Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
You can get the Terra leather in 135i
I know people have, but my CA said it greatly depends on the time of production. Maybe he was wrong.

I just love Saddle Brown and Terra.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
So what does your wife look like?
You're comparing your wife to a hunk of metal? Let's be serious, how often do you look at your car? As mine is an e90 I do my best not to look at it. Literally, go the garage get in and drive. The exterior of it is irrelevant as it's a means to two ends: fun and transportation. Neither my my fun nor my transportation willbe altered if it's sexy as a hell (Cayman) or Buicky (3 series). So all the hand wringing over the 1 series to me seems silly. Your car, as long as it's clean and not excessive in any way, will not determine, gain or retain for you a promotion, a lover, a vacation, admiration, envy, hate or anything else people want to believe a car is a cure or panacea for.

Who we are doesn't come from a disposable toy.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
You're comparing your wife to a hunk of metal? Let's be serious, how often do you look at your car? As mine is an e90 I do my best not to look at it. Literally, go the garage get in and drive. The exterior of it is irrelevant as it's a means to two ends: fun and transportation. Neither my my fun nor my transportation willbe altered if it's sexy as a hell (Cayman) or Buicky (3 series). So all the hand wringing over the 1 series to me seems silly. Your car, as long as it's clean and not excessive in any way, will not determine, gain or retain for you a promotion, a lover, a vacation, admiration, envy, hate or anything else people want to believe a car is a cure or panacea for.

Who we are doesn't come from a disposable toy.
While it may seem "silly" to you, it's a bit odd to assume your feelings are applicable to the vast majority of car buyers, or for you to express your disdain to others who do admire/consider styling in a car. Style and design matter. It matters a lot. Otherwise, guys like Bangle would not get a second mention, and all cars would look alike, right? What was all that hubub about when the new 7-series came out (nearly a decade ago now!!). Yup, it was about style.

BTW, I'm unashamed to admit, I LOVE the way my car looks. I admire it every single time I see it. It's a pretty big part of why I bought it, too.

Admittedly, it's hugely subjective. I'm sure you agree to that! I think the E92 (coupe ONLY) is stunning. It catches my eye like no other car on the road. The 1 is a toad in comparison. Every time I see one, I think there's no way I'd ever buy one. But then I see I can get a 135 for less than a 328, and I start trying really hard to believe the kinds of things you're saying (about styling, anyway). That's my dilema, at least.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
I love the look of the 1! I also loved the look of my 2002, Toyota Corolla FX16, and even to some extent my MX-5. I also think the Kia Soul is pretty hot too. I'm pretty sure that none of my friends will like my 135i when I get it. But I have great tastes in cars and form must always follow function. The 1 is a seriously well designed small car. It has ample room, doesn't take up a lot of space on the planet, can blow off most cars on the road, and I'd bet it handles a lot better than my Mazda.

I know a lot of people who drive those creepy looking Corvettes that weigh 3 tons but hardly have enough room for midgets in them and also those wierdo floating around in their creeky Mustangs. What a joy it'll be to blow past them in a real automobile!
Old 07-01-2009, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 135i
Well - a C6 'vette is actually lighter than a 135i - it comes in around 200 lbs less - but the interiors suffer a bit (and they have improved, just not to European standards yet). A plain-jane 'vette comes with 400+ hp now so watch out.

As far as Mustangs are concerned, you should be able to blow a stock Mustang GT into the weeds, but then who owns a 'stock' Mustang. ; -)
Old 07-01-2009, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, X5 3.0, 986S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestCS View Post
I love the look of the 1! I also loved the look of my 2002, Toyota Corolla FX16, and even to some extent my MX-5. I also think the Kia Soul is pretty hot too. I'm pretty sure that none of my friends will like my 135i when I get it. But I have great tastes in cars and form must always follow function. The 1 is a seriously well designed small car. It has ample room, doesn't take up a lot of space on the planet, can blow off most cars on the road, and I'd bet it handles a lot better than my Mazda.

