Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Indeed, that's a given.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
Attitude. If you are stopped be polite and don't be a jerk. It's been my experience that most people ended up talking themselves INTO a ticket. There is no magic formula.

Don't forget--the PO still has to convince the judge that it was unreasonable. Judges drive the same roads we do so they know that roadway traffic in certain areas and on certain roads normally drive at 5-10 mph over the posted speed. Ever seen the cars that most judges are driving? Do you really think that Porche/MBenz/BMW that the judge just put into the court parking lot in has never exceeded the speed limit? :-) If you are 10 mph over the limit but zipping in and out of traffic, operating aggressively or recklessly then be prepared to draw attention to yourself.

Blend folks...stay out of trouble.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Pok Gai 1.0

Mein Auto: '09 E92 335i M-Sport
remember when your speedo says 70, you are most likely only doing about 67-68 or so
Old 06-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
It depends on luck but I drive on I-4 quite a bit and you can get away with 80. On the Florida turnpike and I-75 they'll run over you at 80. I wasn't going to post this because I was embarrassed but here goes. I was driving on a rural road in central Florida with a speed limit of 50 and a double yellow line all the way. There were no cars anywhere except a car going 30 mph followed by a van followed by me. The van eventually passed the car and so I decided to floor my 135 and shot around the car probably going 90 then slowed down to about 60. The next thing I saw was the police car with his lights on. When the officer came up to the window the 1st thing I said was "I'm guilty". I also said I shouldn't have passed on the double yellow line and that the reason I did it was because the van in front of me did it but that was no excuse. I said I haven't been pulled over in at least 25 years and my wife chimed in saying it was our anniversary. He took my licence and registration saying nothing and went back to his car. We debated how much the fine would be or if he would take me to jail. Shortly he came back and gave me my licence and registration back and said "have a nice day". No ticket, no warning. It is impossible to know why he let me go but it could have to do with my attitude and the fact I didn't have a radar detector which I almost bought the week before. I'd say it was a miracle.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Old 06-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamshi View Post
Hello everyone!!!!...

Sometimes I feel like I am not fully using the hp my car has.....I dont even realize when I cross the 70 mph speed from 40....

Recently bought and started to drive my car on decent Tampa roads....I am just wondering at what days/times you can least expect the cops??..............not necessarily about Tampa but in general

what do u guys think is a safer speed above the speed limit??.....and at what speed u got a ticket??......

My understanding is speed limit +or - 10 mph....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
Cop once told me:

8 you're great; 9 you're mine.
hmmm.....I've lived by exactly 9 over in town for more years than I care to admit and I've never gotten a ticket at that speed, even when I've driven right past a copper. 10 over has always been the point where I've gotten a ticket on city streets.

On the DFW metroplex freeways my standard speed is 74 mph and again I've never been ticketed at that speed. 75 mph is the ticket point. I have a friend who is a Fort Worth cop and he's the one who told me that over 74 was pretty much the universal cutoff in the Metroplex. At 74 mph I pass 99.2% of the cars of the freeway.

On the interstate where the limit is 75 mph I do 78. In Texas they'll only give 4 mph over on the interstate. 5 mph over and they'll get ya. The Texas DPS/highway patrol has VERY accurate speed detection devices. I'm sure you can guess how I know.

At this point in my life I could teach the defensive driving course. I take it every one or two years. I had a multi-ticket year a couple of years ago, so I now have one ticket on my record. I usually look at getting a ticket as a way to keep my insurance low by taking DD to get it dismissed.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi Sedan
There is no such thing as a "safe" speed above the limit that will potentially get you out of a ticket. Remember, any speed above the legal limit is against the "law" and the cops are authorized to write you a ticket. Of course, you can always dispute it later in court, but thats another subject. Anyways, my 2 cent of the day is DO NOT SPEED. I know it sucks, but thats life, who knows when you might run into a hardass cop right?

