Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-14-2009, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Acura RDX
Unhappy [2009] 328xi COUPE vs SEDAN

If you've seen my last post, I've chosen the BMW 3 over the Lexus IS250 (yay for me)
Now, it's a matter of whether I'm getting a coupe or a sedan. Personally, I like the coupe better because...I'm 20. But my dad is thinking otherwise and wants to get me the sedan instead. I love the coupe's face, but I also like the side view of the shape of the sedan. If it was still the same design as the 2008 model, I'd definitely choose the sedan no questions asked, but I'm not really fond of the new hood lines on the 2009 model.

I checked the BMW website and compared the two (2009 coupe and sedan), and basically there's no differences in any features at all except the coupe have just one or two more small features than the sedan, and also bigger rims. Now I want to hear it from the pros (you guys) on each model.

Please give me any insight on both of the models whether it's from your own experience with either one, or what you've heard about them. For starters, I know that the sedan is cheaper, and the coupe will probably mean higher insurance? Thanks in advance

Last edited by reyoasian; 06-14-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Some of the colors you can only get with either or. i.e. you can only get red leather in a coupe and true you can only get bigger rims with the coupe
Are you going to haul a lot of people? The sedan will be easier for that...

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 06-14-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyoasian View Post
If you've seen my last post, I've chosen the BMW 3 over the Lexus IS250 (yay for me)
Now, it's a matter of whether I'm getting a coupe or a sedan. Personally, I like the coupe better because...I'm 20. But my dad is thinking otherwise and wants to get me the sedan instead. I love the coupe's face, but I also like the side view of the shape of the sedan. If it was 2008 model, I'd choose the sedan myself, but I'm not really fond of the new hood lines on the 2009 model.

I checked the BMW website and compared the two (2009 coupe and sedan), and basically there's no differences in any features at all except the coupe have just one or two more small features than the sedan, and also bigger rims. Now I want to hear it from the pros (you guys) on each model.

Please give me any insight on both of the models whether it's from your own experience with either one, or what you've heard about them. For starters, I know that the sedan is cheaper, and the coupe will probably mean higher insurance? Thanks in advance
Well, it sounds like you've made up your mind here. If you're not fond of the hood on the sedan, it could grow on you?? But why get something that you don't like?

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 06-14-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
Some of the colors you can only get with either or. i.e. you can only get red leather in a coupe and true you can only get bigger rims with the coupe
Are you going to haul a lot of people? The sedan will be easier for that...
Well I'm not worrying about colour since I'm for sure going to get black interior and probably white exterior. Hauling people isn't necessary but yes it would be easier with a sedan but it will be a mainly full-time 2-people car for me and my girlfriend. I think it's just the idea of me driving a coupe that scares my dad, since I'm not really much of a "safe" driver in his POV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
Well, it sounds like you've made up your mind here. If you're not fond of the hood on the sedan, it could grow on you?? But why get something that you don't like?
Because it's not my choice =\ And it's not that I don't like the sedan, it's just not AS appealing to me as the coupe. Let me put it this way, front view I like the coupe better, side view I like the sedan better...........yeah, pretty frustrating.

I'm really fine with either one here, but I just want to get some insights and advices from owners of either model on anything good about it that differs it from the other model.

Last edited by reyoasian; 06-14-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
I have the coupe. 'Love it. A little lighter, lower, and quicker. Still quite practical for a daily driver. No problem for reasonably fit people getting in and out of the rear and still plenty of room back there. Note that is is a four seater. No way to take five people. Rear seats fold down (I think that's standard, but check) and you can carry a decent sized item in the back as a result. No problem with a road bike or fairly big box. The most significant difference is in aesthetics and, in general, people find the coupe stands out a bit more. But they're both beautiful cars.

Insurance will be higher with the coupe but, overall, insurance tends to drop when going to a BMW so this may offset and your insurance may not change that much.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 06-14-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I have the coupe. 'Love it. A little lighter, lower, and quicker.
Quicker? Is that because it weighs a little less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.CA
.........................................Coupe................Sedan
Curb weight, (auto, kg).........1645...................1655
Max. payload (kg).................400.....................460
Luggage capacity (L)............440.....................460
10 KG different doesn't seem THAT big of a deal...but 20L difference in luggage capacity seems a little big to me =\

Last edited by reyoasian; 06-14-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Quicker? Is that because it weighs a little less?
Its missing 2 doors!

