Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive Sedan
Another HPFP question.lol

I've been reading numerous posts from people who have had their HPFP replaced on here and a few of the other enthusiast websites. Most of the problems seem to be with the 335, but as the 135 has the same engine, it didn't surprise me when I started reading posts by 135 owners who fell victim to the HPFP issue as well. Does anyone know if the issue is as widespread amongst 135 owners, as it is amongth 335 owners? I know it might only be a problem for 20 to 30 percent of the people who have this engine, but it's really worrying me in regards to ordering a 135. I've read some posts where people have said the problem MAY have been fixed for cars built after March 2009, but is there any solid proof of that? I'd feel a lot more comfortable ordering a 135, which I absolutely adore, if this wasn't truly an ongoing problem. I was originally planning on getting the 335, but really fell in love with the 135 after test driving it. Both cars are phenomenal, but the 135 just really rocked by socks, and it's quite a bit less expensive to boot. The 128 is quite entertaining as well, though obviously not as mindblowingly fast as the 135, but I might go in that direction if the HPFP issue really is as big a deal as some have said. To those of you who have had it replaced, how long was it in the shop for the repair? Have any of the 2009 owners gotten the extended HPFP warranty letter in the mail from BMW, or are they still only sending it to people who own 2008s. Well, thank you so much for any and all info you can provide. I know I probably sound like a worry wart, but I really don't want to invest in a new car if there's going to be an inherent problem.
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2009, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Its probably hard to draw any conclusions about whether the issue is more prevalent in the 135, 335, or 535. 535i owners have been very vocal about it, but I've seen it discussed in the 335 forums, and less so in the 135 forums. Could be that more people hang out in the 335 and 535 forums.

The fact is that the N54 engine in all models and years out so far uses the same basic HP pump. The 2007 and 2008 models were known to have a higher failure rate until BMW came out with a newer pump design (same basic pump with a new part number) and that was used as a replacement in older models that experienced failures, and newer models (i.e. 2009 and later).

The extended warranty letter went out to the 2007/2008 owners whose vehicles had the older pumps.

Its entirely possible that the 2009 and newer models could still have issues. Just not as many on the road and enough failures reported yet to warrant an extension of the warranty. That's not to say BMW wouldn't extend the warranty on those models should the problem continue.

Finally, I doubt seriously if the failure rate on the earlier models is as high as 20-30%.

I knew of the pump issue back in Jan 2008 when I was researching prior to ordering my 535i. My sales advisor even acknowledged the issue, although she said BMW had resolved the problem by then with a modified pump design. In fact they had not fully solved the issue, or prior to redesigning the pump, BMW was fixing failed pumps with rebuilt ones - only to have them fail again.

I wish I could rest your fears about buying an N54 equipped car. I love mine, and have not had a single fuel system related issue in 16 months. Doesn't mean I won't or that I'm not concerned about it. But I don't loose sleep over it either. If I were shopping today, yes - I would be thinking twice about an N54 equipped car... But would I ultimately buy one? I think I probably would, knowing BMW will likely stand behind the fuel pump even without the extended warranty. I don't think BMWNA would want to get any more negative press about this issue down the road. It simply isn't worth the hit to their reputation. Basically the N54 is a sweet engine in my opinion. It just needs to mature a little more in a couple of areas. The N55 is right on its heels, but I'm not sure if it uses an entirely different HPFP. It does have a high pressure fuel delivery system.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
My 135 was built 6/08 and I didn't get the 10 year warranty letter but someone with a 5/08 build posted they did. In any case I've had no problems. There is no way the problem could affect 20-30% of the N54 engines imo. The question in my mind is does the owner's behaviour have anything to do with the failures ? I have heard speculation that people who drive hard are more prone to failure. Then there is the ethanol question. I'm using Chevron and for "belt and suspenders" adding techron every 5,000 miles. If I don't have a problem it will prove nothing but if I do then maybe it is not related to fuel.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Porsche got the 911 right ( after they tried everything else lol )
Old 06-26-2009, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren View Post
I'm using Chevron and for "belt and suspenders" adding techron every 5,000 miles. If I don't have a problem it will prove nothing but if I do then maybe it is not related to fuel.
I don't use any "user added" gas additives. I just stick with top tier fuels which already have more than the minimum required detergents (Shell, Chevron, Texaco). I like the brands that advertise they already contain Techron.