PS. if you're a hot girl then forget what I said
Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mylou123 View Post
There is no such thing as a "safe" speed above the limit that will potentially get you out of a ticket. Remember, any speed above the legal limit is against the "law" and the cops are authorized to write you a ticket. Of course, you can always dispute it later in court, but thats another subject. Anyways, my 2 cent of the day is DO NOT SPEED. I know it sucks, but thats life, who knows when you might run into a hardass cop right?

PS. if you're a hot girl then forget what I said

Wow. I think you should turn in your 335. Defensive driving is for those days when you run in to a cop.

Please tell me you don't drive in the left lane.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 06-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Feverish Fanatic

Mein Auto: E90 330i (F22 M235i soon)
Just stay with the fastest traffic, and importantly, don't speed alone (try to be amongst a pack of cars). Having cars ahead is like an early warning system when you see their brake lights light up. Also, slow down a bit when cresting a hill or when a bridge comes into view so you don't get surprised. Cloudy skies = no police planes or they'll have to fly low so you'll either see or hear them if you're paying attention. Learn to recognize police interceptors at a glance, both at night and during the day. And of course, always be vigilant in scanning for cops hiding far ahead, coming into the highway from the onramps, or hidden in the cars you're passing.

One of the best articles on this topic is "TEN BEST TIPS FOR FEARLESS FLYING", from Car and Driver Magazine in January 1991. It's as relevant now as it was then Google for it.

Last edited by PCStuff; 06-15-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Wow. I think you should turn in your 335. Defensive driving is for those days when you run in to a cop.

Please tell me you don't drive in the left lane.
lol, well I'm really careful when I'm driving now because I've had bad experiences with speeding so I may be a bit biased towards this issue. Anyways, my point was, if anyone feels the urge to speed by all means do so. But keep in mind, you are giving the cop a reason to pull you over and write you a big fat ticket. Now if you think that is a risk worth taking then by all means. You never know when you might run into a cop and even those little gadgets that supposedely detects radar guns miles away are unreliable most of time. Personally, I like to play it safe and stick within the speed limit. Of course, when I'm at the track...then thats a different story and that is the primary reason why I bought a 335i. It can be used as a track car, and also be practical enough to use as a DD

Last edited by skip2mylou123; 06-15-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif65GM View Post
LOL In Cali on the 70 mph freeways, 20+ would be doing 90. I'd think most CHPs would be pulling someone over for doing 90. Of course on our bimmer speedometers, that's really closer to 87 or 88, so he might get lucky and be written up for 85 only.

I set my CC on 81 or 82, so right about 78-79mph.
I realized that BMW speedometers are not accurate when I made my first road trip this weekend. My GPS showed that what the speedo stated was usually 4 mph slower than the GPS.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyshopnh View Post
Attitude. If you are stopped be polite and don't be a jerk. It's been my experience that most people ended up talking themselves INTO a ticket. There is no magic formula.

Don't forget--the PO still has to convince the judge that it was unreasonable. Judges drive the same roads we do so they know that roadway traffic in certain areas and on certain roads normally drive at 5-10 mph over the posted speed. Ever seen the cars that most judges are driving? Do you really think that Porche/MBenz/BMW that the judge just put into the court parking lot in has never exceeded the speed limit? :-) If you are 10 mph over the limit but zipping in and out of traffic, operating aggressively or recklessly then be prepared to draw attention to yourself.

Blend folks...stay out of trouble.
in NYC? i think not. the "judge" is a lawyer working for the TVB. you can bet they will side with the agency that signs their paychecks, not you because they sympathize with your common need for speed with them. the PO doesn't have to convince the judge its unreasonable, they just need to say you were going over the speed limit and you are pretty much done. I've been in NYC TVB before with a lawyer, i watched every person come up and try to plead either an excuse, or "i was going with the flow of traffic", or "i have a good record:. guilty, guilty and guilty. no points reductions, just guilty.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 06-15-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 Accord Coupe LX-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCStuff View Post
Just stay with the fastest traffic, and importantly, don't speed alone (try to be amongst a pack of cars). Having cars ahead is like an early warning system when you see their brake lights light up. Also, slow down a bit when cresting a hill or when a bridge comes into view so you don't get surprised. Cloudy skies = no police planes or they'll have to fly low so you'll either see or hear them if you're paying attention. Learn to recognize police interceptors at a glance, both at night and during the day. And of course, always be vigilant in scanning for cops hiding far ahead, coming into the highway from the onramps, or hidden in the cars you're passing.

