Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 07-02-2009, 11:09 PM

Mein Auto: '11 135i DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I have used this auto brake function a few times in my E65 7er. But I am always afraid to use it for a prolonged time because I do not want to deal with this kind of trouble. Issues like this makes me wonder if BMW actually tests its car for prolonged period with these special functions before offering it to public.
i never uzed it on my family's E65. it never was smooth enough to warrant me not just keeping my foot on the brake. in the F01 though its much smoother.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750li (F02),
update on emergency brake/auto hold/parking brake

My 750li went in shop on Monday the 6th of July. Went in at 8 am and back by 3 pm. Parking brake and auto hold work, however, still need a part that is in Germany and will not arrive for 7 to 10 days. I asked name of part but for the life of me cannot remember. I am not going to use auto hold until new part is installed. Do not want to chance it. When it gets done I'll post part listed on invoice.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:27 AM

back again

A quick review: took delivery of pretty loaded 750li on May 14th, 2009. First it was the bluetooth, voice commands, and SOS/Roadside Assist. Replaced telematics unit and everything fine. Two weeks later am stranded in a parking lot because parking brake would not release. Roadside assist talked me through manually releasing parking brake. Could not get car into shop till one week later on July 6th 2009. During the wait no auto hold, no emergency brake, no parking brake, and warning in dash "Parking Brake! Car may roll." Got it in shop on the 6th of July and got the warning to go away and said I needed a part in Germany that would be here in 7 to 10 days. I have heard nothing but I'm pretty confident I'll get a call when it comes in and so far dealers service department has been OK.

So...what's the latest? I'm driving from DC suburbs to eastern shore of Delaware yesterday the 17th of July. No warning chime but I notice the yellow triangle with exclamation point on in dash board. I got to the cars status information in the iDrive and navigate to warning. Says oil is at minimum level. Nothing about stopping driving or to pull over immediately. I use the navigation to find the closest BMW service center and luckily one was right on my route 3 miles away from my current location. Heavy traffic and I get there in less than 10 minutes. Go in buy a quart of oil and since no dipstick and oil level screen does not tell me how much to add I am not sure. Having to much oil is just as bad as being short. So poke my head in service managers office and he is very nice tells me to pull it one of the bays. Get in car to pull in bay and this time it does a warning chime and text in dash that oil is at minimum level. They do some checking...say I need a quart..and add it. To check oil level navigate to that screen and prompt it to run the check (while car is running), takes about 5 minutes and then car shows you where the oil level is at. I buy another quart just to have it with me. I was in and out in less than 25 minutes. Get back on road and warning light is still on for rest of ride to beach. Car sat all night and ran a check this morning...oil level is OK and the warning light is off.

So...service techs were nice and said it was nothing to be to concerned about and while not a common thing on new cars with less than 6K miles it does happen. I have been driving it pretty hard and was taking a friend for a ride the day before and did get the RPMs in the yellow range. So...I'll continue to keep posting and...well I don't know...really not to concerned...or should I be?
Old 07-17-2009, 12:02 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansbimmer View Post
A quick review: took delivery of pretty loaded 750li on May 14th, 2009. First it was the bluetooth, voice commands, and SOS/Roadside Assist. Replaced telematics unit and everything fine. Two weeks later am stranded in a parking lot because parking brake would not release. Roadside assist talked me through manually releasing parking brake. Could not get car into shop till one week later on July 6th 2009. During the wait no auto hold, no emergency brake, no parking brake, and warning in dash "Parking Brake! Car may roll." Got it in shop on the 6th of July and got the warning to go away and said I needed a part in Germany that would be here in 7 to 10 days. I have heard nothing but I'm pretty confident I'll get a call when it comes in and so far dealers service department has been OK.

So...what's the latest? I'm driving from DC suburbs to eastern shore of Delaware yesterday the 17th of July. No warning chime but I notice the yellow triangle with exclamation point on in dash board. I got to the cars status information in the iDrive and navigate to warning. Says oil is at minimum level. Nothing about stopping driving or to pull over immediately. I use the navigation to find the closest BMW service center and luckily one was right on my route 3 miles away from my current location. Heavy traffic and I get there in less than 10 minutes. Go in buy a quart of oil and since no dipstick and oil level screen does not tell me how much to add I am not sure. Having to much oil is just as bad as being short. So poke my head in service managers office and he is very nice tells me to pull it one of the bays. Get in car to pull in bay and this time it does a warning chime and text in dash that oil is at minimum level. They do some checking...say I need a quart..and add it. To check oil level navigate to that screen and prompt it to run the check (while car is running), takes about 5 minutes and then car shows you where the oil level is at. I buy another quart just to have it with me. I was in and out in less than 25 minutes. Get back on road and warning light is still on for rest of ride to beach. Car sat all night and ran a check this morning...oil level is OK and the warning light is off.

