Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 08-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
2002 530i cassette conversion?

I own a 2002 530i with nav and factory upgraded sound system. The only way to get a cd player was to put a 6 disk changer in the trunk, which I have done. Behind the nav screen is a cassette tape deck which I have never and will never use. My question is this....is there a way to convert the cassette to a single or multiple cd player??

If anyone has done this, or is also contemplating it please post any info you may have on this.

Thank you all!
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2003, 10:06 AM
Trying to top 1K posts...

Mein Auto: 89 E30 325i, 97 E39 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maik
I own a 2002 530i with nav and factory upgraded sound system. The only way to get a cd player was to put a 6 disk changer in the trunk, which I have done. Behind the nav screen is a cassette tape deck which I have never and will never use. My question is this....is there a way to convert the cassette to a single or multiple cd player??

If anyone has done this, or is also contemplating it please post any info you may have on this.

Thank you all!
People have performed the swap on non-NAV systems by easily installing the Business CD unit, but for the unit behind the NAV screen, I haven't heard of anyone doing so. See if you can send a Private Message to DanB as he might know.

E39 DIY Site: BMWdiy.INFO
E30 DIY Site: E30.BMWdiy.INFO
BMWTips: BMWTips.com

Old 08-29-2003, 08:54 AM
Who?

Mein Auto: 540i
Cassette player replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietsb
See if you can send a Private Message to DanB as he might know.
I sent a PM to DanB, but never heard back about this project. But I too am very interested in this conversion from a cassette player to perhaps the business CD slave unit?

The only problem I can see is that the CD slave unit does not have the exterior sound controls. But other than that, I wonder if it will fit properly?

Does anyone have anymore information as to whether or not it will work?
Old 08-29-2003, 07:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 540i6 Jet Black/Black
i too am in a simliar position w/ my '03 540i 6spd w/ NAV, DSP (and a cassette player behind the nav screen).

i know that the '03 E46s have a NAV unit w/ a CD player. the screens look similar, but i don't know if the rest of the head unit is compatible (esp. w/ DSP in the E39), but i wonder if you could "swap out" some or all of what's behind the NAV screen w/ a unit from an E46??