One of the best articles on this topic is "TEN BEST TIPS FOR FEARLESS FLYING", from Car and Driver Magazine in January 1991. It's as relevant now as it was then Google for it.
Good advice all stuff my dad taught me. As much as I like 'leading a pack,' I try to keep someone in front of me with some distance. This way I can hopefully pick up some scattered Ka waves.
During the night time (Turnpike/I75) I drive with my hi-beams on (assuming no oncoming traffic), hoping for it to reflect off a possible cop hiding away.

On some parts of the road, the North and South-bound highway split, with some bushes in the middle (a great place for hiding cops), and I usually slow down to the Speedlimit+5mph just until I get to the clear.

Use your better judgement always Speeding isn't worth it if you're going to get tickets or cause danger.

2007 328i E90 - Jet Black|Black Leatherette|Aluminum|Sports|Steptronic|Memory Seats - 5/07-3/09
Old 06-15-2009, 11:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
One word one number.... Valentine 1
Old 06-16-2009, 04:44 AM

Mein Auto: '09 335xi Coupe
If the police car is moving, especially in the left lane, its probably not a good idea to pass it.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 AM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
My speedometer reads 3.5 mph higher than actual.

On interstates during the day, if there's not much traffic, I take the speed limit and add 12 to it and use that as my goal speedometer reading which puts me at 8 to 9 mph over. At night without much traffic, I'll go 4 mph over. In the back roads, 4 mph over.

I recently got a ticket for doing 80 in a 65 zone. It was a sheriff, not a trooper.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 06-16-2009, 05:24 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
My morning drive from midtown Atlanta to the northwest perimeter area (Marietta) is posted 55mph the entire way. I put my cruise on 75mph and stay in the lane next to the passing lane with very little worries. They are looking for 80+ and in addition, due to the speedometer error, I'm probably only going 71-72. There are plenty of people driving like they just stole the riced out Honda they're driving at 85 so I just let them through to flush out any cops. Patrol seems to be in waves. It's been a while since there have been any speed traps but I'm sure they'll show up again later this month. Once you know where they camp out it's pretty easy to avoid any hassles.

If I'm driving on a long trip with 65mph - 70mph limits I usually put the cruise at +10mph of whatever is posted until I hit small towns where I'll do the speed limit.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:41 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Each cop is different. I once got a ticket for driving ONE mile over the speed limit. Yes it happend (in rural area of PA).

The judge dropped the ticket.

I've also been stopped for doing 25+ over the limit but the cop let me go (I had my ARMY t-shirt on).

I had another time where I was stopped but the cop let me go because I had an FOP sticker on my car (my parents donate money, cook for on holidays and do charity work for the police association which brings them in contact with the chief of police and they've become friends over the years).

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:47 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca93 View Post
One word one number.... Valentine 1

I never fully understood the point of using a radar detector:

The PO aims at you, your Valentine alerts you of that fact, you slow down/ hit the break, but the PO already has a reading of your speed before you altered it and now he sees you slowing down, so he knows you have a detector. What's the point?

A jammer, that's a different story but they are not legal in most states.

Last edited by octopump; 06-16-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:39 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I never fully understood the point of using a radar detector:

The PO aims at you, your Valentine alerts you of that fact, you slow down/ hit the break, but the PO already has a reading of your speed before you altered it and now he sees you slowing down, so he knows you have a detector. What's the point?

