Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
X3 Purchase - Knowing what to look for

Hello. This is my first post. I'm a long time BMW owner (since 1986). My first one was a 524 turbo diesel. Currently I drive a 2003 E39 M5. I'm looking at a 2006 X3 with less than 20k miles as a family vehicle. I've read through hundreds of threads here on the subject of transmission issues, squeaks and creaks, hesitation, etc. I'm test driving it now and have gone over bumpy roads, opened and closed the doors multiple times, listened for rattles, looked for hesitation from stops, done the hill climb test both up and down hill to check the shifting.

I can't think of another test to do. My question is how many of you that are experiencing these problems knew to look for them when you tried out your car, and they still slipped by? Or was the first time you knew of these issues after they surfaced? Can these issues really be hidden short term or if I know to look for them should I be able to determine that they're there?

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2009, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
With an '06 5 spd. AT model the transmission does not have the issues that the '07 - on 6 spd. has.

No harm in doing the due diligence that you have carried out, but with just 20K on it, I would only be concentrating on finding out if that was good highway miles or less-desirable short commutes.

If it seems to have been well-cared for, sounds like a good find.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
They 06 seems to be a safe bet with X3's and with that low a mileage the only thing I would do is make sure to do a VIN check with dealer and Car Fax report.

You can play it safe and have an independent certified mechanic give it the once over.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 06-10-2009, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
Thanks guys. I did not do an independent PPI like I normally do when I buy a used car; primarily because I'm buying from the same dealer and salesman I've used for 18 years and because it's a CPO'd X3. I'll also be extending the maintenance warranty. The CPO is good until 2012.

I did decide to buy it. I pick it up tomorrow. Can't wait. It's Mystic Blue with Terracotta interior and the light wood trim.

All the discussions I read here were great preparation. At this point I feel I've done all I could in advance to test for issues. I tested it over every possible urban terrain I could with the stereo off listening for every possible sound. It was quiet and seems very sturdy. Acceleration is good and I averaged about 19 mpg city/highway when I didn't do high revs.

One thing I notice is that the X3 gas mileage is very much dependent on driving style. I reset the computer several times and during those periods I accelerated quickly from lights and entered the freeway fast, I saw 15 mpg or less. My other BMW doesn't see 5mpg swings dependent on how I drive; unless of course I put it on the track. It always sees around 15 mpg in mixed city/highway driving even if I push it hard.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut1 View Post
One thing I notice is that the X3 gas mileage is very much dependent on driving style. I reset the computer several times and during those periods I accelerated quickly from lights and entered the freeway fast, I saw 15 mpg or less. My other BMW doesn't see 5mpg swings dependent on how I drive; unless of course I put it on the track. It always sees around 15 mpg in mixed city/highway driving even if I push it hard.
This is normal. I live on a hill, and I get 12-15 mpg in local driving but 20-25 mpg of freeways. One way in which the X3 differs from the typical BMW sedan is that you are moving 2 tons of vehicle around.
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Is that Blue X3 @ Baron's in KC?