Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Elected by grace

Mein Auto: 1 M; '11 328iT; 08 R32
168 hours of Le Mans

Picked up the ZHP replacement and drove it for a week up and down Deutschland before returning it to Munich for drop-off.

Most pertinent comment afterwards............"What ZHP?"

Highs:

Engine - gobs of power and torque at all levels in the band; can run around in 3rd gear all the live-long-day; no detectable lag as I'd originally feared

Shifter - can't believe this is a BMW; 'snick', and you're in the gear you sought; no more wandering, hoping and praying you found the right gateway; a true revelation and milestone for BMW in my opinion

M Sport Package - Type 261 wheels are gorgeous and easy to clean (well, not as easy as the 264's, but certainly than the 135's that adorn the ZHP); anthracite headliner is a lovely thing to behold

Brakes - whoa you up as well as the R32's

Size - ZHP is a leviathan compared to this einser reihe, even though weight is virtually identical; reminds me so much of the E30 318is, but with power that only that model could dream about

Exhaust - not quite as throaty as the R32's, but has a nice tone all its own

Le Mans blue paint - totally enamored about the depth and richness of this color (always have been); shines like a bright sapphire stone in the sun, and in the dark takes on more subdued tone

Lemon leather - great contrast to the LMB paint; two tone feature ROCKS; already proven to be a PITA to keep clean though; must always keep leather wipes within arms reach

Lows:

RFT's - hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em; too stiff such that you they mute roadfeel; real performance rubber will be first mod along with compressor and dyna plug kit

Suspension - oft noted understeer is all too obvious; ZHP is more neutral; +1 fitment and real tires should dial some of it out; down the road Performance Suspension should help too; Quaife type LSD way down the road mod

Leather - Boston leather will be a pain to maintain; at first blush does not appear to be as durable as the leather on the ZHP

Guzzler - fun spinning the needles, but as they go up you can see the fuel gauge go down concomitantly; if that's the cost of fun I'll live with it regardless of the price of gas

Those are the immediate comments anyway. Once I get it back and have a chance to live with it on a daily basis I'm sure I'll have more to sing about or rag on it.

As for now, can't wait to get it back in my hands again.

How fun is this car? I only snapped a few crummy pics of it, and none after I left 'Da Welt'. The rest of the time was spent with a SAG putting on 1340 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010445.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	189415   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010449.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	189416  

Last edited by IndyMike; 06-14-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to JJ3699
Mein Auto: 2003 325i
I use to think the 1 series was the ugliest thing in the world and BMW was on crack for putting it into production.
And figured well into my 30's I would remain a 3 series man

But as I have seen more pictures of them (ie: your car and the 4 college kids thread) I'm starting to change my tune
it kind of resembles the E46 M3

Also is the gas mileage really that bad???

.................BMW 4 LIFE.....................
Old 06-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Elected by grace

I know what you mean about warming up to its looks.

At first I wasn't too keen on it myself. But once I drove it looks became secondary to me.

And as time has gone by I now think it's the best example of flame surfacing that this marque has been able to generate.

I love the 3/4 picture that displays it's chiseled, well sculpted, muscular, aggressive stance. Loads of people note the sow belly, or guppy look of the sides. But what other people think doesn't bother me.

I agree that it does look more like an E46. That may be another attraction for me, as I had 3 variants of that model.

As far as fuel efficiency it's probably relative. With the ZHP I was getting about 25mpg, whereas with the 135 during this short stint it was more like 18.5. I think once the engine really breaks in I should be able to average about 20 which is acceptable to me.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to JJ3699
Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post

As far as fuel efficiency it's probably relative. With the ZHP I was getting about 25mpg, whereas with the 135 during this short stint it was more like 18.5. I think once the engine really breaks in I should be able to average about 20 which is acceptable to me.
And once you calm down that should help as well
I know when I first got my 3 series i was owning every twisty road I could find and that was in 325i so i can imagine what kind of fun you are having

And doing that I was averaging around 18 or 19 as well... but now that I have had the car for while I have calmed down and getting around 27

.................BMW 4 LIFE.....................
Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ3699 View Post
And once you calm down that should help as well
I know when I first got my 3 series i was owning every twisty road I could find and that was in 325i so i can imagine what kind of fun you are having

And doing that I was averaging around 18 or 19 as well... but now that I have had the car for while I have calmed down and getting around 27
I averaged 24.1 MPG over 600 miles in Bavarian and Austrian driving. That included a multiple runs up to 100 MPH on the Autobahns, city traffic in Munich, and driving behind trucks on twisty narrow mountain roads.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:55 PM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
I've had a ZHP for 4 years and 335i for 2 years - averaging just under 18mpg in both cars (same driving conditions).

The only difference is how much faster I was going in the 335i.

I think your 1 should do right by you from this perspective, just give it a little time.

(And throw those runflats as far as you can - or perhaps store them and put them back on the car come resale time).

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Old 06-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
And throw those runflats as far as you can - or perhaps store them and put them back on the car come resale time.
Thanks for the advice, adc. I plan on trading up at my local tire store most likely for Asymmetrics.

Sorry we lost you to the M3 on this go around. Maybe we can hook you when the Super Sport or some such hopefully lighter variant comes out.

I'll be back in the que myself should that come about.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:43 PM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Sorry we lost you to the M3 on this go around. Maybe we can hook you when the Super Sport or some such hopefully lighter variant comes out.
If they bring out the Super Sport done right (weight reduction, suspension, non-runflats and limited slip) then I'll be lining up for sure. Even if it's next year - it's the car I've always wanted.

But in the meantime, I'll just try to make that M3 work for a living...

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Old 06-17-2009, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: car
nice share.... thanks for the post...