You may want to test drive both the sedan and the coupe to see which one feels better for you!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Gooble Goobledygoook

Mein Auto: 08 335xi E92
Quote:
I think it's just the idea of me driving a coupe that scares my dad, since I'm not really much of a "safe" driver in his POV.
The key question seems to be: why exactly does your father think driving a coupe is more dangerous than a sedan? Does he think you'll get more invitations to street-race if you're in a coupe and you'll accept those invitations? Did you ask him why?
Old 06-14-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuTurkey View Post
The key question seems to be: why exactly does your father think driving a coupe is more dangerous than a sedan? Does he think you'll get more invitations to street-race if you're in a coupe and you'll accept those invitations? Did you ask him why?
Because in his world, I'm a reckless driver, and if I'm sitting in a more "sporty" car I'll be more tempted to drive "recklessly". Of course I denied it to him, but I know that he's probably right.. =P

Last edited by reyoasian; 06-14-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
Actually, your dad IS probably right. So now the question comes back to you... are you responsible enough to handle either car? (I'm betting you are, but only you know you.)

Of course, you'll be tempted with any BMW. No BMW sedan is a slouch.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 06-14-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Actually, your dad IS probably right. So now the question comes back to you... are you responsible enough to handle either car? (I'm betting you are, but only you know you.)

I'm responsible, but even the most responsible person can get tempted. I still remember when I first started driving....and also when I first got my RDX....and now I'm getting a BMW... I have to say there WILL be at least a "short" period of time after I first get it that I'll be whippin' that thing pretty hard. Afterall, I AM only 20
Old 06-14-2009, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi Sedan - Silver
Sedans are awfully handy to have - easy to stash stuff in the back without constantly moving the front seat. I think you'll grow to love that mug!!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: '09 Accord Coupe LX-S
Quote:
Insurance will be higher with the coupe but, overall, insurance tends to drop when going to a BMW so this may offset and your insurance may not change that much.
I'm not sure I understand how insurance drops going to a BMW? Anyway I'm confused on that.

Quote:

Quote:
I'm responsible, but even the most responsible person can get tempted. I still remember when I first started driving....and also when I first got my RDX....and now I'm getting a BMW... I have to say there WILL be at least a "short" period of time after I first get it that I'll be whippin' that thing pretty hard. Afterall, I AM only 20
Whether you're in a Cp or Sedan, they're both gonna feel mighty fast At least the sedan did for me (and I'm 20 as well). But, our age doesn't justify stupidity with an automobile (no age does). I admit I pushed my car to it's limits (when there's the least possible chance of danger) and I've found it, and I don't need to revisit those limits all the time.

Anyway, my 2cents is, go with the coupe if financials allow for it. I definitely turned a lot of people's heads with my car, but I think the Cp just has that extra feeling of sexy to it. If you're like me, you want to keep your car to a 2 extra-passenger maximum , so having 4 doors doesn't become that much of a problem. My sedan came in handy because I was hauling stuff from home -> college, otherwise I could do with 2 doors. At least this way xenons are standard.

About rims: E92 ZSP rims seem like a real PITA to clean (look at Professor's pic with his microfiber cloth ), while E90 rims are relatively easy to manage. I, personally, really hate the new side-mirrors on the '09 E90, they look all chunky like the IS250, the pre-LCI E90 and E92's have very sleeky/swept-back mirrors.

Besides... only coupes use the angel-eyes as DRLs

EDIT: ^in '09 both sedans & coupes have angel-eye DRL; my mistake.

2007 328i E90 - Jet Black|Black Leatherette|Aluminum|Sports|Steptronic|Memory Seats - 5/07-3/09

Last edited by stompdx; 06-15-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Cmon you're 20, you should not be in anything except for a coupe. Besides the performance for a coupe and sedan are basically the same. If you're gonna race with the coupe, chances are a sedan probably isn't gonna stop you either. Besides with a coupe there's a better likelihood that your friends wont' be asking you for a ride all the time since it's a fairly tight squeeze in the back .
Old 06-14-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompdx View Post
I'm not sure I understand how insurance drops going to a BMW? Anyway I'm confused on that.

Whether you're in a Cp or Sedan, they're both gonna feel mighty fast At least the sedan did for me (and I'm 20 as well). But, our age doesn't justify stupidity with an automobile (no age does). I admit I pushed my car to it's limits (when there's the least possible chance of danger) and I've found it, and I don't need to revisit those limits all the time.