A jammer, that's a different story but they are not legal in most states.
Many states use radar still and the V1 gives you sufficient warning in advance. VA only uses radar for example, so having it provides a huge advantage to any officer parked in the centre crossover or worse, moving radar (the cop gets your reading just by driving by).
Old 06-16-2009, 06:48 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Reading your explanation, it made me realize I don't actually know how a radar works.

So is it that the detector senses the radar waves but it doesn't mean that those waves are actually being used on your car in particular?

And that's how you can slow down right away and still get away with it?

Admittedly, this wouldn't work with Laser since it's pointed at your car in particular, correct?

Last edited by octopump; 06-16-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCStuff View Post
[...]

That was a fun read and it made me think of BJ right away!

Speeding-ticket headaches? Dr. Bigone has just the medicine for you.

by Dr. Umberto Bigone

Umberto Bigone (bee-GO-nay) ranks as one of the world's most enthusiastic motorists. At home here in Europe, or even in Canada, Dr. Bigone's license is pristine and points-free, which is to say clean, making him, statistically at least, a paragon of law-abiding propriety, a status he has enjoyed for decades.
How, we asked Dr. Bigone, can he drive so rapidamente so regularly, while for the rest of us it's all we can do to keep our points total below the license-threatening redline? Generously, he has consented to share with us his ten best tips for flying on the highway without fear. Of cops. These tips are, most of them, methods we here at Car and Driver are well acquainted with, but Dr. Bigone's unique presentation conveys them concisely and in one highly entertaining and easy-to-use package.

I, Dr. Umberto Bigone, lover of high velocity vehicles and of using them in the manner that God intended, share for the first time with my fellow enthusiasts knowledge gained over decades of experience on heavily patrolled highways of the nation and the world. I do this free of charge, though the evolution of my secrets came in small, incremental, often expensive steps as new situations, new equipment, and new measurement techniques caused my original Golden Rule ("Watch Your Rear-View Mirror' ) to blossom into the Ten Best Ways.
As in all offers American, a disclaimer is called for: if, after you learn these rules, you are apprehended, please do not attempt to call me and threaten legal action. Remember that advice may be worth no more than what you paid for it ( nothing in this instance) and that Dr. Bigone's special remedy cannot eliminate the risk of apprehension, though my tips can and do dramatically reduce such risk.

RULE 1: SELECT PROPER EQUIPMENT

You cannot hope to speed with impunity without proper equipment. The best radar detector money can buy is a mandatory investment. But there is more: think about the car itself. A bright red Ferrari F40 or Lamborghini Diablo, and a bespoilered and fat-tired Mustang GT are "ticket magnets". A nondescript Ford Aerostar, in mouse-gray- metallic, or a powder-blue generic U.S. sedan, are largely ticket-proof. It is sad, but the more overtly your vehicle displays the intent for high-speed use, the less it will be capable of doing so. Perhaps this fact explains why, in a presumably Darwinian evolution, Corvette drivers have become slower and slower, to the point of now being tragic but amusing mobile chicanes. The answer to driving fast without resorting to a dull automobile is the sports sedan, and fine examples abound, ranging from the Infiniti Q45 to the Taurus SHO and the Dodge Sprint R/T. If ordered in other than "Arrest-Me-Red", the modern sports sedan will provide many more miles of hassle free motoring at far greater speeds than a more "overt" vehicle. All cars may look the same to a radar gun, but radar is not the only threat, and if you are stopped, the type of vehicle you drive and what it says is about your driving style can be of decisive importance.