I worry more about high ethanol content, as its well known that ethanol in higher concentrations than 10% could cause problems with seals and cause corrosion. Pumps here say gas contains 10% ethanol, but there's no way to know if at any given moment what you are pumping has more or less. And government doesn't regularly sample and test for validity of the claimed blend.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:29 AM

Thanks for all the information you've provided. It seems like I'm just going to have to roll the dice and take the risk if I really want the car. I've tried over and over to convince myself to go with the non-turbo engine of the 128/328, as that would eliminate the possibility of having to deal with a HPFP failure, but the difference in throttle response in the auto versions I've been test driving is just too much. The turbo just knocks you back into your seat off of the line and it sounds amazing. The 128/328 is definitely not slow, but at the very bottom end of acceleration there's a hesitation I don't feel comfortable with. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. Does anyone know the cut-off date for ordering a 2009? I've heard different time frames from dealers?
Old 06-27-2009, 02:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdeckard View Post
Thanks for all the information you've provided. It seems like I'm just going to have to roll the dice and take the risk if I really want the car. I've tried over and over to convince myself to go with the non-turbo engine of the 128/328, as that would eliminate the possibility of having to deal with a HPFP failure, but the difference in throttle response in the auto versions I've been test driving is just too much. The turbo just knocks you back into your seat off of the line and it sounds amazing. The 128/328 is definitely not slow, but at the very bottom end of acceleration there's a hesitation I don't feel comfortable with. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. Does anyone know the cut-off date for ordering a 2009? I've heard different time frames from dealers?
Is there any reason that you are compelled to place an order for a MY 2009? One more year may help you get to a place of better/clearer understanding of the extent of the problem and whether BMW has been able to truly fix it. My personal circumstance is that I don't have a burning reason to get a car and so, I am waiting to see what BMW is able to do about the HPFP problem. There are BFers who have 2009 cars that are still experiencing HPFP failures, so I wouldn't presume that the problem has been completely resolved. If the problems with the HPFP are related to ethanol content in the gas, then I personally don't see ethanol content dropping below 10% anytime soon, so one more data point for a decision.

How risk-averse are you? If the prospect of HPFP problems is not something you want to deal with in your car, then I would think that the decision is made for you; if you are okay with having the car go into limp mode (most likely when you can least afford it to go into limp mode - Murphy's law), then you probably should go ahead with placing an order.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:50 PM

You make a lot of good points. There are a few reasons I was planning on ordering a 2009, before the production changes over to 2010. The first is that the dealer is willing to sell me an ordered car at $200 over invoice, which I don't think would be the same with a 2010, especially if it's ordered. In my area, the 135s that most dealers seem to keep on the lot are completely overloaded with options that I don't want, so an order is a must. Secondly, my current car recently died, so I really do need to get a car in the not too distant future. For the time being I've been borrowing a family member's car for routine stuff and using mass transit as usual for commuting. I completely agree with you about the Murphy's Law scenario, but maybe I'd get lucky for once.lol If the HPFP rate was a higher percentage, like 40% or more of owners, then I'd definitely take it off my list, but if it's a much smaller number, as people on here have alluded to, I might take the risk. After all, most of the other cars I've researched on the web which I've been interested in also seem to have some sort of inherent problem or low reliability rating. That's the positive/negative about the web. It's easy to find out lots of information about people's experiences with a particular car, but so much of what is posted is from people with bad experiences, even if the reality of those problems is much lower than you would expect from the posts. As for the 2010 135, there's just as much of a chance that BMW will not have solved the problem for that model either, as they haven't been able to fix it from 2007 till now. I know it sounds like I'm asking for trouble by rolling the dice, but I just love the way the turbo engine accelerates and sounds. The 370z that I was also seriously contemplating has an inherent problem with desperately needing an oil cooler, that Nissan will not let you put in aftermarket without voiding the warranty. In that case, the number of cars going into limp mode is incredibly high with just basic hard driving or driving when it's hot out. The A4 Quattro I like has it's own set of problems as well. I don't if I'm just drawn to cars with "issues", lol, or if they're just more common amongst sporty cars that are driven hard. Either way, thank you again for the advice.