Anyway, my 2cents is, go with the coupe if financials allow for it. I definitely turned a lot of people's heads with my car, but I think the Cp just has that extra feeling of sexy to it. If you're like me, you want to keep your car to a 2 extra-passenger maximum , so having 4 doors doesn't become that much of a problem. My sedan came in handy because I was hauling stuff from home -> college, otherwise I could do with 2 doors. At least this way xenons are standard.

About rims: E92 ZSP rims seem like a real PITA to clean (look at Professor's pic with his microfiber cloth ), while E90 rims are relatively easy to manage. I, personally, really hate the new side-mirrors on the '09 E90, they look all chunky like the IS250, the pre-LCI E90 and E92's have very sleeky/swept-back mirrors.

I think it's because with better cars, safety features are higher which brings the insurance down. But also will be expensive to fix which should bring the insurance up. I really don't know, guess I gotta check with my insurance company. But it's true that nowadays, a lot of people pay the same insurance on a coupe as they would on a sedan.

Also, one problem I'm thinking about with the coupe is like you mentioned, less cargo space and more difficulty in getting stuff in/out of back seats. Financially wouldn't be a problem or I wouldn't be getting a BMW at all, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas76 View Post
Cmon you're 20, you should not be in anything except for a coupe. Besides the performance for a coupe and sedan are basically the same. If you're gonna race with the coupe, chances are a sedan probably isn't gonna stop you either. Besides with a coupe there's a better likelihood that your friends wont' be asking you for a ride all the time since it's a fairly tight squeeze in the back .
I'm a fairly safe driver. I step on the pedal lightly and evenly, and I use my car purely for commuting and going to places, racing was never and never will be in the list of my car-activities. Also, I don't believe young always means coupe, because most of the time a young person wouldn't be able to afford it unless they got some funding from parents, and personally I like big SUV's but because gas prices are so expensive and I don't want to be "the carpool guy", I want to change to a smaller car. Like you said though, coupe = less people asking for rides because they know they will be squished.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Jaguar
I prefer the sedan, but will not say why
Old 06-14-2009, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Jaguar
Quote:

Old 06-14-2009, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: '14 335i 6MT
Quote:
Beginning in 2009 all sedans and the wagon got angel-eye DRLs as well.

09.16.13 European Delivery

Past:
2011 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)
2010 135i Vert 6MT (ED)
2007 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)

2006 325i Sedan 6MT
Old 06-15-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwac View Post
Beginning in 2009 all sedans and the wagon got angel-eye DRLs as well.
Sorry, my mistake.

2007 328i E90 - Jet Black|Black Leatherette|Aluminum|Sports|Steptronic|Memory Seats - 5/07-3/09

Last edited by stompdx; 06-15-2009 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 Saloon
I be grateful for either one if my dad was buying me a new Bimmer at 20. My .02

ED - 5.14.10
ED Drop off - 5.22.10
Car arrived in Brunswick, GA - 6.21.10
Released from Customs - 6.25.10
PCD Redelivery - 7.12.10

Picking up the car at the Welt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Ulzi58u6I
My 140MPH A92 run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRej5VEQpmc

ED May 14, 2010
Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Because in his world, I'm a reckless driver, and if I'm sitting in a more "sporty" car I'll be more tempted to drive "recklessly". Of course I denied it to him, but I know that he's probably right.. =P
Your dad is wrong - you'll be equally reckless in either car, as from the driver's seat there is little difference. I'm thinking a Prius is the only cure.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 06-15-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Your dad is wrong - you'll be equally reckless in either car, as from the driver's seat there is little difference. I'm thinking a Prius is the only cure.
No, I know he's right. I'm not saying I won't be reckless in the E90, but I definitely will be MORE reckless in the E92 than an E90..... I'm young, and young people are dumb.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
No, I know he's right. I'm not saying I won't be reckless in the E90, but I definitely will be MORE reckless in the E92 than an E90..... I'm young, and young people are dumb.
Don't include me in that

I think of it this way... my BMW is my baby, I do something stupid, it gets hurt... and then no one has a happy day.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i sedan
sedan... its what i went with

coupe doesn't have oyster interior and your car is outdated as soon as the redesigned coupe model comes out
Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09335iMT View Post
sedan... its what i went with

coupe doesn't have oyster interior and your car is outdated as soon as the redesigned coupe model comes out
I only like the standard black interior or the silver trim from sports package =\ Others are all ugly to my eyes.

I don't really care about outdated though, deep inside, I really wish I can get my hands on a brand new E90 without the LCI =\