Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: 1986 325e
325e Fuse stuck on.

Hi,
I own a 1986 325e. The tail lights were not working at all so I decided to check the fuses. Sure enough the no. 21 fuse (7,5A) was blown. So I went to change it and realized that there was power running through it when the key was not even in the car. Everything worked (ie. brake lights) when the fuse was in, and it didn't blow, but the radio and all of the interior lights remained on when the car was off with the key out of it.

Does anyone here know what might cause this?

Thank you for all of your help - Joe
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540TI,e36325,e30325
It seems like there is a relay that is bad or your ignition switch?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:15 AM

I thought it was the ignition too but its the fuse that seems to be getting stuck...
Old 06-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Rather Large Member

Mein Auto: 88 325is 04&09 jetta TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrobelair View Post
I thought it was the ignition too but its the fuse that seems to be getting stuck...
A fuse can't get stuck.

It's a relay or switch, most likely.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson
Old age and treachery, will always overcome youth and skill.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:33 AM

It wouldn't be the batteries in the instrument cluster would it?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Running life's race...

Mein Auto: 91 318i
Post Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM) link

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrobelair View Post
Hi,
I own a 1986 325e. The tail lights were not working at all so I decided to check the fuses. Sure enough the no. 21 fuse (7,5A) was blown. So I went to change it and realized that there was power running through it when the key was not even in the car. Everything worked (ie. brake lights) when the fuse was in, and it didn't blow, but the radio and all of the interior lights remained on when the car was off with the key out of it.

Does anyone here know what might cause this?

Thank you for all of your help - Joe
http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e30/e30_86.pdf

According to the ETM, fuse 21 is hot at all times. I don't know if you owned the car since day 1, but there's always a chance a previous owner did or paid for some mods that tapped into unexpected power sources from your point of view.

With my son's 90 vert and my 91 318i, I can toggle the interior light switches from always off, always on, on only when a door is opened. In your case, it might be that simple as well. I've only had aftermarket stereos in my E30s, and they shut off when the key is turned off.

Last edited by romeomike; 06-12-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:44 PM

The radio and all of the electrical equipment stays on when the key is off or even out of the car unless i take the fuse out. However, the brake lights do not work when the fuse is out. I bought the car 2 weeks ago used and they just had the fuse out but the rear lights did not work... so I am at a loss of what to do. Even when I do turn the lights off inside, the radio and gauges remain on.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Running life's race...

Mein Auto: 91 318i
Some thoughts

Attached is the stock radio wiring diagram. Give yourself some time to take the radio out of the dash and compare its wiring against the diagram. I suspect your on/off switch is wired into a source that is hot all the time.

As far as testing an instrument cluster goes, a Bentley manual will help somewhat, but you'll probably have to give your favorite search engine a good workout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StockRadioWiring.gif
Views:	87
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	189235