Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 06-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750li (F02),
Service problems with F01, F02.

For those who have taken delivery of their new 7 I was wondering what kind of problems if any you have experienced? How did you notice it? What was the diagnosis? How was your service advisor? Problem fixed to your satisfaction?

I took delivery of a pretty loaded 750Li on May 14th, 2009. Everything was fine for the first two weeks and I had no problems. Did my best to keep the rpm's below 4000 there were a few times I could not help myself. Then weird stuff started happening. I would get in car, start it up, and the phone would mate by bluetooth and then disconnect and mate and disconnect...in an endless loop. Then the SOS and roadside assistance went inactive and I got a text telling me disabled. Call the roadside assistance people and said I had to take to dealer. Then stopped responding to voice commands.

So...I took it to dealer and got a call from my service advisor that car was still in "transport mode." Thought that was strange as car worked fine for two weeks. They took it out of 'transport mode and I went down to pick it up. Before I left the dealers lot I went to mate my phone...same thing...only worse...this time the bluetooth in car would not even activate. Service advisor got the tech...who swore he got someones iPhone at dealership and used it to mate and make a call. I was pretty pissed and thought that maybe they just took it out of transport mode, thought that would fix it, and did not check. I told my service advisor first thing I was going to do when I came to get the car was mate my phone. The Customer Advisor I bought the car from assured me they were honest guys and would not lie about it so I accepted his explanation.

Had to leave the car again and they re-programmed it and I got a call letting me know that did not fix it. So they ordered a telematics unit and the new one fixed it and I have had no problems since. All my favorite entertainment channels were still there and the 8 programmable buttons still programed. Evidently BMW has found a way to replace a telematics unit and save all your settings. In the past new telematic unit erases all settings.

I did feel that they were not showing as much concern as they should. I believe that a customer experiencing problems in the first few thousand miles would mean the service department would pull out all the stops to get it fixed. I do not care if its a 100K 7 series or a 35K 3 series, should not make a difference. In my case it certainly did not.

My Customer Advisor had some wise advice. The email survey you get after a service appointment...be careful filling it out. They can pull up all your past surveys and if you constantly give bad marks and long detailed complaints word gets around and they pass you around like a hot potato. So don't fill them out when your mad. Plus, their compensation is tied to those surveys. It took a while, but, the problem was fixed, no problems since. So I gave high marks.
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2009, 03:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to clambros Send a message via Yahoo to clambros
Mein Auto: '07 650i Convertible
In my (3) weeks of ownership, my new F02 has been at the service department for (7) days (1/3 of its time with me).

- Software problems galore (steering wheel control problems, auto high beam problems, BMW assist inop, and a few others)
- Lane departure system failure
- Front seat is now "digging" into my thighs and marking my body (OK, I'm not the smallest guy .. but HEY, your car shouldn't leave you in pain)
- Front cameras are blurred (BMW refuses to replace the cameras, because there is a new part "in the works"

Dealership seems dependant on BMW for support and parts .. but I agree, they don't seem as concerned as they I think they should be. But they are trying.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:42 PM

Clambros...don't know what to say really. I love my high beam assist. I had a friend who had it on a Cadillac in the late 80's, it got to the point where I told him if he turned it on I could not ride with him. It was totally useless and people constantly flashing lights at him and he would leave the high beams on behind people. Really stressful for passenger. The high beam assist on my car actually turns the low beams on when it detects cars around corners....even cars waiting to turn on a road. I live out in the country. It turns on low beams way before the point where it would be rude. Did they get it fixed?

The lane depature...I hardly use it. Find it to be a pain in the ***. Not that I can't stay in my lane . I do use it when I am really tired. I find it to be a great asset when tired.

Have they replaced the telematics unit?

My side view camera's do fog up, but only when it is wet + humid. So does my backup camera. I use the side view camera mainly in parking lots of malls where lot's of landscaping etc., etc. Hardly ever use it on road.

Hope they get is worked out for you. Sucks to spend this much on a car and not be totally happy with it.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:00 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
wow i cant believe you guys are having so many problems already with the car. the E65/66 had ALOT of problems but i was hoping bmw would of sorted everything out with the F01.

clambros, thats unexpectable that your camera's are blurred and bmw wont fix the problem. i would tell them your going to lemon the car and see what they do. also the seats shouldnt be "digging" into anything regardless of size.

