Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 95 M3
Fusible Link Location ????

While working in the engine bay of my 95 M3, with the battery still connected, I shorted the smaller wire in the B+ distribution point in the passenger side of the engine bay. There are no fuses here and apparently there is a fusible link in the battery cable itself. All I was able to find online was that it should be no more than 50 cm from the battery. Does anyone know exactly where the fusible link is located in the battery cable on a 95 M3. From my battery I have two positive wires, one approximately 0 gauge and the other is maybe 16 gauge. The 0 gauge wire is still providing power but the 16 gauge is not. Any help would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2009, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 95 M3
In case anyone cares the fusible link on the 95 M3 is located about two feet away from the battery along the smaller power cable inside the trunk just before it passes through to the back seat. The smaller wire and the larger wire were wrapped with a heat shrink tubing like plastic where the fusible link was located. The link was definitely blown and needs to be replaced but what was BMW thinking. For me it was fairly easy as all of the upholstery in the trunk was already removed but for most people this would require completely dismantling the trunk only to find a fuse that cannot be replaced without unsoldering the old one and resoldering the new one. I guess I am off to the local stereo store for a cheap fuse holder that will work infinitely better then what BMW came up with.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:35 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Good to find the fuseable link. BMW expects that if you are working on your car that you remove the battery cables. I can see why now. I watched my younger newly married brother wearing a gold wedding ring weld that to the positive 6V battery and a ground right after I told him he might want to take his watch and ring off. Things happen the good news is that you found the link....
Old 09-04-2010, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: 95 BMW 525i
How many fusible links??

I have a 1995, 525i, E34 I found a fusible link next to battery, but looking in service manual electrical diagram, I see two fusible links. Am I seeing correctly? Where is the second fusible link located? Any help.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 AM
"I wanna go fast"

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
I also have a 95 525i and I'm curious about the second fusible link location... I've searched and have come up with nothing!