesn't want to hand over her personal contact, license and policy info. I'll have my digital recorder with me again.

This morning I call her office in order to confirm the meeting at the end of the day and get the office's voicemail. It sounds like a *very* small real estate agency. Tried 6 times in total this morning and still no one picking up.

Will post news tonight.

Last edited by octopump; 06-11-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:17 AM

I would still follow through with your insurance company. You shouldn't let her off the hook, what she did was wrong and who knows, she could do it to someone else and you're doing her a favor becaue the next time, that person may not be soo lucky. Good thing it was only minor bumper damage and nothing else. Too bad you weren't able to get her insurance and other necessary information right then and there when you spoke to her the first time.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

To address the idea of letting this go:
Could I let this go because "she didn't really mean to" or "because she's struggling and has no money and things are about to get bad for her DMV license record and insurance rates?
Sure, but why would I after the aggravation, inconvenience and wasted-time she made me go through? She doesn't seem to even understand all of this.
Had she left a note or showed since remorse and some consideration, I would let it go but she's just irresponsible and almost dishonest.
In both cases I'd have to live with the damage or get it fixed. It falls back on me and I cannot/ should not do this to myself seeing who I am dealing with.

I got one dealership to email me an estimate, it's $1,198.74 including parts (the bumper itself is $489.40), paint and labor (I don't have parking sensors by the way). It's good because the minimum damage on the MV-104 form is $1,001. Other dealerships I called insisted on seeing the car before giving out an estimate so I'll stop by one this afternoon on my way to the meeting.

Some of you mentioned parking on public streets and Boston: I read this morning a parking spot recently sold there near the Public Gardens I think for $300K.

I garage my car and don't live at that location but visit from time to time, sometimes stay overnight. I usually take the time to find a spot between two driveways so my car is the least exposed to problems. This time I took-up the available space of 1.5 spot and thought I'd be ok: no one could reasonably fit behind me and clear the driveway. Then this person comes-by...
It's actually a good neighborhood with MBs, other BMWs, a few Porsches etc. amongst the more common other cars, even if on some cases, I found that my car had been spit on a few times: probably by youngsters, who knows?

Meanwhile, spoke with Allstate and my agent says, the bill is lower than she expected and that had it been a MB, it would have easily been twice that amount.
She explained with that person's name, insurance info, the recording I made of our conversation with her admitting, there should be no problem getting her insurance company to pay-up. I'd file no claim with Allstate, my agent would file for me with her insurance company and this goes away.
Now I still don't have her insurance info. So in case she just disappears today and I never see her again or if she refuses to give it up, my agent says I'd have to file a claim with Allstate if I want to and let them go after her.

Aside, the small court route as suggested above from your posts is always there as well.

You guys are right: having the cops there isn't a good idea and the conversation may go against me.
Given their stellar performance last time, I have decided to contact them only if she has disappeared or if I am there at the meeting and she doesn't want to hand over her personal contact, license and policy info. I'll have my digital recorder with me again.

This morning I call her office in order to confirm the meeting at the end of the day and get the office's voicemail. It sounds like a *very* small real estate agency. Tried 6 times in total this morning and still no one picking up.

Will post news tonight.
2 words. Judge Judy. Take her to TV court so everybody knows what an A-hole she is.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 06-11-2009, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Acura RDX
Quote:
I'll try and go back there to look.

It would seem the person didn't care: I am sure they were aware that there was no space left in-between our cars. In fact, it appears that was the intent.
Yeah he/she DEFINITELY doesn't seem to care. Just by looking at the other dents on his/her car, we already know this probably isn't the first time for him/her.

EDIT: oh so it IS a "her", haha.

Last edited by reyoasian; 06-11-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335I Convertible
Had the same problem with my Atlantic Blue convertible. Repair quotes were $850. Went to a shop that does restoration work on 50's-60's cars. Work is down for them in this economy and they repaired it for $300. See if you can find a shop that works on hot rods, muscle cars, etc. These guys know what they're doing. You may have the same good luck.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 04 330i
Dude i hope you get this resolved and get this bumper fixed on her dime!! I would be infuriated if this happened to me... too many people in this world that have no respect for other people's property. Best of luck to you and based on your effort and preparation.. everything should go well
Old 06-11-2009, 10:12 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

The most expensive work does not equal the best work. There was recently a person posted that he paid about 400 for a tint job (very high price) and the work was horrible (probably just a mistake, the tint place is reputable). Given that - it's replacing a bumper - so you want a quality job (the bumper is secure, the paint matches). I believe the bumper is bought in the color you need it.

So if you can get it at $600 and the work is good then get it at $600. No need to pillage someone just to get a bigger number (not like you are getting the money).

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-11-2009, 11:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to mickey513
Mein Auto: e46
All I can say is.... WOW

I can still tell if you go through her insurance or your insurance, no way will they replace the bumper in accident like these. And beware, even if the insurance company decide to replace the bumper, you will not get OEM if there are aftermarket, "like kind/used" that is available. It is perfectly legal for the insurance company to use these parts provided they meet certain safety criteria.