RULE 2: RECOGNIZE THE THREAT EARLY

This is a straightforward rule. Believe your detector, even if it gives only a short, uncertain signal. It may well be the dreaded K-band "instant-on" aimed at vehicles ahead of you. How often have I, hurtling down the highway, heard the first plaintative bleat from my Escort, pulled courteously to the right, permitted my close follower (in disregard of Rules 5 and 6) to blast by, only to have him receive a full dose of microwaves seconds later. This is inevitably followed by the offensive sucking-vacuum sound of a large police cruiser rushing past the now sanctimomously-slow Dr. Bigone. The scene ends, so sad, with a display of flashing lights somewhere up ahead. Scanning X-band radar is falling into increasing disuse, and many agencies are resorting to traditional seek-and-pace techniques. Or they may sneak up behind, match your speed, and then, within range, squeeze off a burp of instant-on to lock up the evidence. So sad, yes?
You must learn to recognize "threat" vehicles. Even though the telltale "light bar" is increasingly absent, threat vehicles have some common characteristics they are almost always American, usually full-size Fords, full-size Chevrolets, Mustang GTs, or Plymouth Gran Furys/Dodge Diplomats. Period.

Even without light bars, you should be able to pick out these vehicles at great distances by looking for windshield-pillar mounted spotlights (carefully folded inward) and, more importantly, fat tires. When approaching a suspect vehicle from the rear, look for the above cues plus check the underside for the telltale stabilizer bar, especially on Chevrolets.

If you think you see a well-shod white, ivory, blue, or black Diplomat, Caprice, Mustang, or Crown Vic in your rear-view mirror, slow down! Permit him to come closer for positive identification. The seconds lost are meaningless and quickly regained if the possible threat is found to be benign.

When entering a new state, take a few moments at a local gas pump to learn what types of vehicles and what types of surveillance the indigenous enforcement professionals use. It's time well spent.

RULE 3: MAINTAIN A GOOD DAYTIME SCAN

Daytime threat-avoidance is different from night-avoidance. You see the threat earlier, but he also sees you. (This is where the wisdom of Rule 1 becomes apparent Innocuous cars may pass unnoticed.)
When moving smartly in daylight hours, constantly scan your mirrors and the road ahead for threats. Slow when going through underpasses, for the enforcer may be parked out of sight behind the far-side concrete. Be suspicious of any vehicle parked on the inside or outside shoulder. Slow down until you are sure it is not an enforcer. Check on-ramps as you drive by them. Give a quick look over your right shoulder, all the way to the top of the on-ramp to ensure that it is clean of the authorities. Monitor your rear-view mirror constantly for any sign of unusual activity. Try to remember cars that you pass. If, later, you see what appears to be a possible threat vehicle far behind you and don't remember passing it, slow down for identification. Even if you are reasonably sure you passed it, if that vehicle is now matching your speed (not getting smaller in your rear-view mirror), slow down for positive identification.

Proper daytime scan has saved the author as many as five times per month.

RULE 4: MAINTAIN A GOOD NIGHT SCAN

At night, the radar-silent enforcer is hard to see. The daytime rules of underpass-slowing and on-ramp checking apply, but are more difficult to execute.
The risk of moving up on an enforcer vehicle can be minimized by learning taillights. This is largely a process of elimination: pickups, vans, minivans, and Japanese or European vehicles are not likely to be threats. Nor are Chevettes, Escorts, GM J-bodies, or any front-wheel-drive vehicle. But if it looks large, or has Mustang LX taillights, you must immediately look for folded-in spotlights and/or fat rubber. Tragically, if these items are present, you must slow down, though it might only be an employee of a private security service on his way home. You can't take the chance.

The prime instrument for night driving is the rear-view mirror, and the prime rule is to drive fast enough so that all headlights of passed motorists reduce rapidly in size. Any pair of headlamps that maintains the same size or the same separation between the lamps calls for immediate deceleration pending positive identification.