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 06-21-2009, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750Li Individual ED
Sorry to hear of those issue

Do you guys think we should include the built when we add issues here as well???
This way we know if later built cars are getting items updated? Or later built items have NEW issues creeping up???
Your thoughts...
(Built date is on the door sill of the car, also your VIN can decode the date as well)
2008 650i Alpine White
2009 750Li Individual ED June 30th Delivery - "SALE PENDING"

Old 06-22-2009, 03:55 AM

Mine is a "launch" car .. built 12/08
Old 06-22-2009, 09:31 AM
bmw addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by clambros View Post
Mine is a "launch" car .. built 12/08
imo it doesnt matter. if they sold you the car it should preform the way its suppose to. i would not settle for anything less because after all its BMW's flagship car

Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 06-22-2009, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li/X5 4.4i/335XI
It happens to new models, tech not familiar with the new technology and diagnosis since many new parts different from previous model. Better wait for a couple of years before they are really on hand.

[B]2006 760li Opal Black/creme white merino leather; piano black trim; individual package. 2008 335XI Black/Dakota brown. 2002 X5 Black/Black.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:47 PM
bmw addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boafa View Post
It happens to new models, tech not familiar with the new technology and diagnosis since many new parts different from previous model. Better wait for a couple of years before they are really on hand.
they shouldnt sell the car if the techs are not ready to deal with the issue's. it doesn't matter if its a first year production or in the last year.

Black Trim Painted White

Old 06-23-2009, 12:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
they shouldnt sell the car if the techs are not ready to deal with the issue's. it doesn't matter if its a first year production or in the last year.
What if the problem only arose after production began? A lot of these issues come out of regular use, and not testing. Testing cannot simulate every environment, driving style, etc.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Old 06-23-2009, 10:55 AM
bmw addiction

why would bmw produce a car if they dont have trained techs to fix it.

Black Trim Painted White

Old 06-23-2009, 11:32 AM

My car has 400 miles on it .. I doubt any problem was post-production. Right now the car is in service (where it has been for over 7 days), and it will not program. The FSE has been out without any luck or progress. I'm not sure 400 miles is "regular use".
Old 06-23-2009, 05:17 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
wow

worse than the 02 745s

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 06-24-2009, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: '10 750Lix / '05 XJR
Someone posted a remark about taking delivery of the new 7 back in April which I read and took as credible advice (this site has always had excellent info). Unfortuantely, I've always been on the lease schedule where taking delivery of a new model was mandatory. Thankfully, I've heeded the advice learned here and am waiting for MY10 eventhough my lease is up in September (having been extended from last Sept 08). As a veteran 7 owner, I wouldn't go near a first year german model for any $. But for those who have, thanks for wanting to show off to the neighbors and giving of your valuable time to the techies. All of your input, including board comments, are going into the making future MYs less problematic. It's just a normal evolution of a introducing a new model.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
Sounds like alot of early software issues once again. It will probably get sorted out but you will have to play the we have a new program coming out next month game. Good luck gentlemen. Hope it only is software and not mechanical you guys paid way to much to have to be a regular at the dealer.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:02 PM
bmw addiction

honestly i would be pissed if my 100k+ car had this many problems. im a busy guy and dont have time to spend x amount of days a week at the dealer. what are you guys getting as courtesy cars?

Black Trim Painted White

Old 06-25-2009, 12:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to JJ3699
Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
what are you guys getting as courtesy cars?
Hondas

but seriously, they should be giving you guys something special

.................BMW 4 LIFE.....................
Old 06-25-2009, 04:52 AM

clear up any confusion...car is working fine.

OK...I have not been here in a few days. As to the questions that have been asked. Car was manufactured in April 09. Secondly, the first loaner was a 3 series, second was a 5 series, I had a 545i Sport Package before the 750li Sport Package. But the main response is, the car is fixed. It took 4 days. Replacing the telematics unit did the trick and I have had no problems since. I understand it taking 4 days. Few dealers have telematics units for 09 750 sitting around the stock room as that is a really expensive part and this is new model. Telematics unit is brains of the phone, voice commands, SOS, and roadside assist. Finally, although I did not think that the dealers showed as much concern as they should have, it got fixed and I'm happy with car. I've had it back from shop for going on a month now and no problems since. I just started this thread to see how many others were experiencing problems and what I had to look forward to. Looks like me and 1 other reader of the 7 series board. Now a lot of people have not accepted delivery yet...but that makes me optimistic.

