Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-20-2015, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3
Hey Guys after reseting the oil light, way of checking how many kms driven

Hey Guys after reseting the oil light is there a way of checking how many kms/miles you have driven since the reset. Thanks
Old 02-20-2015, 10:24 PM
roys4x4

Mein Auto: 06 X3,95LR Disco,90 F250
Smile mileage countdown

while watching the odometer turn your ignition key to "on", the remaining of the 15,000 mileage will show instead of the mileage driven for a very few seconds.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roys4x4 View Post
while watching the odometer turn your ignition key to "on", the remaining of the 15,000 mileage will show instead of the mileage driven for a very few seconds.
Thank-you I always wondered what the other readings were. I just thought it was a screwed-up odometer. I hate when things make one look stupid oh well I was just a C-student in school and still doing ok.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
The count down from 15k remaining does NOT count down at the same rate that miles accrue on the odometer. I do a lot of long highway driving (320 miles round trip once a week), and noticed that the "15,000" oil change interval translated into 18,500 actual miles driven. Luckily, I resort to the tried-and-true method of recording service in a maintenance log, change my oil every 5000 miles, which I've got timed down to be on the 5s and 10s of the odometer (90k, 95k, 100k, etc.), so being on top of maintenance is a no-brainer.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedkt442 View Post
The count down from 15k remaining does NOT count down at the same rate that miles accrue on the odometer. I do a lot of long highway driving (320 miles round trip once a week), and noticed that the "15,000" oil change interval translated into 18,500 actual miles driven. Luckily, I resort to the tried-and-true method of recording service in a maintenance log, change my oil every 5000 miles, which I've got timed down to be on the 5s and 10s of the odometer (90k, 95k, 100k, etc.), so being on top of maintenance is a no-brainer.
WE us e the X3 an average of 10kms per year, Now that I will be changing the oil I will be doing it twice a year Jan. and Aug. every year. If I left to the BMW oil indicator that would come on every two years. I would hate to think what the oil filter would look like after all it is made of paper.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:03 PM

BMW also says to change the oil once a year, regardless of miles.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedkt442 View Post

Just to clarify....

The counter is based on gallons of gas consumed NOT miles driven.

The statement above about long highway trips is true as you consume less gas per mile travelled.

I use my counter as reference but I change mine every decrease of 8k miles on the interval.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
Just to clarify....

The counter is based on gallons of gas consumed NOT miles driven.

The statement above about long highway trips is true as you consume less gas per mile travelled.

I use my counter as reference but I change mine every decrease of 8k miles on the interval.
Thanks; I'd always thought it was based on oil quality determined by algorithms based on miles traveled, speed, and engine starts, which would also stretch the clock, as highway miles are easier on oil that stop & go. Either way, the same end result is achieved, and would be opposed if lots of stop & go/traffic is encountered.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:18 AM
Freshly Addicted

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
It seems that outside temperatures also will change it. we have had -10 to 5 degrees F for the past 30 days and my counter is going down very rapidly compared to the exact same driving in warmer weather. Which would be right, all that cold will cause far more water retention in the oil and constitutes a "severe" driving condition.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6 Tisilver/gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray View Post
It seems that outside temperatures also will change it. we have had -10 to 5 degrees F for the past 30 days and my counter is going down very rapidly compared to the exact same driving in warmer weather. Which would be right, all that cold will cause far more water retention in the oil and constitutes a "severe" driving condition.
@ Timgray....FYI, colder temperatures usually translate into lower gas mileage; which would result in faster countdown on service miles.
If you have the PA Soft 1.4v software, you can go into the control modules & change the miles for oil service. I changed mine to go from about 15k miles to 6k.

BMW CCA #132981 Tarheel Chapter,
Old 02-23-2015, 10:36 AM
Freshly Addicted

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Rav31, do you know if you can reset the transfer case adaptations with Pa Soft 1.4?
Old 02-23-2015, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6 Tisilver/gray
Quote:
Rav31, do you know if you can reset the transfer case adaptations with Pa Soft 1.4?
I don't think it will but have never tried it. It will read the VTG module & display this, see pic, but I have not clicked on the reprograming tab. Can anyone else address this? I didn't worry about it as my local BMW tech. has a computer that will do the recalibration.

BMW CCA #132981 Tarheel Chapter,
Old 02-23-2015, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:

Nope. I have a Bavarian tech bmw scanner and can only read faults in the transfer case module.

Per the Bentley manual only a GT1 can do the reset. It is only needed though if your transfer case has tripped the fault code associated with worn fluid. The Bentley manual is vague but says only reset if necessary if fault has been tripped .

Personally I am at 167k on my 09 and have changed my transfer case fluid every 25k since brand new. I have never reset the code and never had an issue. YMMV....
Old 02-23-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav31 View Post
@ Timgray....FYI, colder temperatures usually translate into lower gas mileage; which would result in faster countdown on service miles.
If you have the PA Soft 1.4v software, you can go into the control modules & change the miles for oil service. I changed mine to go from about 15k miles to 6k.
Colder temperatures also mean that the engine is running longer before it reaches operating temperature, which creates more incompletely combusted particulate in the oil, thereby lowering its lifespan. An oil filter does not completely filter oil (hence oil turning black through use).

@Timgray: My C110 scanner has a provision for clearing adaptations, but I didn't go in to see if the t-case was one of them. Like X3Brian, I'm at 100k miles and have change the t-case fluid every 25k miles on the nose, never saw the light. From my understanding, it operates the same as a brake-wear indicator; as long as it is never tripped, you can keep it off perpetually, assuming maintenance is performed. Best way to turn the light off is to never let it turn on.