Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-19-2015, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: E83
Help me catch up on maintenance

Hey folks. First time poster here looking for some advice from the pros. Bought a 2004 X3 roughly a year ago with 52k miles on it in excellent condition. However, I don't have service logs so to be safe I need to do a bunch of stuff. Looking for some advice as to what order I should complete the following stuff in order of importance / urgency as as much as I'd love to, I can't afford it all at once. Any help is appreciated.

Brake fluid
Coolant flush
Power steering fluid
Transmission service
Differential fluid
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Drive belts

Again, thanks for any help on this. Wish I knew this stuff myself, but perhaps in time.
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2015, 04:08 PM
TA

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 525i
You really don't need to do the fuel filter at this point. It is in the gas tank an integral with the pump. I would add Transfer Case fluid to the list. Consider replace the coolant hoses as their life is related to both thime & mileage.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
That's very low miles for an '04. Wonder why? Most owners like to drive them long and hard at every opportunity.

In view of that, instead of your list, maybe this:

- Transfer case fluid replacement ('04 might still have factory fill of Dexron III ATF - get that out ASAP and use the BMW Power Divider Fluid that was introduced in 2005)
- Clean sunroof drains
- Make sure window moldings are soft and pliable and don't cause the windows to open with a crack because they stick (or you will soon be replacing the drive dogs)
- Check belt tensioner and deflection pulleys (belts themselves might still be fine)
- Check engine air filter and cabin microfilter
- Monitor cooling system closely as some components might be approaching end-of-life based on years rather than miles
- Check all round the valve cover for signs of oil leaks, especially at back where you cannot eyeball it
- Check for oil leak below oil filter housing
- Watch for signs of oil separator degradation if low miles were result of trips to school and mall and no highway runs
- Monitor front struts for signs of leakage

Save up your money, as unless brakes and tires were done just before you bought they will be coming up for replacement soon I would think.
You don't have to wait for dash light as only two of the wheels have sensors and pad wear can be uneven, inboard to outboard.
Do brake fluid every 2 years or so. Check for broken pigtails on rear springs at same time.
PAS fluid, spark plugs, fuel filter can wait until closer to 100K.

It's all well worth the time and $$$$.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: E83
Appreciate the responses. I have already had the transfer case fluid changed and replaced the cabin and entire air filters myself last week. Couple questions..

I was listing these based off of of Bav Auto's maintenance checklist. Is the stuff I listed really not needed at this point?
Window moldings, are you just referring to where the bottom of the window meets the door? Just ordered some einszett gummi pflege stift so I'd imagine I could just use some of that?

I don't mind spending a couple grand spread out over a couple months to complete the list I mentioned, as to prevent a repair bill of 25k like another poster down the road, just not sure which order to go about it, especially with winter on the horizon.

And you're spot on about tires, but I will be buying some winter tires within the next month anyways so that's covered.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
The gummi pflege is the real deal for where the glass meets the rubber and the flocking. Can be used on either material. Smells good, too.

When the window is up it seems to bond with the material a bit too much so keeping that clean and soft helps avoid stressing the window motor and regulator when the glass goes down.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: bmw++many
FEST maint links

good bedtime read, study and inwardly digest FEST maintenance links

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=450779

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=457330

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search