Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-11-2009, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: Accord
335i advice

Hi, I'm coming out of an '02 6sp C5 Vette and am interested in the 335i's.

I have a 50 mile roundtrip daily commute, 99% it's just me in the car. I like the power in the 335i (several test drives) and the styling attracted me. Was originally looking at CLK500's but after driving both I immediately liked the Bimmer better.

I will be getting an automatic this time around due to occasional traffic and with similar MPG I can't see an advantage anymore.

My budget is low to mid 30's OTD so I'm looking at 07's mostly. Many have between 30 & 40K miles, I'm concerned about buying a car that will have 100K on it just 5 years after I purchase it. I was thinking I should look at a 328 as they are a bit cheaper, but I think I'd kick myself forever about the difference in power. Now I haven't driven a 328 yet, but I imagine there is a significant difference.

I drive - I really think the dash looks better with nav but there are not many to chose from with nav. Should I really be so hung up on this?

So my questions are:
Should I back down a bit and look at 328's?
Is 40K too many miles for a used car I plan to keep for 5+ years and put 12.5+K mi/yr on?
Is Nav really cool, or not? (I know this is probably personal perspective).

Thx, hope to become an owner and regular member around here.
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2009, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 3 Series
Nav is not only cool...its a must have.......once you tried it out u will understand....
Old 06-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
The nav is definitely worth it

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 06-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
It's worth studying up on this, though. The older nav systems have some serious critics.

There is a big difference in power between the 335 and the 328. I'm happy with my 328. (Very happy.) But most feel you shouldn't cheat yourself... go for it!

There have been HPFP issues with the 335. Nobody has hard numbers so it's tough to know exactly what risk you'd be running that you'd need to swap it out. Some people have changed several. Others have had no problem at all.

With proper maintenance, there's no reason why these cars cann't do 200,000 miles. Remember that not all miles are created equal. If the previous driver had a lot of stop and go traffic, those are harder miles than those from somebody with a smooth sailing commute.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 06-11-2009, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: WRX
i would not get a 328 automatic. Drove one automatic loaner. Please try to get a stick 328.

If your budget in the 30k's, why not an used E46 M3? Or, brand new Infiniti G37S?

As much I love everything about 335i, the HPFP failure shocks me the most, especially it's a ~ 50k car from an Ultimate Driving Machine company.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 330i
I have an 07 335i coupe I just bought a month ago it had 27,000 miles on it. So far no problems with idrive and no HPFP problems!!

"ONLY 22 AND I ALREADY OWN TWO BMW'S"
Old 06-12-2009, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW GUR1 View Post
I have an 07 335i coupe I just bought a month ago it had 27,000 miles on it. So far no problems with idrive and no HPFP problems!!

Good for you! On e90 forum, 2 gent had theirs failed at 54k and 41k. So, it will fail sooner or later. If I could do it again, I would take an used M3 or 328 stick.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Top down in Sunny SoFla

Send a message via AIM to mfear
Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i JB+
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
The nav is definitely worth it
I disagree.. not much you can't do without the nav (except the navigation part)..
Old 06-12-2009, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 & Nissan LEAF EV
you should be able to get 2007 CPO 335i ~30k miles with all the options like Nav/sport/premium for high 20K or very low 30k.
Look around in other states also...shipping is like $500 in most cases or just drive back

2013 Nissan LEAF 100% Electric No GAS Yes Sir NO GAS NO Oil Change.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfear View Post
I disagree.. not much you can't do without the nav (except the navigation part)..
Unfortunately, I've always had nav in my cars, so I, personally, can't live without it

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 06-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Top down in Sunny SoFla

Send a message via AIM to mfear
Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i JB+
Yeah..I'd have gotten it, too.. but I had a TomTom that I never used.. i guess I just know my way around well enough that I didn't need actual navigation (and i was really impressed that you can do virtually everything the same from the normal control unit -- without nav)
Old 06-12-2009, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 99 328i
Stick with the 335. The 328 is much slower and coming from a Vette, you won't be happy with its performance.

