Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 325ci and airplanes
Exclamation fuel Pump replacement question, Gasket trouble, fuel spills!!!

OK i recently installed a used pump from another e46.
it was a pretty straightforward job, thanks to bimmerfest saved me a 100!

i got a significant boost to my fuel economy and more accurite fuel qty readings.

but recently i smelled little gasoline in the interior, and notice staining on my fuel tank when looking at the underside of the car.*

the last part kinda scared me since i dont want my car to burn!

when installing the fuel pump i noticed two rubber gaskets(o-rings), on is attached (kind of permantly) in the fuel pump opening, the other around the fuel pump, they look like they should mate to each other when installed. but i cannot install the fuel pump with one around the fuel pump. no amount of shuving will get the pump in there!
so i installed without the gasket. i need help and advice, i serched the wiki and e46fanatics, but to avail.

the gaskets from the old and "new" pump are identical not deforemed.

*it is possible that the staining from something else or spilt gasoline when changing the pupmp.

no spots on driveway detected whatsoever.

Please share you advice.

sorry cant get any pics.
Ads by Google
Old 06-13-2009, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
You said you installed the pump without the gasket so it is no surprise fuel is leaking out.

It is best to get new gaskets. When an old rubber gasket is removed and resused, it is usually no longer flexible due to age so it will likely not seal properly. Perhaps the gasket you have is still flexible enough that you can reuse it.

The fuel pump gasket is installed in this manner. Preinstall the fuel pump gasket on the stem of the fuel pump as you drop the pump into the chamber. With the fuel pump slightly raised, drop the gasket into position against the mounting ring. Work one section of the gasket onto the mounting ring with your finger. Then work on the rest of the perimeter of the the seal. There is enough flex on the rubber that one corner will buckle. The buckle will disapper once the gasket is properly installed. When the gasket is fully seated, lay the fuel pump fully onto its seat.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: '01 325i
You scare me sexy roman. Every time I read your posts, there's always something going haywire. Your gaskets and sealers need to be brand new when doing something like this.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: 01 325ci and airplanes
as my late father said "live dangerosly'
but i do carry a fire extingisher in the trunk just in case
stuff is not as haywire.