Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E21 (1975 - 1983)

E21 (1975 - 1983)

Old 06-26-2009, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: nothing
Aternator trouble.

So I go camping, and run my car in the mountains of Tennessee, USA. Dragon Run, Route 129. A great run.
On the second day, the engine lost power, and engine eventually "dies". The alternator isn't charging the battery. So I get it towed to a garage, and the mechanic installs anew alternator and says it's charging at 13.8 amps. Cool, I drive off playing the radio, back to the campsite and I get 20 miles and engine lost power, and engine eventually "dies", again. Mechanic gets car back, installs another and the same thing happens. I towed it home and it sits in my garage. .

Now tell me. I have owned this car for 22 years, I replaced the alternator 2 times already... in 1989, and 1999.... Installing an alternator, it's plug and play. WTF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3601992215_9430ef25ba_b.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	191106  
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2009, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: nothing
I fixed the alternator. Just like I remember, a plug and play device , that's the alternator. I guess, the mechanic overlooked a broken ground cable that I found. Probably broke it off when he took off the alternator. A common oversight.... rather dark down there... need a light stick.
It's the fat ground cable from the the engine to the back of the alternator (neg side). It broke at the metal circle crimped at the wire's end. A common oversight.... The BMW is easy to work on. Why would I get rid of this car? I love It!
Anyway, I be riding tonight.

Last edited by unicorn; 06-27-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:42 AM

Mein Auto: E46 & E21
A couple days late for me.
But, the same thing happened to me on my e21.
Some chaffed wires and caused a lot of headache from that alternator. And were hard to see also.
BTW, your e21 looks amazing!
Mine is begging for some work... I cannot bring myself to just get rid of it though.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to dictator Send a message via Yahoo to dictator
Mein Auto: 1982 BMW 320iS
also get the battery tested. my alternator went out three times and it was partially because the battery was crap. mind you this was a fairly new battery (7 months or so) id also get that checked out.