I bought a 335 new with the NAV because there weren't any without it off the lot. AFter 18 months, I could do without the indash NAV in favor of a Garmin. With the OEM Nav, you're stuck with old technology that can't be upgraded over the life the car. In a 2007 BMW, NAV is DVD based, and BMW wants $199 for an updated DVD each year. With a Garmin or other handheld, you just toss out the old and get a new one at a discount for a little more than a new BMW DVD. Than you have upgraded hardware and software with map updates. Or for about $100 you just get the map updates. Garmin also releases updates to the onboard software in the flash memory. So you get improvements for free in the functionality of the GPS. Finally, you can plan out your trip on your computer and upload it to the GPS. Can't do that with the BMW NAV unless you have a 2009+.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Certified Car Nut

Send a message via AIM to mwpepper
Mein Auto: 2008 E90 335i
I did not opt for the nav option on my 335, I agree with what ramblinman states above. There are a few things that I am not able to control without the NAV option, but those items are far and few between. For me the best thing about having the NAV option would be being able to see the audio display with polarized glasses on. That is a whole different topic. If looking at the NAV sit down with the iDrive controller for a little bit, and see how you like it. All of the car rags hate them. They have improved the functionality for the 09 models, so be sure to play with an older unit. I love my Garmin 205W. Another great thing about a portable nav unit is that I can switch it between the cars.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan, sport paddles
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattr0 View Post
Good for you! On e90 forum, 2 gent had theirs failed at 54k and 41k. So, it will fail sooner or later. If I could do it again, I would take an used M3 or 328 stick.
Reliability is NOT a reason to buy an M3. BMW V8s are expensive to maintain and repair, and engine wear will be high with those insane piston speeds. What is forgotten by many is that the superior low end torque of the 335 means that RPMs in daily driving will be quite a bit lower for equal acceleration or cruising. RPMs and the related piston speeds are major factors in engine wear. Im not sure what is worse, insane piston speeds(M3 approaches a F1 racer at the power peak), or a low pressure(8.5psi) N54 turbo. Im betting the turbos last longer than the M3's, and the HPFP has a 10/120 warranty anyway. As far as the 328, the jury is still out on the MG/AL block with NO cast iron liners. the previous I6 E46 etc., engines were a stronger configuration than the current one. The introduction of the Mg/AL block was intended to decrease weight, not reliability. Mg/Al alloy is weaker than AL/cast iron liners, the latter will last longer, all else equal.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: Accord
Thanks for the reply's so far.

I'm interested in the Nav for several reasons, one I think the dash is a little outdated looking without the extra "bump" where the nav screen resides. I know this probably ruffels a few feathers but I really think the dash looks better with nav. Second, I like the control of climate and other things from it, I'm assuming you can do some of this through the steering wheel or through voice? I have a blackberry with telenav for getting around unfamiliar areas, so the actual nav function is not important to me.

For power, I have to admit the twin turbo attracts me for the ability to modify & tune, being able to add another 50+ lb/ft of torque for <$1K is incredible.

Not to offend Infinity owners...I drove a new G37S last night and was amazed the differences between these 2 cars. Much harsher ride, less responsive engine, far less features and luxury options, and at 6' I cannot sit in the back seats. The Nav is better than BMW's though, and it is a pretty nice looking car. Just felt less connected and more sitting in the car rather than being part of the car.

I feel pretty good that I've done my research now and I need a 335i coupe with sports, perf, Nav, and logic 7.

Last edited by West_Coaster; 06-12-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: '10 Audi TT Roadster
I'm another one firmly in the anti-Nav camp. If you need navigation, buy a $200 Garmin. Everything else can still be controlled either through the in dash computer or the radio menus. Apparently the iPod controls with the iDrive are better thant the iPod controls through the radio only (which are a conceded PITA), but as I leave my iPod on shuffle 99% of the time and use the track button on the steering wheel to skip songs, it's not a big issue.

