Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive Sedan
135i with optional all seasons?

I was just wondering if anyone has pictures of their 135i with the no-cost optional 17 inch all season tires/rims? It's hard to truly get an idea of what they really look like from the configurator on BMWUSA.com or the brochure. All of the dealers in my are have the usual 18 inch summer tires, which are gorgeous. We barely get any snow at all here anymore, about 3 to 5 inches for the entire winter last year, so snow tires aren't worth it for me, but all seasons might be a good choice for that limited amount of snow and some sleet or freezing rain. On top of that, I have no place whatsoever to store a set of winter tires. Thanks in advance for the pics. ; )
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
I have the 17" with 205/50 Goodyear all-season RFT on my 135 vert. I don't have a way to post digital pictures but they look fine to me and the ride is great compared to my Z4 with the 18s. To me, the 17s are a good way to go.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Porsche got the 911 right ( after they tried everything else lol )
Old 06-28-2009, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the info. I've found it really hard to find pics of the coupe with the all seasons. When doing a Google search, all I came up with were pics of the standard summer tires or the M-package ones. Sadly, the same is true at the dealerships around here, who mostly have 128s, with the one or two 135s they have wearing the summer tires. One question, how were the all seasons during this past winter, if you had any snow or sleet in your area?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 318i, 135i on order
Unless you have a 2nd car to use on snow days, I wouldn't risk it with all seasons. They may be ok for the 1st winter (with light snow), but after some wear they can put you at serious risk if you get stuck in a typical, icey NJ snow storm. I also don't see the point of buying a 135i if you're going to compromise on the rubber (which is the last place to save money with a performance car). It can't be that hard to find space for 4 tires even if they have to go under the bed.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdeckard View Post
Thanks for the info. I've found it really hard to find pics of the coupe with the all seasons. When doing a Google search, all I came up with were pics of the standard summer tires or the M-package ones. Sadly, the same is true at the dealerships around here, who mostly have 128s, with the one or two 135s they have wearing the summer tires. One question, how were the all seasons during this past winter, if you had any snow or sleet in your area?
I live in Florida. We don't have sleet or snow.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Porsche got the 911 right ( after they tried everything else lol )
Old 06-30-2009, 06:30 PM

Thanks again for the info. I wound up ordering the car with the standard 18 inch performance tires. Buying winter tires isn't the hard part, finding a place to store them and then somehow getting them to the dealership/service department to get the tires changed is the hard part. Any advice on how to get them there, as 4 tires aren't going to fit in the backseat and trunk of the 135i coupe, or will they? Before you ask, no, none of my friends or family members have large cars/SUVS either to lug the winter wheels there. How do most of you do it or do you change the tires yourself when the winter rolls around? I would guess that they have to be aligned perfectly by a tech, especially due to the sensors, but maybe I'm wrong.

I realized you lived in Florida after I wrote that question, but thought maybe you lived in an area with some freak snowstorms.lol You never know. ;O)
Old 07-01-2009, 12:21 AM

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdeckard View Post
... as 4 tires aren't going to fit in the backseat and trunk of the 135i coupe, or will they? ...
The 1-series coupe has almost exactly the same interior and trunk space as the E46 3-series. No problem in fitting 4 winter wheels and tyres in the E46 with the rear seat folded.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 135i Cabriolet
I have a 135 vert, and I can fit all four of my snow tires in it when I go to have them changed for the season. Two in the trunk, and two in the back seat. If you have the coupe, you should have even more room for all four tires. Hope this helps
Old 07-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 318i, 135i on order
Go to 1Addicts. There was a guy there who had a pic of his 4 tires plus a huge amount of other stuff tucked into his 1.
I've done it twice already. With the seats folded down there's plenty of room. I believe the Tire Rack (and certainly other companies) sell tire storage racks that mount on the wall. Mine are in bags just stacked in the garage. After I get the new summer wheels, the winter tires will stay on the stock rims and I'll probably put the off-season wheels on a wall rack.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
Do a couple at a time! Yes TR sell a nice wall rack for storing tires with rims. It's around $150.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:36 PM

I'm guessing from all the input I received, that means no one chose the all-seasons on the coupe.lol The only reason I was thinking about going that way was because I could use the all-seasons when the temperature dropped, as opposed to the summers, which everyone has said aren't as usable at near freezing temps. In the last 10 years or so, we've haven't gotten more than 3 to 5 inches total for the entire winter in my end of Jersey, and I really don't see that changing much as every year it gets warmer and warmer, so buying snow tires for that limited number of days when I can't drive the car seems like a bad investment. If the all-seasons can't be used when the temperature drops, which is much more common than the snow, then chosing the summers and buying winters is a better decision. I don't have a garage or any place to really store the winter tires, so that's a major part of the problem. If the dealer/service department offered some kind of storage, it would be a much easier decision to make. I know someone mentioned it before, but I honestly can't store the tires under my bed.lol
Old 07-04-2009, 06:03 PM

I just wanted to post a little update. I wound up changing my order to a 335i x-drive, instead of the 135i. I had a very tough time deciding originally between the two cars and had settled on the 135i. In my opinion, both cars have their pluses, along with one or two minuses. For the last 20 years or so I've been driving front wheel drive cars and have never had to put winter tires on, even when we had heavy snow. I'm not saying I would plow through 6 inches of snow, but I never had any problems driving when the temperature was freezing or when there was a few inches of the white stuff on the road. The same has been true for most of my family members, who either had front wheel or all wheel drive cars over that time. None of us have ever felt insecure about driving on the all seasons during any of the weather conditions we've had here in Jersey over the past couple of decades. I'm happy I was able to find out a lot of information from members on here about how a rear wheel drive car handles in the bad weather and which tires are necessary because it made my car buying decision a little easier. I'm just not the type of person who wants to deal with the hassle of having to change tires twice a year, every year. On top of that, you just never know when you're going to get a snowstorm in Jersey in the fall, when I wouldn't have changed to the winter tires yet. If I didn't like both cars almost equally, it might have been a more difficult decision, but I'm pretty comfortable in my decision. On top of that, I still wound up with the same deal financially and this time I actually wound up getting a few extras thrown into the deal as well. Thank you to everyone who provided me with very insightful information. I still think the 135i is a phenomenal car, but the 335i x-drive is as well, and I can feel secure driving it during the winter without having to change a thing. Yes, I know winter tires would make it better too, but based on the number of friends and family members I have who are driving x-drives, 4matics, 4motions, and quattros, who have been doing just fine with the all seasons, I think I'll be ok. : )