So...service techs were nice and said it was nothing to be to concerned about and while not a common thing on new cars with less than 6K miles it does happen. I have been driving it pretty hard and was taking a friend for a ride the day before and did get the RPMs in the yellow range. So...I'll continue to keep posting and...well I don't know...really not to concerned...or should I be?

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 07-17-2009, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 F02 750Li
Quote:
Go in buy a quart of oil...
Why pay for? It should be free. I would have just asked an advisor to take care of it real quick...

I heard lots of places that these cars are very oil hungry...

Old 07-17-2009, 03:31 PM
bmw addiction

oil should be free and covered under the maintenance plan

Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 07-18-2009, 05:12 AM

free oil

I did not even think about paying for the oil. I have my receipt for both quarts and will take them to my home dealer. I had never been to this dealership before and I was going to add it myself. It wasn't till I popped the hood with the oil in my hand and remembered no dipstick....and the green bars were right at the minimum in the iDrive but did not really say how much to add or if it did I did not see it. That's when I asked for help. Anyway....your both right...I'll take the receipts in.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745i
Wow, this sounds like the worst experience any $100k car can give you. My sympathies I spent far less and yet have gone through enough grief myself thinking if I got a new one I wouldn't have had to go through all of that, but this has proven me wrong.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:58 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
I did not even think about paying for the oil. I have my receipt for both quarts and will take them to my home dealer. I had never been to this dealership before and I was going to add it myself. It wasn't till I popped the hood with the oil in my hand and remembered no dipstick....and the green bars were right at the minimum in the iDrive but did not really say how much to add or if it did I did not see it. That's when I asked for help. Anyway....your both right...I'll take the receipts in.
oil top offs are not covered under any warranty or maintenance plan

but i would still try to get my money back, it doesnt matter if its even $5, its in the principle, it wasnt your fault so you shouldnt pay for it

i would try too see if u can lemon the car and get one that wont be so problematic

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 07-26-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven11 View Post
oil top offs are not covered under any warranty or maintenance plan
I don't think that is correct. It should be covered under the BMW Ultimate Service plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven11 View Post
i would try too see if u can lemon the car and get one that wont be so problematic
Have you ever "lemoned" a car before? The process is extremely difficult...

Old 07-26-2009, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: lexus
Quote:
OK...I have not been here in a few days. As to the questions that have been asked. Car was manufactured in April 09. Secondly, the first loaner was a 3 series, second was a 5 series, I had a 545i Sport Package before the 750li Sport Package. But the main response is, the car is fixed. It took 4 days. Replacing the telematics unit did the trick and I have had no problems since. I understand it taking 4 days. Few dealers have telematics units for 09 750 sitting around the stock room as that is a really expensive part and this is new model. Telematics unit is brains of the phone, voice commands, SOS, and roadside assist. Finally, although I did not think that the dealers showed as much concern as they should have, it got fixed and I'm happy with car. I've had it back from shop for going on a month now and no problems since. I just started this thread to see how many others were experiencing problems and what I had to look forward to. Looks like me and 1 other reader of the 7 series board. Now a lot of people have not accepted delivery yet...but that makes me optimistic.

On an unrelated topic. The blue tooth is much improved from my 545i. Really, really fast. I was leaving a store and I sometimes start the car before closing door and putting on seat belt. The keyless entry and push button start is great. Just leave remote in pocket. If remote slips out of shorts or something loose like sweats car will not lock with remote in vehicle so you do not make mistake. I got a call through car seconds after starting it...before I had even closed door. In my 5 series I had to wait for at least 1 to 2 minutes before the phone and car mated.
regarding the keyless entry and start and unlockable with keys inside, my lexus has had this for 4 years. you would think bmw would have made this standard since its hardly new technology. from what I am hearing the fact that the dealer shows little concern is because he knows someone else will come in and be blinded by the roundel. I love the previous gen 7 series but am constantly reminded of why I just dont go ahead and get one. bmw electronics is a joke.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
from what I am hearing the fact that the dealer shows little concern is because he knows someone else will come in and be blinded by the roundel.
Whatever....who can explain the ways of the human heart.