Short version: if I could get one with Nav for the same price as one without Nav I'd do it, but I wouldn't pay a single dollar more for the Nav system.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattr0 View Post
it doesn't matter if it goes - BMW issued a bulletin - it is covered past 100k miles for all owners now.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopics View Post
I'm another one firmly in the anti-Nav camp. If you need navigation, buy a $200 Garmin. Everything else can still be controlled either through the in dash computer or the radio menus. Apparently the iPod controls with the iDrive are better thant the iPod controls through the radio only (which are a conceded PITA), but as I leave my iPod on shuffle 99% of the time and use the track button on the steering wheel to skip songs, it's not a big issue.

Short version: if I could get one with Nav for the same price as one without Nav I'd do it, but I wouldn't pay a single dollar more for the Nav system.
+1 - nav is never worth $2k - but it does give you more than a $200 Garmin - you get menus for your music also... not sure it's $2k worth though...

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011.5 E90 ZCP ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
it doesn't matter if it goes - BMW issued a bulletin - it is covered past 100k miles for all owners now.
Correct! I'm bringing my car (brand new 08, purchased 1/09) in to get the HPFP replaced or atleast checked out on Monday. Not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
+1 - nav is never worth $2k - but it does give you more than a $200 Garmin - you get menus for your music also... not sure it's $2k worth though...
After having all my iPod songs show up on my Alpine screen in my Civic and RSX and then only seeing "Track 1, track 2, etc..." in my GTI I'd pay $2000 to see what music I'm playing. Not to mention I believe it also has this thing called Navigation... its really slow to find crap but still worth having the screen!
2013 Cayenne S (SOLD)
2010 G37x (Lease Returned)
2011.5 ///M3 Sedan (ED 3/18/11) (SOLD)
2008 335i Sedan (SOLD)
2007 GTI (SOLD)
2006 RSX (SOLD)
1995 Civic (SOLD)
1994 Jetta RIP
Old 06-12-2009, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: Late '07 335 Coupe
I have '07 E92. I like and have Nav, and I like how it looks. But actually, it doessn't get used often, so you can live w/o it. You can't live w/o the 335 power. You will love your new car.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Buying used iDrive will not cost you the $2K it cost if you bought the car new so I'd find a car with it. It does make changing settings in the car fairly easy. If you are an iPod user the 2007 might come with an iPod/USB connector in the armrest, or as I did you can have a glovebox adapter installed (about $500 at the dealer).
Old 06-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
I agree with others here. I think my configuration is great... 328i, MT. It's light and quick. But if you need the automatic, you should go with the 335.

I didn't get the nav, but I like the look better without it, have a Garmin, and, yes, you can control everything without it. I have heard the iPod controls are better with the Nav and, truth be told, if you have a really loaded up iPod, the control through the radio is a pain. I work around it with lists... but that's another thread.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 06-12-2009, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Another in the anti Nav camp for reasons already mentioned by others, cost, utility, etc
Old 06-12-2009, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Jaguar
I would go for the nav
Old 06-12-2009, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 135i
Nothing wrong with the power delivery from the N52, particularly if you're going to be using it as a daily driver - give it a test drive. If it weren't for the N54, the N52 would be hailed as an amazing engine, and it only seems down on power because the N54 is just so amazingly powerful. Sport suspension preferred, naturally. With your budget, you may be able to get a stripped brand-new 328i. You might want to consider that, particularly if you plan to keep the car for a long time.

Have you considered a 128i? If you can deal with the smaller vehicle overall, your budget will be enough to buy a nicely equipped one brand new (or possibly a brand new stripped 135i.)

I can say that my experience with the STEPTRONIC in the 135i has been very good. I avoided the nav - way too expensive, and just one more thing that'll break, particularly if you're buying a used car. (By all accounts, the 2009 + iDrive is much, much nicer to have than the previous generation iDrive.) The $90 Garmin 205 has done its job quite well for me.

Last edited by jkp1187; 06-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.