Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

View Poll Results: Which tires would you choose for jetstream's car based on his needs?
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 21 55.26%
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 17 44.74%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric or Michelin Pilot Sport PS2?

My 2005 330i ZHP needs new tires. My requirements/preferences, in order, are:

1. Good dry traction
2. Durability/Longevity
3. Low noise
4. Value (bang for the buck, not just low cost)

With little rain here in Arizona, wet traction is not a priority and I never track the car so ultimate performance is not a criteria.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 which would run about $1300 installed or the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric which would run about $1050 installed.

Please let me know what you think. The F1 A's seem like the logical choice but I've also heard that they wear out sooner. If the PS2's will get me 25K miles and the F1's 20K then I might lean towards the Michelin.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by jetstream23; 06-13-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2009, 11:28 PM

Any opinions or comments? Looks like there have been 45 views of this thread but no votes????

Anyone have experience with both of these tires for comparison purposes or make a decision between the same two? Thanks.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3
Given our experience with the tires in testing, they are very similar to each other in all measurable categories. With the price difference being so great in this size, I would tend to agree with you that the F1 Asym is the better value.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AB2&...ires/index.jsp

Old 06-16-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack View Post
Given our experience with the tires in testing, they are very similar to each other in all measurable categories. With the price difference being so great in this size, I would tend to agree with you that the F1 Asym is the better value.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AB2&...ires/index.jsp
Thanks Gary.

I've previously gotten my tires through Discount Tire but I'm intrigued by Tirerack. Is the process as straightforward as it seems? Contact a listed installer to arrange the work and then order through Tirerack to have shipped directly to the installer?

Are there any promotions, codes, etc. (e.g. free shipping) going on with Tirerack right now? First time customer stuff, etc.

Thanks.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Certified Public Assassin

Mein Auto: '03 540i6, '05 330Cic6
not too many choices....

Current Bimmers
2005 E46 330Cic 6MT Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach F&R Sways
2003 E39 540i6 M-Sport - Bilstein PSS Coilovers, Dinan Exhaust, aFe Intake, E60 SSK w/ZHP knob, M5 Rear Sway Bar, Rogue Engineering Camber Plates
1995 E36 M3 - TMS Chip, Bilstein Sport/Eibach Sportline Suspension, UUC SwayBarbarian F&R, Dinan Strut Tower Brace

Indy: Alvin@Import Autowerks (Braintree, MA)
http://www.iautowerks.com - (781)-818-3830

BMW CCA Membership # 381823
Old 06-17-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
Thanks Gary.

I've previously gotten my tires through Discount Tire but I'm intrigued by Tirerack. Is the process as straightforward as it seems? Contact a listed installer to arrange the work and then order through Tirerack to have shipped directly to the installer?

Are there any promotions, codes, etc. (e.g. free shipping) going on with Tirerack right now? First time customer stuff, etc.

Thanks.
Pretty simple, yes. Those on our recommended installer list have volunteered to be on the list so they won't hassle you about it. We ship directly to them and they install them. Although we do not offer discounts, we do honor any of the manufacturers current rebates and promotions, listed here :

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AB2&...cialevents.jsp

Old 06-17-2009, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Customer testimonial time, jet: I've done several wheel/tire sets from Tire Rack over the years and always flawless -- shipped direct to me and I bolt 'em up. Last year I did the tire only thing shipped to me and went to a recommended installer. Also flawless.

I've also done drive-in tire swaps with Discount Tire's local store (America's Tire) and that worked well when I wanted a credit for some new take-offs or something, but hard to beat Tire Rack.

Last year I bought the X3 wheel/tire package right when my wife was in the hospital critical care unit hanging by a thread. First lost a mounting ring -- my own fault. New set of four cheerfully sent to me immediately at no cost. Then pangs of buyer's remorse -- why ditch these perfectly good ///M wheels that came on the car anyway -- and contacted TR customer service. Changed your mind, sir? No problem -- send 'em back for a full refund less shipping. I decided to keep them but was impressed.
Quote:
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 06-17-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
Customer testimonial time, jet: I've done several wheel/tire sets from Tire Rack over the years and always flawless -- shipped direct to me and I bolt 'em up. Last year I did the tire only thing shipped to me and went to a recommended installer. Also flawless.

I've also done drive-in tire swaps with Discount Tire's local store (America's Tire) and that worked well when I wanted a credit for some new take-offs or something, but hard to beat Tire Rack.

Last year I bought the X3 wheel/tire package right when my wife was in the hospital critical care unit hanging by a thread. First lost a mounting ring -- my own fault. New set of four cheerfully sent to me immediately at no cost. Then pangs of buyer's remorse -- why ditch these perfectly good ///M wheels that came on the car anyway -- and contacted TR customer service. Changed your mind, sir? No problem -- send 'em back for a full refund less shipping. I decided to keep them but was impressed.
Thanks LMC. I didn't know about the situation with your wife, I hope things have worked out for her.

Sounds like the customer service is excellent with Tirerack. I'm searching for the right local installer now on their list but I know I'll definitely order from Tirerack.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Shikara View Post
not too many choices....
I know, and it's by design. I've done the easy work and scratched off the ones I'm not interested in but have been struggling with chosing between the top 2.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i Sport
Quote:

1. Good dry traction
2. Durability/Longevity
3. Low noise

With little rain here in Arizona, wet traction is not a priority and I never track the car so ultimate performance is not a criteria.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 which would run about $1300 installed or the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric which would run about $1050 installed.

Please let me know what you think. The F1 A's seem like the logical choice but I've also heard that they wear out sooner. If the PS2's will get me 25K miles and the F1's 20K then I might lean towards the Michelin.