I know a lot of people who drive those creepy looking Corvettes that weigh 3 tons but hardly have enough room for midgets in them and also those wierdo floating around in their creeky Mustangs. What a joy it'll be to blow past them in a real automobile!
3 tons corvettes that look creepy?? 1 ton = 2240 lb.
Nothing personal, but I highly doubt that you know a lot about cars.
By the way, that Miata handles very nicely, and more power does not mean the car will handle better.
Oh one more thing: don't read consumer report for their advice, they probably know less about cars.

Last edited by jtm964; 07-01-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by damyankee View Post
Admittedly, it's hugely subjective. I'm sure you agree to that! I think the E92 (coupe ONLY) is stunning. It catches my eye like no other car on the road. The 1 is a toad in comparison. Every time I see one, I think there's no way I'd ever buy one.
So funny, looks really are subjective. I have the completely opposite response.
I saw a 135 on my drive home today and thought it was awesome. Whenever I see a 3-series coupe I think it looks too long and too bulky for such a useless back seat.

But then, I drive an X3 and love it! So, perhaps my tastes are just a bit off...

-James
Seattle, WA
Old 07-01-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
I saw a 135 on my drive home today and thought it was awesome. Whenever I see a 3-series coupe I think it looks too long and too bulky for such a useless back seat.

But then, I drive an X3 and love it! So, perhaps my tastes are just a bit off...

-James
Seattle, WA
I had a X3 loaner a couple times. Both times I felt the X3 was smaller (in total size) and was easier to park. So yes, you the E92 does seem quite large for it's intended use. But then again some people don't care.

135i simply feels like a perfect fit. Might seem a bit awkward from the exterior, but it's how the car drives that really matters 99.5% of the time IMO.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by damyankee View Post
While it may seem "silly" to you, it's a bit odd to assume your feelings are applicable to the vast majority of car buyers, or for you to express your disdain to others who do admire/consider styling in a car. Style and design matter. It matters a lot. Otherwise, guys like Bangle would not get a second mention, and all cars would look alike, right? What was all that hubub about when the new 7-series came out (nearly a decade ago now!!). Yup, it was about style.

BTW, I'm unashamed to admit, I LOVE the way my car looks. I admire it every single time I see it. It's a pretty big part of why I bought it, too.

Admittedly, it's hugely subjective. I'm sure you agree to that! I think the E92 (coupe ONLY) is stunning. It catches my eye like no other car on the road. The 1 is a toad in comparison. Every time I see one, I think there's no way I'd ever buy one. But then I see I can get a 135 for less than a 328, and I start trying really hard to believe the kinds of things you're saying (about styling, anyway). That's my dilema, at least.

Never had a problem with the bangle 7. It was ugly like all 7s before it and since. The intent of the 7 isn't sexy. I get people buy based on looks. Doesn't mean I understand it or can relate to that.

How much time do you really spend looking at your car v. driving it? I was once on a test drive and the salesman pointed out that some buildings we were passing allowed us to see our reflection. I exploded in laughter. He admitted that sales tactic actually worked for many people - as if the site of themselves in a car convinced them to buy it. to what end? As long a car isn't too outrageous (good or bad) it won't result in a promotion, a longterm lover or world peace. In the end it's just a depreciating asset that will be replaced in 2-3 years by another car.

The 1's appearance to me is pleasing because it's more function follows form. It reminds me of the e30, a car I associate with near perfect size/shape. I find the upright greenhouse pleasing - it seems made for driving - and I like the stubby features with the short overhangs - wheels on the edges. In the end though I won't buy one based on looks. If I ever get one (in 2-3 years or so when my 335i is probably sold) it'll be for the same reason I bought my ZHP, Cooper and even the 335i - I'll enjoy driving it and it will fit my perceived needs at the time.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm964 View Post
3 tons corvettes that look creepy?? 1 ton = 2240 lb.
Nothing personal, but I highly doubt that you know a lot about cars.
By the way, that Miata handles very nicely, and more power does not mean the car will handle better.
Oh one more thing: don't read consumer report for their advice, they probably know less about cars.
I get a kick out of guys like you. When you don't have anything to say, you attack the poster or me.

I know more about cars and machinery than most men on the planet! However, what really says I know a lot about cars is that over my lifetime, I've only owned four! The reason for that is I picked cars that had all of the important qualities for true driving enjoyment. Here's my list:

BMW 2002
Toyota Corolla FX16
1999 Mazda Miata Sports Pkg
And currently 2006 Mazda NC

The only mistake on that list is the NC. It isn't that great a car. It had (I fixed it) soft suspension, and the steering feel leaves a lot to be desired.

With the purchase of the 135i, I believe I'll be back on track. And you! Just how many cars have you owned and your reasons for getting rid of them? Most cars will easily give 10+ years to their owners. Unfortunately many Americans are so bored or dissatisfied with their lives they try to find pleasure in their material possessions or constantly searching for new toys like car.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
You can get the Terra leather in 135i
Yes, that or Lemon. You just need to special order it as a Priority One option.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Most cars will easily give 10+ years to their owners. Unfortunately many Americans are so bored or dissatisfied with their lives they try to find pleasure in their material possessions or constantly searching for new toys like car.
Or a lease ends. Or your family situation changes. Or you move. Or your economic situation changes. Or your job/commute changes and that requires a different car for some reason. Or maybe you just like variety.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I get a kick out of guys like you. When you don't have anything to say, you attack the poster or me.

I know more about cars and machinery than most men on the planet! However, what really says I know a lot about cars is that over my lifetime, I've only owned four! The reason for that is I picked cars that had all of the important qualities for true driving enjoyment.
Not trying to attack anyone. Consumer report is not the place for true car guys. 1 ton=2240 lb.
If you trully know and appreciate cars, you won't say anything to put down corvettes and mustangs.
As for how many cars I have owned, I have owned a lot and its not your business to judge, as long as I have the means to pay for them.
Its people like you that cannot take any others opinion that is sad, you like to write stupid comments about other cars/drivers and yet your feeling is hurt when you receive criticism as a result.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Driver

Mein Auto: The Ultimate Driving Mach
You dont really buy a Bimmer for looks. When you drive a bimmer it says prestige. It does most everything better than any other car.

With that said I'm considering a 1er myself because it does look better and my 3. My 3 is soo BLAND!
Old 07-02-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335bhak View Post
You dont really buy a Bimmer for looks. When you drive a bimmer it says prestige. It does most everything better than any other car.

With that said I'm considering a 1er myself because it does look better and my 3. My 3 is soo BLAND!
I consider the uniqueness a quality of "looks". This is why the 1-series is favorable in my book.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
You dont really buy a Bimmer for looks. When you drive a bimmer it says prestige.
If you study the history of the company, you'll understand that that's an invention of the US marketing arm (prestige that is). I bought the BMW for the engineering - especially the drivetrain. The N54B30 engine is a truly outstanding piece of hardware.

The best book I have in the library on BMW is Horst Moennich's, "The BMW Story: A Company In Its Time". It's out of print but still available through used book sellers. Worth the effort to find and read.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
I would word some of these points a bit differently. It may be possible to impress somebody with your vehicle and get a date but if that is all they like about you, it will not be worth your time. The same thing is true about a job or promotion. If your car is the reason somebody wants to do something for you, something is wrong. On the other hand, I haven't gotten rid of my daughters high school/college car(I bought her a new Hyundai last year). It is a 1995 Plymouth Acclaim with purple paint that is in bad shape and cigarette burns in the drivers seat (from the first owner, a grandmother of a neighbor). It is unrealistic to expect to be responded to in the same way driving this Acclaim and a new BMW. My SUV will become my spare car this month when I get my BMW so the reason to keep the Acclaim will be gone and it will go. The Acclaim serves the same purpose as the BMW and is a lot more practical but I do not feel the same way in it and it isn't reasonable to expect other people to either.

