Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-18-2015, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X3
BRAKE, 4X4, and Airbag light on after dead battery

The car battery died one night and had to jump start the car next morning. The clock had to be set again, and now all these lights are on:

1. Brake light (yellow)
2. 4X4 light
3. Airbag light

Has anyone gone through this. Appreciate your help.

Thanks
g
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2015, 05:22 AM
Freshly Addicted

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Start the car.
Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right until it stops.
Turn the wheel all the way to the left until it stops.
Return it to center.

Your lights should go out during this process, some say only to the full right is needed, but I do the full swing just in case. The car wants to see data from the steering position sensor for recalibration. Airbag light is a separate issue. you dont have anything sitting in the passenger seat do you?

Last edited by timgray; 02-19-2015 at 05:23 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:37 AM

Tim - I tried this after watching a youtube video, and per your post. The lights are still on.

There is nothing on the passenger seat with regards to the airbag light.

Any other thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray View Post
Start the car.
Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right until it stops.
Turn the wheel all the way to the left until it stops.
Return it to center.

Your lights should go out during this process, some say only to the full right is needed, but I do the full swing just in case. The car wants to see data from the steering position sensor for recalibration. Airbag light is a separate issue. you dont have anything sitting in the passenger seat do you?
Old 02-21-2015, 08:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
You may need to drive it up to 50MPH or more for it to get the wheel speed sensor calibration.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:56 AM

I am not sure I understand. Drive 50MPH and then try the trick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
You may need to drive it up to 50MPH or more for it to get the wheel speed sensor calibration.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:54 AM

Mein Auto: X3 E83 2004
warning lights reset after dead battery

Hi, am new to this forum today. Just noticed this thread. I had the exact same problem on Friday. I was resetting electric mirror issue and had disconected the neg lead to the battery As per advice form another forum. Anway same issue with dash lights on reconnection. I simply took car for a drive , never went above 30mph . Stopped a couple of times restarted engine and after about 20 mins it rectified itself

I,ve always worked on the theory that all cars are women and just need gently pampered and spoken to nicely and they work fine. On the other hand turn the steering wheel fully to the left then right , and restart the engine and it will work.

Btw it also resolved my dodgy drivers side wing mirror issuue
Old 02-22-2015, 08:49 AM

Quick update - I unplugged the battery this morning for about 20 min and then reconnected it. That did not fix the issue either. I have driven the car almost 200 miles already since the issue, and that didn't fix the issue either.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: X3
My 09 X3 had the same lights. Dealership said it was a faulty steering wheel sensor. And the diag they ran on it said it was showing it needed to have the transfer case fluid flushed and replaced. So I decided to have the fluid changed only. Lights havn't been on since. I cannot say for sure if this was the problem or not since I had them done on the same day. My lights were the yellow brake, 4x4 stability light and the airbag light. Dealership quoted me a price of under $800.00 for the steering wheel sensor but I decided to wait it out and see if the lights came back on after the fluid change. So far none of the lights have came back on. But since I talked about it I'm sure on my way home from work they will show up again.lol I even looked at the transfer case actuator moter gear and it was in great shape so I ruled that out for the time being.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachg View Post
I am not sure I understand. Drive 50MPH and then try the trick?
No just take it for a drive then shut it off.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbal View Post
My 09 X3 had the same lights. Dealership said it was a faulty steering wheel sensor. And the diag they ran on it said it was showing it needed to have the transfer case fluid flushed and replaced. So I decided to have the fluid changed only. Lights havn't been on since. I cannot say for sure if this was the problem or not since I had them done on the same day. My lights were the yellow brake, 4x4 stability light and the airbag light. Dealership quoted me a price of under $800.00 for the steering wheel sensor but I decided to wait it out and see if the lights came back on after the fluid change. So far none of the lights have came back on. But since I talked about it I'm sure on my way home from work they will show up again.lol I even looked at the transfer case actuator moter gear and it was in great shape so I ruled that out for the time being.

Did they turn on after a dead battery ?
Old 02-23-2015, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
My battery died on the way back from the dealer the day I bought the car; they came and picked it up, replaced the battery, and told me they had to replace the steering wheel angle sensor as well (due to battery failing). Warranty.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:42 PM

No mine came on after someone(me) hooked it up to a battery charger. Was told that when a BMW's battery voltage decreases and the computer has to compensate for it and adjusts itself computer wise and it can cause false reading and trigger a triad of lights . And I kept doing research till I found the steering wheel sensor trick. I did the steering wheel trick by turning the wheel right and left and they would go off for a while but after driving a bit they came back. This went on for about a month or so until I took it to have a diag test ran on it at the dealership. All three lights came on at the same time. Those three lights in that combo I would say could very well be the steering wheel sensor. I'm not a auto tech esp with this computerized piece of work but I couldn't take it anymore and paid 150.00 for the test at the dealership. No one in my area will touch a Beemer since they are so complicated to work on. Also when these lights were on my DTC wouldn't work.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:48 PM

Did you get a written fault diagnosis for your $150?
Old 02-23-2015, 04:55 PM

I got the computer print out of the codes along with the written estimate.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:23 PM
Freshly Addicted

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Search for "german auto" or Audi volkswagen or Mini Cooper indie repair shops, they will be glad to work on a BMW. Many small BMW shops are sued by BMW if they try and use the letters B, M, and W all together to try and protect the Dealerships money fountain.

That was my trouble at first finding a place, I had no idea that you can not search for "BMW repair" as BMW will not even let shops advertise that they work on them without sending angry lawyers out to punish anyone that uses those letters together.

Last edited by timgray; 02-23-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:24 PM

Ah I got you confused with the OP. Sounds like your issues are resolved.

If you are looking for your own code reader that can read the DSC, get the BMW C110 or C310 on eBay for about $50.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:41 PM

Yea I have the C110 and was able to turn off the codes but mine doesn't have a glossary book like my other OBDII had for all other makes and models.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
You may need a new battery.This happened to me 3 yrs ago .The car went into limp mode ,all the lites came on.I picked up a battery at Walmart and all has been good since. $110.