Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 06-18-2009, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 325is
Duralast 49-DL still preferred battery?

Did a search here and elsewhere and found that the Duralast 49-DL is the "drop in" replacement for the E46 unless you have a convertable in which case the battery compartment is smaller.

Is this still the case for my 2004 M3 (non-convertable)? In other words any downside to this battery that has been discovered? I've got a dead battery and need to get one. The dealer OEM is $202 and this is only $101.

E36 Stats: 1995 325is: 125Kmi; TSW Rims; Bilstein shocks; K&N panel filter; Pioneer/ Polk audio CD/MP3; Conforti Chip; NGK Iridium plugs. Original owner.
E36 Replacements: drivers seat leather (1), wheel bearings (3), water pump (1), radiator (1), rear brake light assembly (1), battery (3).
E46 Stats: 2004 M3, 45Kmi (3rd Owner)

Advertisement
Old 06-18-2009, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Yes it's a great battery for the E46, price has gone up in the last few years though.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 325is
OK, I got one and installed it.

I have seen posts that this battery does not fit/ results in the cover being unable to fit.

The 49DL posts are years old, so maybe this is an update.

The 49DL will fit but-

1. you have to remove the old plastic post that clips the bottom of the OEM battery to the battery holder. It just flips out so no big deal. The OEM battery is smaller than the battery holder so this piece of plastic prevents lateral movement, it pops out and you need to pop it out because the 49DL is longer and will not sit with the plastic piece in place.
2. Next, you have to install the tube and extension clip to the 49DL to connect the evac tube to the existing evac tube. The fittings do fit but there is a right angle connection so make sure it is not crimped when you install the tension mount. The way to do it is to install the extention and tubing to the existing tubing in the car leaving it free. Make the connection to the battery last after the battery is put is in.
3. OK, so you have removed the plastic post and put in your tube extension, so put in the new battery, the 49DL. It just fits in the mount.
4. Connect the tubing to the evacuation nozzle. Its a right angle so be careful.
5. Put in the original brackets.
6. Here is where the problem occurs. The 49DL is lower than the original battery so the push down clamp will not hold it. If the push down clamp is pushed all the way in the battery still moves. You have to lay something on top of the battery (maybe 1/2" or so?) in order to clamp the battery down using the original clamp. I used 3 layers of speaker gasket tape and it was not enough. Finally laid a section of floor molding on top of that and it did the trick. Searching on the internet reveals that a hockey puck will work.
7. The battery posts are the same dimensions (I think) as the originals so you don't need to rework the clamps. At least I didn't. Just connect the + first and - second (at least that is what the directions say to do).
8. You need to remove the red + cover from the 49DL and install the BMW cover. Guess what? The cover pops out and there are 2 holes that will allow the original OEM BMW cover to pop right in. Not perfect but close enough.
9. The trunk battery cover will fit over all of this no problem but its hard to know if your tubing was pressed (and no longer works) because you cannot see what happened. Be careful and good luck.

So there you have it, a 49DL does indeed fit but involves a small amount of tweaking to get right.

I have seen posts on the internet that the + and - terminals are swapped- they are not. They are in the right spot. Posts that the plastic cover will not fit are also not correct. The only drawbacks are the right angle evacuation tube that is a tight fit and the low height which needs a shim.

Price was $89 + $12 ($12 refunded when you return old battery) as of June 2009 from AutoZone. The dealer quote was $202 for an OEM battery.

E36 Stats: 1995 325is: 125Kmi; TSW Rims; Bilstein shocks; K&N panel filter; Pioneer/ Polk audio CD/MP3; Conforti Chip; NGK Iridium plugs. Original owner.
E36 Replacements: drivers seat leather (1), wheel bearings (3), water pump (1), radiator (1), rear brake light assembly (1), battery (3).
E46 Stats: 2004 M3, 45Kmi (3rd Owner)

Last edited by john1in2; 06-18-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3
I realize this is a little late, but the AutoZone 94R-DLG is a direct drop in. Even has vent ports on the end of the battery rather than at the center, so the vent tube fits just like OEM. It costs more, tho - $140.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 03 E46 M3 SMG II
Just got the Bosch (for a Mini Cooper S) from Pep Boys. The CSL uses the Mini Cooper S battery. No need to modify and its lighter.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:59 PM
2003 330i ZHP......rocks!

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by john1in2 View Post
OK, I got one and installed it.

I have seen posts that this battery does not fit/ results in the cover being unable to fit.

The 49DL posts are years old, so maybe this is an update.

The 49DL will fit but-

1. you have to remove the old plastic post that clips the bottom of the OEM battery to the battery holder. It just flips out so no big deal. The OEM battery is smaller than the battery holder so this piece of plastic prevents lateral movement, it pops out and you need to pop it out because the 49DL is longer and will not sit with the plastic piece in place.
2. Next, you have to install the tube and extension clip to the 49DL to connect the evac tube to the existing evac tube. The fittings do fit but there is a right angle connection so make sure it is not crimped when you install the tension mount. The way to do it is to install the extention and tubing to the existing tubing in the car leaving it free. Make the connection to the battery last after the battery is put is in.
3. OK, so you have removed the plastic post and put in your tube extension, so put in the new battery, the 49DL. It just fits in the mount.
4. Connect the tubing to the evacuation nozzle. Its a right angle so be careful.
5. Put in the original brackets.
6. Here is where the problem occurs. The 49DL is lower than the original battery so the push down clamp will not hold it. If the push down clamp is pushed all the way in the battery still moves. You have to lay something on top of the battery (maybe 1/2" or so?) in order to clamp the battery down using the original clamp. I used 3 layers of speaker gasket tape and it was not enough. Finally laid a section of floor molding on top of that and it did the trick. Searching on the internet reveals that a hockey puck will work.
7. The battery posts are the same dimensions (I think) as the originals so you don't need to rework the clamps. At least I didn't. Just connect the + first and - second (at least that is what the directions say to do).
8. You need to remove the red + cover from the 49DL and install the BMW cover. Guess what? The cover pops out and there are 2 holes that will allow the original OEM BMW cover to pop right in. Not perfect but close enough.
9. The trunk battery cover will fit over all of this no problem but its hard to know if your tubing was pressed (and no longer works) because you cannot see what happened. Be careful and good luck.