RULE 5: PRACTICE STEALTH, DECEPTION AND "HIDING"

You can move fast without exposing yourself, because you can usually find a "hare" who is pleased to demonstrate that his car is better than yours. Never attempt to dissuade him: instead, drop back to a safe distance and enjoy the radar shield. Do maintain the rear scan, because threat vehicles coming from behind you are now your responsibility.
Moving in a lane containing Class 8 trucks some distance ahead will also shield your car until you pass the truck. In daylight hours, you may choose to run at times with lights, at times without, hiding yourself in front of a group of trucks when you change illumination. The reason for this is that an enforcer, having "noticed" you from a long distance back, will be looking for a certain as-yet-unidentified vehicle with lights on (or without) as he moves quickly up through traffic. Suddenly, he is in identifiable range of a vehicle similar in size and shape to the one he believes may have been violating, only now the illumination is different from what he saw earlier, thus rendering him unsure. Meanwhile, you, practicing Rule 2 and 3, will have slowed to a quasi-legal speed. This usually draws a perplexed and suspicious look from the officer, but no pull-over order, especially if you have removed your radar detector from the windshield or visor. An integral part of deception and hiding is the placement and removal of the detector. The unit belongs on the windshield or dash directly in front of you so that a following threat vehicle cannot see it. If you were an enforcer, would you not pursue vehicles wherein reside little amber or green blinking lights and kinky power cords, which can be seen from hundreds of feet away? If you believe you have been actually "noticed" by a trailing police vehicle, hide in front of large trucks, accelerate while under cover, and exit any off-ramp or rest area. At this juncture, you have nothing to lose.

Any time you believe that an officer wants to close in on you, remove the detector at once and place it on the seat next to you. If you are in imminent danger being stopped, execute the following emergency procedures in sequence: ( 1) remove detector and jam under seat, (2) wipe off suction cup or other telltale mark with moistened index fingertip, and (3) replace the cigarette lighter! An empty cigarette lighter outlet is a dead giveaway to the officer that he is dealing with a chronic but sly violator. He will treat you accordingly.

RULE 6: BEWARE OF SLOW MOVING "CLUMPS"

Many an otherwise-experienced and skillful motorist gets done in by what I call "clumps." Clumps are largish groups of vehicles covering all available lanes which move at, or close to, the posted limit. Danger lurks, strangely enough, because the vehicles are maintaining a very safe nose-to-tail distance, thus permitting the unsuspecting enthusiast to carefully make his way through. Unfortunately, when he emerges at the front of the clump, he will see a blinding array of flashing lights overwhelming his rearview mirror. Moral: most loose clumps contain at least one enforcer vehicle, one near the front (a marked cruiser) and maybe one near the center, or end, checking for lane-changing and in-and-out weaving. The latter may be unmarked, but knowledge of Rule 2 makes it a dead giveaway. There is no excuse for getting caught in a clump.

RULE 7: BEWARE OF CURVES, CRESTS, AND GRASSY MEDIANS

Instant-on may be placed so that the violator can be "shot" just as he crests a hill, before he has a chance to react. The crest ahead of you may also hide a police vehicle coming in the other direction, radar at the ready. Slow down before crests. It's safer.

RULE 8: AVOID UNPROFESSIONAL AND PROVOCATIVE BEHAVIOUR

The smart motorist does not alienate others. Slow to a moderate speed differential when passing other motorists. (After all, one of those benign-looking minivans may contain an off-duty officer equipped with pen and phone.) It is also good judgement to avoid provocative license plates such as "HI OFCR" or "SPEEDR." If I were an enforcer, I would give no breaks to those bearing the bumper sticker, "How's my driving Call 1-800-EAT-SHlT."

RULE 9: MAINTAIN A HIGH LEVEL OF ATTENTION AT ALL TIMES

Rapid motoring is a serious business incompatible with any simultaneous activity. Women can't conk their hair, males can't shave, and nose-probing is out of the question for both sexes. Caressing the passenger s fine thigh is permissible only while driving at, or near, the posted limit. Marital arguments, discussion of offsprings' grades, negotiations involving business - in person or on a car phone - are all incompatible with Rules 1 through 9. The enthusiast's favourite argument that the skilled, dedicated driver is safe at higher than average speeds holds true only if he is unimpaired and totally focused on the task at hand.

