Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-27-2009, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 535D
Rear "rattle" problem

I have recently noticed a strange rattle (sounds like a metal brush rubbing against something) coming from the left rear wheel. The faster I go , the faster the repetitions of this brushing/rattle sound which leads me to believe that something is rubbing off something on the wheel itself. I have had a look and cannot see anything obvious myself.
Has anyone had this before - what is the most likely think that this could be - suspension, wheel bearing etc..??
Ads by Google
Old 06-27-2009, 11:35 AM
BMW Nuthead

Mein Auto: e92 M3 6mt
get the tire off the ground place your hands on the 12 and 6 o'clock and check for any play. if there is play you need wheel bearings. alos check the dust cover on the inside of brake disc
DRB Motorsports axle back exhaust
Old 06-27-2009, 08:13 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Off hand, it sounds like a bad wheel bearing.

Jack up the car and turn the wheel in question with your hands. Is there a faint (but otherwise audible) grinding sound? If so, your bearing is probably bad (but just to be sure - make sure the brake dust shield isn't hitting anything as the wheel spins). Another way to verify this is to corner hard towards the side that the sound is coming from. This will reduce the load on the offending wheel - listen for a significant reduction in the volume of the sound. If the sound does indeed get faint, then that's yet another sign that a bearing needs to be replaced.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1985 318I
Wheel bearing sounds right, but I got a question.
I get that same exact sound, but there is no play in the hub. Still a bearing?
Old 06-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 330i 09K13GT 83R100RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tGunter View Post
Wheel bearing sounds right, but I got a question.
I get that same exact sound, but there is no play in the hub. Still a bearing?
Based on my experience, I pushed back the left rear back plate due to vibration. My first thoughts were: broken spring or wheel bearing.

Regards
Old 06-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Gadget freak

Mein Auto: .02.330i.aw.
I might check on the subframe issue threads just be on the safe side. It's quite an issue with 2001 or prior e46's issues (not all e46s).
Old 06-29-2009, 04:53 AM
In my own cars again

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrollf View Post
I have recently noticed a strange rattle (sounds like a metal brush rubbing against something) coming from the left rear wheel. The faster I go , the faster the repetitions of this brushing/rattle sound which leads me to believe that something is rubbing off something on the wheel itself. I have had a look and cannot see anything obvious myself.
Has anyone had this before - what is the most likely think that this could be - suspension, wheel bearing etc..??
How recently, how long has it been happening?

I once had some small pebble or something get caught in the parking brake drum. Scared hell out of me - what a racket. I made an appointment to get the rear-end checked (car had less than 5K on it then), but it was gone 3 days/~100 miles later.....

--Micah O'C
CCA 193374
'88 M5, Bilstein Sports/ST Springs, staggered BBS RS, Euro conversion
'04 330i ZHP, Jet Black 6spd, hot seats, LightWerkz TFX-Xenon, Bilstein PSS10
UUC Strut/SwayBarbarians, PowerFlex CAB/TAB, Performance Gearing 3.38 LSD

Old 06-30-2009, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 535D
Has been happening for a few weeks now...

Went to get a slow puncture fixed today and had them look at it (Fastfit). They said everything looks fine and could not find single thing wrong but did say that is 'could' be the brake "shoe" starting to go/wear but they do not do them!! What is that? How can I tell if this is the case?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 AM
I need a drink

Send a message via AIM to Araq44
Mein Auto: mobile
My rattle problem fix:

I found it, it was two rattles actually.

1: Battery box cover plastic screws were destroyed. Solution: use the broken ones as a mold and made new ones with epoxy 2 days later new ones I made worked perfect this AM and PM.
2: Emergency tool kit screw was stripped. Solution I wrapped it with electrical tape today and it is holding, will try to make a mold or order a new one.