So there you have it, a 49DL does indeed fit but involves a small amount of tweaking to get right.

I have seen posts on the internet that the + and - terminals are swapped- they are not. They are in the right spot. Posts that the plastic cover will not fit are also not correct. The only drawbacks are the right angle evacuation tube that is a tight fit and the low height which needs a shim.

Price was $89 + $12 ($12 refunded when you return old battery) as of June 2009 from AutoZone. The dealer quote was $202 for an OEM battery.
Just installed the 49-DL myself using all of the above steps. I did not need to use anything to shim or add height to the batter to make it rock solid. Price was same at Autozone in Cincinnati, OH. Looks like I got about 6.5 years out of my OEM battery. Car was ED in spring 2003, built feb 2003. Only has 55k miles on it, but sits a lot in garage.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 740il 530i
Unhappy duralast 49-dl

best deal in town however auto zone is discontinuing the battery.

I called most of the stores and no luck.
too bad they have a good product and they are not
going to carry it.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post
best deal in town however auto zone is discontinuing the battery.

I called most of the stores and no luck.
too bad they have a good product and they are not
going to carry it.
That's why it was so darn hard to find today. I drove to about 3 different stores who all said they had it in stock, but they couldn't find it. Last store found one hiding in the back.

It's a shame, good battery. I wonder if there's another Duralast that'll fit back there that performs just as well.

Edit: Bosch Group 49 battery, can be found at Pep Boys. 850CCA, 1000 CA. Identical to Duralast, and sometimes on sale for $63 as well.

Last edited by Zell; 01-21-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:31 AM
retiredat44

Mein Auto: BMW
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
That's why it was so darn hard to find today. I drove to about 3 different stores who all said they had it in stock, but they couldn't find it. Last store found one hiding in the back.

It's a shame, good battery. I wonder if there's another Duralast that'll fit back there that performs just as well.

Edit: Bosch Group 49 battery, can be found at Pep Boys. 850CCA, 1000 CA. Identical to Duralast, and sometimes on sale for $63 as well.
$63.00 ! wow! I am looking into a new battery. Although AAA auto club tested it sometime before I bought it (AAA auto club had to have sold it, it has their sticker on it, which means it is probably Interstate battery) the last owner had it tested before I bought the car, I am very suspicious of it. it is only 700 cca, the recommended 900 cca. Also, I was unable to find the date code no matter how hard we looked (my wife and I.) I have been checking and PepBoys has the Bosch Premium Performance Battery (group 49) for a total of $130.00 after tax, but after coupon and core refund, I can get it at $95.00.

I don't see how it can be gotten cheaper, although I think I missed a Bosch battery rebate that expired recently for $20.00.

I have had a couple times where I was working on something, and had the dome light on or some wires disconnected for a few minutes,, and the car would not start.. other times it just fires up and no problems..

I will have the battery checked either today or tomorrow, on a load tester at a store.
I have a charger at home if I need it and carry jumper cables. But, I should not have to worry, plus I live in a warm part of the country and the weather here is not hard on batteries, so,, it's probably has a bad cell. And it was probably marginal. Also, this car is not hardly ever driven (maybe I don't give it enough driving time to charge it well enough, but I don't really think that could be the problem), because the old card we are going to junk, is still being used until we get the final date set to junk it. This gives me time to make sure it is all good to go.

Well, since it is a used car, and is really nice, it wasn't perfect, had to install a couple new tires. Put new rear brakes on. I can't expect it to be perfect, although I wish I could have gotten perfect used car.

If the battery test shows any battery problems I will probably go with Bosch. The Walmart battery has good reviews but after 3 years, they seem to drop off... I believe it should go at least minimum of 5 years without even looking at it, we maybe look to just look for any corrosion... Sears search says they don't have any battery for my car (We have had lots of problems with Sears orders over the last couple of years, not sure what the heck happened with that store). Autozone, not as good a deal as Bosch even with a coupon search.

I am not pushing any one store, but they all treat me well. With 3 cars in our family, and all old, I had my share of buying and installing parts. They all have no hassle warranties.

I do want to ask about the 2001 BMW 430i charging system:
Doesn't the BMW computer tell me if the charging system has any problems? I mean idiot lights. I never get messages after starting telling me anything is bad.

btw, the Bosch Premium Performance Battery (*that I might buy), and was under the impression a group 48 belongs in it. But, it that is what is recommended at the store. Not even going into who is the real maker and who slaps their brand label on. It does say 3 years emergency jump start assistance, but I can't find any website with info on that.

Disabled Veteran: