Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 06-23-2009, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG
soon-to-be Z4 owner wants to know

Just ordered my Z4. A 35i in space gray metallic with extended red leather and the 7-speed auto trans.

A few years back when I ordered my SLK55 AMG (which the Z4 is replacing) I was able to track it precisely through production and shipment through a website not linked to M-B's. I knew when it was on the truck to the dealership. Does anyone know if this is possible with bimmers?

(I know about bmwusa.com's vehicle tracker but that only gives you approximations: ordered, in production, etc.)

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 06-23-2009, 02:14 PM
F e s t S p o n s o r

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
The dealer is the only one how can really track it like you stated. The only thing I have heard is calling a 800# and you can get updates. And you can follow the ship up to some point with link below.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/
Old 06-23-2009, 05:41 PM

tracking a BMW

Thanks for that reply, Jim.

Actually, I had been told the same thing about my SLK: the dealer is the only one who can track, etc. But the dealer told me he couldn't and didn't even know about the website I ended up using (the address of which, unfortunately, I've lost).

Have you, as a dealer, tracked new BMW arrivals like I did with my SLK? If so, how? Through BMW or a 3rd party?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Wink

Hey Eriel,
I can't believe you called it an automatic 7 speed (even though it does automatically operate) It's a dual clutch transmission (with a real clutch(s)) automatics don't have those.... but wait, it automatically shifts also... ouch, I'm confusing myself....

I have one on order too. It's completed manufacturing and awaiting transportation.... ETA unknown....

I've ordered silver with the ivory leather... sdrive35i w/DCT...
Old 06-23-2009, 07:21 PM

MoPro, BMW's own press release calls it a "sport auto 7 speed," as does every road test I've read. Typical: "BMW estimates the sDrive 35i with the automatic scoots from zero to 60 mph in 5.0 seconds, 0.1-second more quickly than the 35i with six-speed manual. And the automatic gets slightly better fuel mileage..." (Motor Trend).

I considered titanium silver but it's too close to my SLK's iridium silver.

Sounds like you're about a month away from the big day. How are you tracking it? At bmwusa? Was your dealer able to give you any more precise info? May you have a speedy delivery. Please share your first driving impressions.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:37 AM
F e s t S p o n s o r

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriel View Post
Thanks for that reply, Jim.

Actually, I had been told the same thing about my SLK: the dealer is the only one who can track, etc. But the dealer told me he couldn't and didn't even know about the website I ended up using (the address of which, unfortunately, I've lost).

Have you, as a dealer, tracked new BMW arrivals like I did with my SLK? If so, how? Through BMW or a 3rd party?

Thanks.
As a dealer we just go in data base and see what stage the car is in. But can only do it on cars WE have in system.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW Z-4 35 i
I ordered my Z-4 - Orion Silver, Red Extended Leather - Stick - Preimum, BMW asist, Nav. Ordered it June 11th - my dealer tracked it thru the build process- to shipping - to its delivery at Port Newark - supposed to be at the Dealer this coming Tuesday - should have it soon after that. The only option at delivery time is: Warantee on tires - roughly 900 plus tax - covers tire problems - seems the run flat tires can not be fixed if you get a flat - and at 400 dollars a tire - are expensive - however I also assume they will "pro-rate" the tire - so its probably only good if you get a flat in the first year or so - - the extended Warantee for two more years - (total of 6 years, and 100,000 miles) is around 2,200 and can be bought at any time with in the first 4 years - but at the current price - (they just had a price increase - so who knows when the next one will happen) - The Tire warantee also covers RIMS - but not for cosmetic problems - only if the rim is BENT or cant hold air !

I will post some photos - once the unit arrives -

Phil
Old 07-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 135i
Yes you can track the car, in fact I know that there have been quite a few threads on bimmerfest dedicated to tracking of your car! I would start with a forum search and then take it from there
Old 07-18-2009, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: Mixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPro View Post
Hey Eriel,
I can't believe you called it an automatic 7 speed (even though it does automatically operate) It's a dual clutch transmission (with a real clutch(s)) automatics don't have those.... but wait, it automatically shifts also... ouch, I'm confusing myself....
LOL - a little off subject, but the clutches for the DTC "manual" actually have more in common with a conventional automatic transmission wet clutch pack than a conventional manual transmission dry clutch.

My guess is the the only reason they call it a "dual clutch manual", as there's really nothing manual (i.e., gear selector with linkage) about it, is because people will get confused when the word "automatic" is used.

Due to DTC's efficiency some are saying the DTC will replace a conventional "automatic" transmissions in most applications within a few years.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Motors View Post
That is one cool link!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i and 2009 Z435i
Lucky you

You will love your new Z4. I purchased my new Z4 35i and picked it up in Munich at the BMW Welt. Traveled Europe for a week. Greatest time ever!!!

Dropped it off in Frankfurt and it arrived at my dealer 3 weeks ago.

As far as tracking, I tried to find other sources to track the progress of my Z4 as well as my 2008 535xi. The BMW owners site is very basic. When the car reaches the shipping port, your dealer can provide you with the shipping info. You can then go to that shipping line's website and track the ship's progress. There are also gps tracking sites that you can go to and follow the exact position of the ship as it proceeds across the Atlantic.

Enjoy you Z4. Good luck.

JHAWK Z
Old 08-03-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAWK Z View Post
You will love your new Z4. I purchased my new Z4 35i and picked it up in Munich at the BMW Welt. Traveled Europe for a week. Greatest time ever!!!

Dropped it off in Frankfurt and it arrived at my dealer 3 weeks ago.

As far as tracking, I tried to find other sources to track the progress of my Z4 as well as my 2008 535xi. The BMW owners site is very basic. When the car reaches the shipping port, your dealer can provide you with the shipping info. You can then go to that shipping line's website and track the ship's progress. There are also gps tracking sites that you can go to and follow the exact position of the ship as it proceeds across the Atlantic.

Enjoy you Z4. Good luck.

JHAWK Z
How long did it take to get back to the States after your dropped it off in Europe?