Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-18-2009, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
iPhone 3G (3.0) Voice Memo over bluetooth

I was playing with the Voice Memo today (after updating my firmware to 3.0) on my iPhone 3G in my 07 335i, and I made an interesting discovery. Whenever I play a recorded Voice Memo on the iPhone, it plays through my BMW bluetooth! The nav screen goes to the Dial screen and thinks that my phone is making a call and starts playing my voice memo over the speakers!

Has anyone else discovered this and does anyone know if it's possible to output my other audio apps through Bluetooth? (I tried and it didn't work).
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Is your phone connected to the smartphone integration in the center console? I'm wondering if this is an actual bluetooth function or just the SPI working...

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 06-18-2009, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
Is your phone connected to the smartphone integration in the center console? I'm wondering if this is an actual bluetooth function or just the SPI working...
Nope, it's physically separate. It's only connection to the BMW is via Bluetooth.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Center View Post
Nope, it's physically separate. It's only connection to the BMW is via Bluetooth.
Hmmmmm very cool, will have to test that out later!!

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 06-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Road or Beach

Mein Auto: 2012 Z4 35is
Yes, for the memo I get a bluetooth button on the upper left and I can select the iPhone, Speaker or BMW just like when in a call. They need to make this work with the iPod functionality so that I can play music over BT in my BMW, that would be great
Old 06-18-2009, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl_cyclist View Post
Yes, for the memo I get a bluetooth button on the upper left and I can select the iPhone, Speaker or BMW just like when in a call. They need to make this work with the iPod functionality so that I can play music over BT in my BMW, that would be great
The iphone can do that, but the bluetooth in your car can't handle it - a couple Toyotas support it, like the prius and venza.

One of the new audio-related features of the 3.0 update is support for Bluetooth's Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP). This lets you stream stereo audio over Bluetooth to other devices, such as wireless headphones, a speaker system, or a car stereo.

Rob
Old 06-20-2009, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: '09 535i M Package
OK. I was curious about this. I saw the 3.0 update gave my 2nd gen iTouch bluetooth capabilities but I knew it would be too good to be true for it to integrate with my '08 x3.
I'll stick with the aux input for now.
Any chance of BMW coming out with a bluetooth upgrade to address this?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: '06 330xi ZPP/ZSP/ZCW
I just discovered this feature yesterday too when I was trying out the voice memo feature in my bimmer. If there is a way to get the iPod application to use the "phone accessory" style of transmission in addition to A2DP, that would be awesome, but it probably won't be stereo bluetooth.

I did try out the Jensen WBT210 Bluetooth Portable Universal Stereo Receiver that I picked up on Amazon for $12.95 + shipping. It does work fine to receive stereo A2DP, with the receiver plugged into the aux jack. It sounds fine, but there is occasional choppiness that makes the stream unintelligible, I'm not sure what is causing it.

Interestingly, if the iPhone is paired with the car Bluetooth and the WBT210 at the same time, you can be listening to music from the iPod application and then receive a phone call through your car, and the switch off and resumption of music after the call has ended works quite well. Unfortunately, in my car anyway, with both devices paired the phone call sounded choppy and degraded from usual performance. As a test, I unpaired the WBT210 but kept it on to see if it was interfering with the signal. With it not paired but still on, the degradation of the phone call quality through the car Bluetooth went away, so the problem might be on the iPhone side.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: RX8
WBT210 Jensen Bluetooth receiver question

I also have a WBT210 Jensen bluetooth audio receiver, but the manual and charger were stolen with a whole bunch of other electronics' components. I'd like to get a scanned copy of the manual. Also I'd like to know the connector polarity so I can use an OEM adapter. Is the inside tip positive or negative? Probably you wouldn't know the answer to this last question unless you know a bit about electronics and could measure it for me with a voltmeter. Anyway a copy of the manual would be good.

Thanks, ..Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aig View Post
I just discovered this feature yesterday too when I was trying out the voice memo feature in my bimmer. If there is a way to get the iPod application to use the "phone accessory" style of transmission in addition to A2DP, that would be awesome, but it probably won't be stereo bluetooth.

I did try out the Jensen WBT210 Bluetooth Portable Universal Stereo Receiver that I picked up on Amazon for $12.95 + shipping. It does work fine to receive stereo A2DP, with the receiver plugged into the aux jack. It sounds fine, but there is occasional choppiness that makes the stream unintelligible, I'm not sure what is causing it.

Interestingly, if the iPhone is paired with the car Bluetooth and the WBT210 at the same time, you can be listening to music from the iPod application and then receive a phone call through your car, and the switch off and resumption of music after the call has ended works quite well. Unfortunately, in my car anyway, with both devices paired the phone call sounded choppy and degraded from usual performance. As a test, I unpaired the WBT210 but kept it on to see if it was interfering with the signal. With it not paired but still on, the degradation of the phone call quality through the car Bluetooth went away, so the problem might be on the iPhone side.