On an unrelated topic. The blue tooth is much improved from my 545i. Really, really fast. I was leaving a store and I sometimes start the car before closing door and putting on seat belt. The keyless entry and push button start is great. Just leave remote in pocket. If remote slips out of shorts or something loose like sweats car will not lock with remote in vehicle so you do not make mistake. I got a call through car seconds after starting it...before I had even closed door. In my 5 series I had to wait for at least 1 to 2 minutes before the phone and car mated.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:28 PM

Here are some pictures.

Mineral White Metallic, Sport Package, Luxury seating front and rear, Rear Entertainment, Convenience Package, Camera Package, Driver Assistance Package, Instrument Panel with Leather, Ceramic Controls, Head-up Display.

Sorry...will not take my pics...try again later.

OK..here they are. Others were High Definition and site would not take.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	190932   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	190933   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	190934   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	190935   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	190936  

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	190937  

Last edited by briansbimmer; 06-25-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: won't take my pics.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 535, SL600
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansbimmer View Post
Mineral White Metallic, Sport Package, Luxury seating front and rear, Rear Entertainment, Convenience Package, Camera Package, Driver Assistance Package, Instrument Panel with Leather, Ceramic Controls, Head-up Display.

Sorry...will not take my pics...try again later.

OK..here they are. Others were High Definition and site would not take.
looks great

2007 750LI (gone but not forgotten)
Old 06-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
Wow.....seems like the new 7er is having troubles just like the older E65 version on its launch.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansbimmer View Post
they ordered a telematics unit and the new one fixed it and I have had no problems since. All my favorite entertainment channels were still there and the 8 programmable buttons still programed. Evidently BMW has found a way to replace a telematics unit and save all your settings. In the past new telematic unit erases all settings.
I was talking to a tech about this before... They used to make them write down all the presets and reprogram the car when that stuff was changed... He said it was a major PITA as he'd be there with a notebook jotting down FM radio station numbers. haa
Old 06-29-2009, 04:35 PM

Unhappy New Problem

Well...what to say...so get telematics unit replaced and now parking brake malfunction. WTF? Driving around today June 29, 09 and stop in a strip mall while running errands. I had the cars "auto hold" feature on. That allows you to take your foot off the brake at lights or other prolonged stops. Nice feature. Well...I park the car and turn off as normal. I never set the parking brake, but when you have it set in "auto hold" (button behind the shifter) the parking brake is automatically engaged when you put the car in park and turn it off. Finish running my errands and get in the car, start it, and cannot move. Push the parking brake button (also behind the shifter) a number of times and the light on the parking brake button does not light up. Turn car off thinking maybe if I re-boot so to speak. Text message that about parking brake inoperable. Yellow triangle with exclamation point near speedometer and parking brake indicator between speedometer and rpm gauge stayed on in yellow.

Well...I blanked and instead of checking owners manual, which I keep in trunk, called roadside assist. Took a while but they were in the end helpful and talked me through finding the tool in trunk and taking up the trunk mat to manually disengage the parking brake. Need to remove two screws and use the tool to pull up on a steel post that is made to disengage parking brake. When you pull up on steel post it comes up about 4 inches and you are pulling a cable which you can see when you pull up on post. Requires a pretty strong tug.

Roadside assist: you are first connected to a guy who then connects you to another person. First one stays on line while other one talks me through it. Than second one says goodbye and first one calls dealer to make service appointment. Which of course goes direct to voicemail. So I will have no parking brake or "auto hold" until car gets into dealer after holiday weekend. Every time I start the car get message "Parking Brake! Car may roll" in dash and in heads up display. Pictures below...one showing steel post, another with tool laying next to post. Must be a pretty common thing if they make a special tool made for just this purpose? That is all the red tool pictured does.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	191433   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	191434   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	191435   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	191436  
Old 06-29-2009, 05:57 PM
President

the e65 got a lot of the parking brake malfuction but i have yet heard of somebody unable to release the brake, until you, but i have heard of people were unable to set the parking brake

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 07-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
I have used this auto brake function a few times in my E65 7er. But I am always afraid to use it for a prolonged time because I do not want to deal with this kind of trouble. Issues like this makes me wonder if BMW actually tests its car for prolonged period with these special functions before offering it to public.