Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-10-2009, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: jeep
potential 3-series owner

I'm considering either a 328 or 335. Which one is more ideal for my situation. I believe I can find a 2008 bmw 335i w/ 8k miles for $35,000 (premium package)

Here is my current situation:
- I drive 40 miles a day (mainly highway)
- I don't have a garage
- occasionally go on gravel/dirt roads

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
Well THAT's not enough to go on.

What are you driving now?
Are you addicted to power?
Will you get a manual transmission?
How often are you the only one in the car?
How far away is the nearest BMW dealer?

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 06-10-2009, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: jeep
I currently drive a 2004 Toyota 4Runner. I'm 6''4 and thought a SUV would be a better fit out of college
I want a balance of power and decent gas mileage
No. Automatic.
90% of the time. 10% chance there might be 1 or 2 people
15 miles

It seems like I can get a pretty good deal for a 2008 beamer.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Porsche Turbo, E93 335i
328 is your rig.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Get the 335. The fuel economy is only slightly below the 328 and from I've read here the auto tranny slows the 328 too much (I have a manual 328). The 335 with AT will still be plenty quick.

Thanks, Mike.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
The 335 is pretty fast, especially when you switch it to the manual mode DS: it is a beast!!

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 06-15-2009, 12:22 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
if you need power, get 335, else 328 is fine
Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Just to note - the 328 is also powerful. Yes the 335 is more powerful but it is a matter of what suits your needs. I recommend test driving both. Then when you figure out if you want a 328 or 335 test drive a sedan & coupe. Then determine if you want x-drive (awd) or rear-wheel drive...and yes x-drive also helps in the rain, not just the snow/ice. Actually since you are driving on gravel/dirt roads go for x-drive, and drive slowly so you don't kick rocks up on your car.

If your primary concern is fuel economy then BMW may not be a vehicle for you....though you may want to consider getting a Diesal BMW. Those get better fuel efficiency and the emissions are much cleaner.

If you drive each day then go for automatic....yes at first the manual is fun, but more often then not convenience is great.

BTW 328 vs 335 there are more differences then just power - so check out the extra options in the 335...do you want/need them?

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 06-15-2009, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335 coupe
Just don't consider the 428i my choice is obvious

2013 X5
Old 06-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Just to note - the 328 is also powerful. Yes the 335 is more powerful but it is a matter of what suits your needs. I recommend test driving both. Then when you figure out if you want a 328 or 335 test drive a sedan & coupe. Then determine if you want x-drive (awd) or rear-wheel drive...and yes x-drive also helps in the rain, not just the snow/ice. Actually since you are driving on gravel/dirt roads go for x-drive, and drive slowly so you don't kick rocks up on your car.

If your primary concern is fuel economy then BMW may not be a vehicle for you....though you may want to consider getting a Diesal BMW. Those get better fuel efficiency and the emissions are much cleaner.

If you drive each day then go for automatic....yes at first the manual is fun, but more often then not convenience is great.

BTW 328 vs 335 there are more differences then just power - so check out the extra options in the 335...do you want/need them?

Not to be contrary, but there is little reason to believe Xdrive helps in the rain.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Not to be contrary, but there is little reason to believe Xdrive helps in the rain.
xdrive helps plenty in the rain. traction with a 2wd isn't as good in slippery surfaces, it's as simple as that.

Taking a left turn against oncoming traffic in the rain is the same as in the dry in an xdrive car... you can go ahead and give it all the gas you want to give it. In a rwd or fwd car you will either spin tires or activate dsc if you applay too much throttle.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan, sport paddles
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler View Post
I currently drive a 2004 Toyota 4Runner. I'm 6''4 and thought a SUV would be a better fit out of college
I want a balance of power and decent gas mileage
No. Automatic.
90% of the time. 10% chance there might be 1 or 2 people
15 miles

It seems like I can get a pretty good deal for a 2008 beamer.
Coming from a toyota 4 runner, the 328 auto should fit everything you want. It will be smoking fast compared to your 4 runner. I would tell you to test drive the manual though, just to see what you may be missing. BMW makes a really sweet manual and its perfectly matched to the 328 engine. the 335 is all about muscle car power, otherwise it IS a 328.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:17 PM
New Mommy to Kristopher

Mein Auto: 2009 328i convertible
I agree that the 328 is plenty of car. I had people tell me not to test drive the 335 because it would be hard to "settle" for the 328. I didn't find that to be the case. I liked knowing all of my options before deciding what I wanted, needed, or gave up.

But again, it boils down to personal preference. What do YOU want or need? Once you know that, the decision is pretty easy.

Proud owner of a 2009 328i convertible, black sapphire, black leather, ZCW, ZPP, ZSP, 2XA, Comfort Access, Park Distance Control, Nav, L7, Smartphone/IPOD/USB

LIFE IS GOOD!!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Gentleman Extraordinaire

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markinva View Post
xdrive helps plenty in the rain. traction with a 2wd isn't as good in slippery surfaces, it's as simple as that.

Taking a left turn against oncoming traffic in the rain is the same as in the dry in an xdrive car... you can go ahead and give it all the gas you want to give it. In a rwd or fwd car you will either spin tires or activate dsc if you applay too much throttle.
I agree from my experience with xDrive thus far

2009 E92 335i xDrive (Ordered 3/21/09 / Completed 5/4/09 / Delivery 6/6/09)

Space Gray Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Gray Poplar Wood Trim / ZPP / ZCW / ZSP with 18" wheels / StepTronic / Navi+HD Radio / Logic 7 / iPod+USB / PDC / Anti-Theft
Old 06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEcLeCTiK View Post
I agree from my experience with xDrive thus far
I agree to some extend but the problem I often encounter is that people feel that xDrive, Quattro, AWD, whatever you want to call it will save their butts and they drive like maniacs even during the rain. In general it should be somewhat helpful though to distribute the power output over all four wheels rather than just two.

Kinda like that saying that when off-roading the only thing a 4x4 will get you is into deeper trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 06-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Stick Drive

Mein Auto: 330i, 911E, UZJ100
Neither Why don't you look for a CPO 2006 330i? That way you get more power than a 328, no 335 HPFP issues and won't be too worried about the gravel road because she will come slightly used/dinged up.

Just my 2 cents
Old 06-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinva View Post

First of all, with decent tires, you should have very good traction in the rain, even with RWD. Unless you are doing something real dumb, you shouldn't be spinning your tires or activating stability/traction control just because it is raining.

Second, the main advantage of AWD pertains to starting under conditions of low traction. One the vehicle is actually moving, there is little real improvement in stability or handling (this is confirmed by tests published by Consumer Reports). And, those conditions are unlikely to exist in normal rainy situations. If you hit mud or gravel, that is another circumstance.

Oh, and by way of disclosure, I've had little personal experience with AWD systems (other than test drives and rental vehicles). Everything I am saying here comes directly from what I've read - not what I've actually experienced (Never say that Kilgore is not honest about the limits of what he knows...).
Old 06-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Get a 328i with manual transmission, xenon headlamps, and sunshades. If you drive slowly enough on gravel roads, you might risk sport package but really I wouldn't bother with a sport sedan off-road.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmwvr View Post
Neither Why don't you look for a CPO 2006 330i? That way you get more power than a 328, no 335 HPFP issues and won't be too worried about the gravel road because she will come slightly used/dinged up.

Just my 2 cents

Agreed! I have a 06' 330 for sale now I can save you lots dollars to pay off the college debt with
BMW CCA Member #407304
Old 06-15-2009, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan, sport paddles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
First of all, with decent tires, you should have very good traction in the rain, even with RWD. Unless you are doing something real dumb, you shouldn't be spinning your tires or activating stability/traction control just because it is raining.

Second, the main advantage of AWD pertains to starting under conditions of low traction. One the vehicle is actually moving, there is little real improvement in stability or handling (this is confirmed by tests published by Consumer Reports). And, those conditions are unlikely to exist in normal rainy situations. If you hit mud or gravel, that is another circumstance.

Oh, and by way of disclosure, I've had little personal experience with AWD systems (other than test drives and rental vehicles). Everything I am saying here comes directly from what I've read - not what I've actually experienced (Never say that Kilgore is not honest about the limits of what he knows...).
AWD is not more important than tire selection in the rain or even in the snow. I have found that AWD in the rain wasnt notably better than FWD. Where it really shines is patched ice, there is a huge difference there with throttle on, just huge. The most important feature in rain or snow is ABS, followed closely by tires, then back aways AWD, its third in importance, and a distant third. I remember owning a subie, and switching the tires to aquatreds. There was a much bigger difference with the tire change than when I bought an AWD car vs FWD. However that patchy ice brings out the best in AWD, but make sure the tires are fit to do the job.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdriver View Post
AWD is not more important than tire selection in the rain or even in the snow. I have found that AWD in the rain wasnt notably better than FWD. Where it really shines is patched ice, there is a huge difference there with throttle on, just huge. The most important feature in rain or snow is ABS, followed closely by tires, then back aways AWD, its third in importance, and a distant third. I remember owning a subie, and switching the tires to aquatreds. There was a much bigger difference with the tire change than when I bought an AWD car vs FWD. However that patchy ice brings out the best in AWD, but make sure the tires are fit to do the job.

This is exactly how I see it.