I love my car and have not even thought about "lemoning" it. I do not think I am anywhere close to that point. But speaking of that...where is Clambros? He has not posted in months.

Dealer is being much more responsive since the telematics problem back in early June. Last week I got a $1000.00 gift certificate to a local portrait studio. Not sure if it was from the dealer or BMW USA. I ran in to my salesman in Starbucks and he knew nothing about it. It's a studio where the artist uses paint to make the photo look closer to a painted portrait. Thought that was nice.

Update on the car...the part from Germany is in and has been at the dealers for almost 2 weeks. I leave for a trip on August 1 and am swamped at work, therefore will not get it installed until I return. So leaving the oil aside (which I think is in part dependent upon how hard you drive the car) no problems since July 6th. Miles away from the stringent requirements of my states lemon law.

Last edited by briansbimmer; 07-27-2009 at 04:42 AM. Reason: quuotes
Old 09-15-2009, 01:41 AM
E65/E66 Helper Man.......

Send a message via AIM to harjothundal Send a message via MSN to harjothundal
Mein Auto: BMW 745 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden View Post
Have you ever "lemoned" a car before? The process is extremely difficult...
not really, espacially when you're talking about a 7 series.........
Old 09-15-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjothundal View Post
not really, espacially when you're talking about a 7 series.........
Care to elaborate? I take it you've lemoned a 7 series before...

Old 09-15-2009, 11:32 AM
bmw addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden View Post
Care to elaborate? I take it you've lemoned a 7 series before...
he and a few other members have lemoned their E65/66s fairy easily

Black Trim Painted White

Old 09-15-2009, 12:26 PM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...662&highlight=

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...448&highlight=

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...223&highlight=

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...759&highlight=

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...516&highlight=

You can review these links for details of my ordeal, if you wish... I researched a lot... I debated weather to hire a lawyer, or not... A lawyer would not have cost me much as BMW would be responsible, but I felt I had a strong case and approached BMW myself... I wrote a detailed letter, almost 5-6 pages... I told them why I purchased the car, what my expectations of the car were, and how they were not met/why they were not met... I explained every single failure in detail, and attached pictures of every failure that I had taken with my iphone... Some of the more serious issues I had documented on videotape (this was the only way to get BMW service to attempt to fix some of the failures) ... I sent all this in a well compiled document, cover page and all... I sent 3 exact copies.... 1 to the bmw dealer i was dealing with, 1 to bmw headquarters, and 1 directly to bmw's customer buyback department... I wouldn't say i "threatened" bmw in the letter, but I did state I would pursue the issue furthur if a resolution could not be reached mutually...

That was all there was to it... Do keep in mind though, my car had numerous and serious issues to it's safety features, and spent a very large amount of time in the shop...

I hate to say it, cause though the new 7 is growing on my in terms of looks; some of you seem like you may have to take the same routh... especially considering you put out that kind of cash in this economy!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:03 PM

WOW harjothundal. That was interesting reading. I can see why they replaced the car. My problems pale in comparison. I'll briefly re-cap (apologies to regular readers who have to hear it again.

1) Telematics replaced about three weeks in. Since then no problems with electronics or iDrive. Took two visits to the shop in same week...trip back because I lost my temper and left. My bad...that is no way to get your car fixed...take it from me.

2) Parking Brake/Auto Hold. Stranded in lot. Roadside assist...manual release in trunk. Trip to shop. Part in Germany. Part recalled. I was told they are working on a fix. 2 days in shop...1 this week for nothing as my service advisor did not know the part I came in to have installed had been recalled. This week I get a Ford Focus for the day. So this is going on 2 months. The car drives fine while waiting for this fix...no warnings in dash or iDrive. I do not trust auto hold or parking brake and have not used either for past 2 months. Let's hope if I need emergency brake it works.

Added a quart of oil with less than 5K miles. It's a bimmer...they do that.