Thanks for any help.
So what did you decide?? I'm considering the Goodyear's. I should have chosen summer tires to replace my OE Dunlop Sport 01 RFT's. Instead I tried the highly touted Bridgestone Potenza 960AS Pole Position's and after almost three weeks of driving I'm not happy at all. Bridgestone is allowing me to return them for credit on new tires.

Last edited by bmrboy2008; 06-17-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrboy2008 View Post
So what did you decide?? I'm considering the Goodyear's. I should have chosen summer tires to replace my OE Dunlop Sport 01 RFT's. Instead I tried the highly touted Bridgestone Potenza 960AS Pole Position's and after almost three weeks of driving I'm not happy at all. Bridgestone is allowing me to return them for credit on new tires.
Going with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics. The difference between them and the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s seems slight. If the PS2s are better it isn't by much. But the price for 4 tires will be about $250 - 300 cheaper on the Goodyears and since I'm changing tires about every 20K miles I'll pocket that difference and maybe give the PS2's a run in 3 years. We'll see.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:41 PM
SUPPORTING VENDOR

Mein Auto: 07' E90 and 95' E36 M3x2
Quote:

1. Good dry traction
2. Durability/Longevity
3. Low noise

Thanks for any help.
The goodyear will outlast the michelin in this poll because the PS2 is an all out high performance tire. You want value from those two brands? NEVER, its unheard of with Michelin and Goodyear. You will pay top dollar for those tires.

I don't see how the Goodyear could get 20k compared to the michelin 25k. I still think the goodyear would outlast the michelin.

Me personally I prefer michelin for it's higher performance.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Going with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics. The difference between them and the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s seems slight. If the PS2s are better it isn't by much. But the price for 4 tires will be about $250 - 300 cheaper on the Goodyears and since I'm changing tires about every 20K miles I'll pocket that difference and maybe give the PS2's a run in 3 years. We'll see.
Please let us know how you like them. I should be getting the Goodyear F1's installed in about a week or so.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Button Pusher

Send a message via AIM to AK Send a message via Yahoo to AK
Mein Auto: '07 335i, '04 4Runner
I have Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics on my car. I've got about ~7K miles on them now. Quite happy with them thus far. I got ~22K miles out of the OEM Bridgestone RE050A runflats, just to compare.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
I have Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics on my car. I've got about ~7K miles on them now. Quite happy with them thus far. I got ~22K miles out of the OEM Bridgestone RE050A runflats, just to compare.
How much mileage do you expect out of the Asymmetrics? I changed my OEM Dunlop RFT's to Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Positions about three weeks ago. The ride seems too floaty for me. They have a 40K mile warranty. I should have bought a summer tire and I'm about ready to return the Bridgestones for the Asymmetrics.

Last edited by bmrboy2008; 06-23-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:32 AM

I'd expect 20,000-25,000 miles from the F1 Asymmetric.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
I have the Goodyear F1 Assym. tires. They are a great tire, with the price difference between it and the PS2, it isn't close for me, go with Goodyear.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi M, Range Rover, 911
I'd save the money and go with the Goodyears.

Unless you are a pro driver I doubt any of us would notice the difference!

2013 550 xi Msport
2005 Range Rover HSE Grey/Grey
2009 MB C 300 4Matic
1997 Porsche 993 C4S Black/Black
2005 Jeep TJ
Old 06-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Confessed Bimmer Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2008 M5
Per Tire Rack test, the Goodyear out performs the PS2, so I'm not sure why some of you think the OP will be trading $ savings for performance by going with the F1s.
E92 335i - 6 Spd [Retired]
E53 X5 4.4i [Retired]
E39 540i [Retired]
Old 07-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Button Pusher

Send a message via AIM to AK Send a message via Yahoo to AK
Mein Auto: '07 335i, '04 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrboy2008 View Post
How much mileage do you expect out of the Asymmetrics? I changed my OEM Dunlop RFT's to Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Positions about three weeks ago. The ride seems too floaty for me. They have a 40K mile warranty. I should have bought a summer tire and I'm about ready to return the Bridgestones for the Asymmetrics.
I really don't know how long they'll last. In a previous life I had a Cadillac CTS-V which came with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar runflats. Those tires were worn down to the cords in only 8500 miles (!!!). That was probably a fluke, though. Since the F1 Asymmetric is a newer model tire, I don't think we have enough field data to guess how long they'll last. If I get less than 20K miles out of them I'll probably be a little disappointed. I got a good deal on them from Tire Rack (they were on sale, plus rebates from Goodyear and BMWCCA knocked about $90 more off the total). I think I got all 4 for <$900, including installation at a local Big O.

One of my friends recently put Sumitomo HTRZ-III tires on his 335i. Those tires are very well reviewed and downright cheap. I'll be monitoring his feedback closely. Until then, I'm happy with the F1 Asymmetrics and their all-around great performance and lack of noise.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
The F1 Asymmetrics have been on the car for over a month now and....

With the Goodyear rebate I ended up paying about $930 total with installation and tax for the set of four. I consider that a very good deal for such a good tire.

Don't know how they'll wear and how long they'll last but so far they are giving me a great ride.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:02 PM

Had my first experiences driving in the rain a few weeks ago on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics and they did great. Aside from being responsibly cautious in the wet weather I didn't change my driving style at all. The tires held great.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
The Goodyears are great tires. They are very quiet for the first 8-9k miles then become average in noise, not quiet anymore. I noticed this when changing from snow tires. Before they were very quiet, now just a little quieter than the snow tires.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:18 PM

Just an update - I now have about 9K miles on the Goodyears and they're doing great. Haven't noticed any increase in road noise either.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:37 PM
*rh Cdrh*

Mein Auto: 08 M5 e36 M3 gt40 877hp
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

****************** __________________------====http://bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)====--------__________________