It seems entirely healthy to me to buy a car because you like it. You like the way it looks, you like the way it drives. It doesn't seem healthy to buy a car because you think somebody will like you better if you buy it. There are plenty of choices in cars so you can easily have one you think looks good and drives good. I wouldn't buy a car I didn't like the looks of. And I think the 1 looks better than the 3. But those that think otherwise are not wrong, they just have a different idea of what a car should look like. It's great that we can both have what we prefer.

Jim
Old 07-02-2009, 06:06 PM
BMWCCA Member #405750

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post

-James
Seattle, WA
I am an owner of a E92 and I have to say that the backseat is not useless. My 15 year old is 6'1" and he fits back there quite comfortably and always comments on how surprised he is to do so.

2011 Alpine White BMW M3 Coupe 6-speed Manual w/ ZCP.
2008 Alpine White 328i Coupe 6-speed Manual/ BMW Performance Exhaust/ M6 Wheels. (Retired)
Future owner of a Jetson's fold-up briefcase car. So I can TRULY park worry free.
"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
Old 07-02-2009, 08:02 PM

One other thing about perceived prestige. It's about on a par with styling - very subjective in most cases (only at the extremes is there unanimity). So, if you wander into the PCA meeting extolling the prestige of your BMW, they laugh. Or, if you hang around a bunch of Lotus owners (race cars and street cars) they accuse you of driving a porker. You show up and flash the key fob for your BMW at a Bugatti Club meeting and they'll say, "Oh good! The help has arrived". ; -)

Last edited by atr_hugo; 07-02-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: A little nip & tuck.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:19 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
One other thing about perceived prestige. It's about on a par with styling - very subjective in most cases (only at the extremes is there unanimity). So, if you wander into the PCA meeting extolling the prestige of your BMW, they laugh. Or, if you hang around a bunch of Lotus owners (race cars and street cars) they accuse you of driving a porker. You show up and flash the key fob for your BMW at a Bugatti Club meeting and they'll say, "Oh good! The help has arrived". ; -)
So true. In socal BMWs are given out as door prizes at Ralph's.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm964 View Post
Not trying to attack anyone. Consumer report is not the place for true car guys. 1 ton=2240 lb.
A ton is 2000 lbs, here in the US. Not sure who uses the 2240 lb ton, the Navy? I agree about Consumer Reports, they are only useful to get a general idea of reliability. Even that is skewed since it relies on members, who tend to be Honda/Toyota lovers.

I like the 1 series, probably since it looks like the E46 coupe. Not an E90 or E92 fan.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
A ton is 2000 lbs, here in the US. Not sure who uses the 2240 lb ton, the Navy? I agree about Consumer Reports, they are only useful to get a general idea of reliability. Even that is skewed since it relies on members, who tend to be Honda/Toyota lovers.

I like the 1 series, probably since it looks like the E46 coupe. Not an E90 or E92 fan.
I know we use 2000lb as a ton in the US. But in the British standard it is 2240 lb, which is the origin of the measurement.
And I like the 1 series, too. Just hope there is a hatchback.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post

The US ton is really the short ton, when referred to correctly. 2240lb is used as the measure for the ton anywhere where imperial measurements are used, outside of the US. The ton or long ton (2240lb) is actually very close to the metric tonne (1000kg / 2204lb).
Old 07-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Vegan, not Romulan

Send a message via ICQ to Pete Teoh Send a message via AIM to Pete Teoh Send a message via MSN to Pete Teoh Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Teoh
Mein Auto: ****
Mmmm... wonton.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: e82
Quote:
When you drive a bimmer it says prestige.
IMO, someone buying a car for the "prestige" is much better served in a Mercedes or other brands that are similarly focused on "luxury."

You can find a bit of it in 5- & 7-series but if you're buying 1's, 3's and X3's for "prestige" you're buying the wrong car. They're far too common in most parts of the country to be "prestigious."