So...nothing like your nightmares.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:29 PM

best of luck, and i hope nothing serious occurs at a later date! with the amount of electronics these vehicles have onboard, it's hard to achieve 100% reliability... though, somehow, lexus does it...
Old 09-16-2009, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: X6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by harjothundal View Post
best of luck, and i hope nothing serious occurs at a later date! with the amount of electronics these vehicles have onboard, it's hard to achieve 100% reliability... though, somehow, lexus does it...
Not always. My parents had (still have, until the winter) an LS for the same period of time that I had my 650i. Their car managed to be in the shop numerous times for all manner of stupid.

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 09-16-2009, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 07 LS460L
Quote:
Originally Posted by XZLR8 View Post
Not always. My parents had (still have, until the winter) an LS for the same period of time that I had my 650i. Their car managed to be in the shop numerous times for all manner of stupid.
I have an 07 LS460L loaded with every option Lexus makes and it hasn't been in the shop for any warranty work except for routine maintenance. I have other Lexus products in my driveway and they are all just as reliable. Whereas my Mini S and the 5 series driven by my teenagers have been in the shop for quite a few warranty repairs. Don't get me wrong. BMW makes fine automobiles, and I love to drive them especially the Mini S, but they are shop hogs.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:15 AM

Emergency/Parking Brake, Auto Hold...fixed!

Finally got my car fixed. This problem with parking brake has been going on since July 4th weekend. Part that came from Germany to fix it was recalled. New Part came in middle of September...my schedule would not allow me to get car in shop till last Wed., the 30th of September. My service advisor brought a loaner to my home on the evening of the 29th and took my car. They brought it back on the 2nd...around 9 pm.

It went in for the brake and also a spark plug recall. My car was produced in early 09 so later production may not have spark plug issues. Since the parking brake switch is electronic the entire car had to be re-programmed. They had trouble with the radio and there was a wait for the "adaption codes" from BMWUSA...whatever those are. Lost all my "Presets" and the 8 programmable buttons were erased. Which is a bit strange, I have also had the "telmatics" unit replaced and they were not erased then? My music library was still there, thankful for that as it took a while to build it.

They said I may notice some small differences since I have the newest firmware version. I have noticed 2 so far. When you exceed your pre-set top speed not only do you get the warning chime....now I also get message in heads up display with large exclamation point. The second thing I have noticed is when in park with car running...the heads up display says "BMW" with those lines underneath similar to ones in dash below speedometer and rpm gauge. Nice touch.

Number of people on this board have had problems with parking brake, I was wondering who else has had the fix done? Anybody else have the spark plug recall?

Last edited by briansbimmer; 10-05-2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Y ask y? Ask y not!

Mein Auto: F02
Quote:
It went in for the brake and also a spark plug recall. My car was produced in early 09 so later production may not have spark plug issues...
My F02 was manufactured 02/2009 so you think i'm affected by the recall? Haven't received any mail or notification of any recall, yet. Where can i find more information about the '09 F01/F02 recalls?
2009 750Li Mineral White - Sold
2009 750Li Titanium Silver
2011 xDrive35d Vermilion Red - Sold
2012 xDrive35d Vermilion Red
Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 AM
Y ask y? Ask y not!

Mein Auto: F02
I went to nhtsa.dot.gov website and didn't find any recall for 2009 7 series. This is where i normally go to check on recalls for BMW 7 series.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ship.JPG
Views:	825
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	203739  
2009 750Li Mineral White - Sold
2009 750Li Titanium Silver
2011 xDrive35d Vermilion Red - Sold
2012 xDrive35d Vermilion Red
Old 10-06-2009, 04:19 AM

I see you are from Northern VA...so I assume you got your car from Sterling BMW? Give them a call or where you got your car. My Invoice says "Customer Request Service Campaign...REPLACE ALL PLUGS AS PER SIB." My service advisor has always used the word "recall" and it may be some kind of internal BMW issue, something short of any government action. My car was produced around your time so I would think you need it. Maybe send your service advisor an email with link to this thread?

Let us know what you find out...can't be something unique to my car?
Old 10-06-2009, 04:35 AM

OK...you had me curious so I just got off the phone with my service advisor. He said it's a case by case basis...when my car was in the shop previously they ran what he called a "short test" and came back that my car needed it. He also said they had done a "bunch" of them. He is not sure if some cars got different plugs but thinks that may be the case.