RULE 10: BEHAVE CORRECTLY WHEN STOPPED

Chronic rapid driving will, statistically, get you stopped sooner or later. Observance of Rules 1 through 9 will make it much, much later, but not "never." The consequences of the interception depend mightily on your behaviour.
Do not act blasť. A cocky stance of "Okay, so-you-got-me" is provocative. So is attempting to argue that there must be some terrible mistake, you know you were under the limit. Failure to remove the detector and the suction-cup marks and to replace the cigarette lighter will terribly disappoint the officer.

(It is now, by the way, that you wish you hadn't ordered the Sports Decor Pack," but this is a moot issue.)

Be courteous, candid, and contrite. Trembling while handing over your license demonstrates that this situation is an unusual and terrifying experience for you. It shows respect for the law and fear of punishment. (You'll do this automatically .)

The question, "Do you have any idea how fast you were going?" should be answered with, "Truly, I don't - my mind was wondering." (This is accurate: You were not focusing on Rules 1 through 9!) "But I must have been over the limit or I guess you wouldn't have stopped me." Note that you weren't speeding deliberately - no "late for work" or "catch a plane" excuses! Your attention drifted a bit, that's all, no premeditated criminally was involved!

At this point, the officer may run a computer check on your hopefully uninteresting driving record which, if you have been diligently and consistently been practicing Dr. Bigone s rules, will be point-free! The resultant action may well be (1) a warning, (2) a modest fine not involving points, or (3) some "break" in the reported excess speed, minimizing the points and thus limiting the damage. The author has experienced all of these outcomes.

There you have it! May you drive enjoyably, safely, with low insurance premiums and a good, clean driving record.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:10 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Reading your explanation, it made me realize I don't actually know how a radar works.

So is it that the detector senses the radar waves but it doesn't mean that those waves are actually being used on your car in particular?

Admittedly, this wouldn't work with Laser since it's pointed at your car in particular, correct?
correct... when radar is in use, the nature of it is that the gun spews radio emissions down highway quite a distance. ex, yesterday in boston, my V1 picked up Ka band, getting stronger as i went along. there was a state trooper on the side of the road about a mile away. its about detecting it before it can measure your speed. radar works out decently well because the waves travel fairly far and are not tightly focused. you're basically picking up stray signal. you can tell if there's a highway unit approaching from the rear with its radar on if the signal strength is increasing, approaching a speed trap, same thing, the signal will increase. even instant on can be detected if you pick up the stray signal from someone else getting nailed.

laser is another story. its a directed beam that doesnt travel that far. i've gotten tagged by laser before, basically my V1 went off in time for the officer to wave me over for my ticket. Laser is too directed to be able to pick up stray laser before you're being targeted most of the time.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 06-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:

Yup. The detector is sensitive and can detect radar waves from a fair amount of distance. On flat land, there is usually about 500m of warning time, plenty of time to reduce speed. Of course, there are distractions like automatic door openers (many of which operate on K-band). However, if it goes off with K-band consistently with increasing intensity, it's a good bet that moving radar is up ahead.

If it goes off with Ka-band more than a couple beeps, I immediately reduce speed. Ka is almost always an officer. It's what VA State Police uses and most county enforcement.

I don't live in a state that uses Laser, but yes, its hard to get advance warning of Laser, unless it bounces off some other car.

I use the detector as an added source of info, not as an excuse to speed. I have my own speed limits on roads and detector just keeps me away from revenue-seeking municipalities. The county I was stopped twice in charges a 8% food tax on top of the 5% sales tax. If I choose to do 130km/h on an interstate, its because the traffic, road, visibility, and weather conditions allow me to do so.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 06-16-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Thanks Orient/ AzNMpower32. It all makes sense. I didn't know radar radio waves traveled so far.

Last edited by octopump; 06-16-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 3 Series
safest bet is use your radar detector !!! and prepare to get a police PDA card to show in case you get pulled over