Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #50051  
Old 01-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Los's Avatar
Los Los is offline
More than you can afford
Location: Norfolk, VA
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,130
Mein Auto: Elise<3
Oh and for anyone that hasn't seen on FB, I was quoted $3000+ to fix my car after my accident. Right now I'm $300 in with the whole thing fixed and just a hood left to get.

__________________

'98 328i/'09 Tahoe LTZ
@los_tho
  #50052  
Old 01-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Kdoherty's Avatar
Kdoherty Kdoherty is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: The cradle of Liberty
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,563
Mein Auto: A redhead E90
silly insurance companies...
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

So, pretty much just doing man stuff.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
  #50053  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:06 PM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is online now
Warm Leatherette
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 19,544
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
So the interview went really well. I was a total shoe-in, and the person interviewing me was visibly impressed with all of my credentials. The glitch? In their job posting, they failed to mention that it was for a half-time position!

It was a mistake on their part, and I had to turn them down. Sucks though, because I really wanted the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My E36 View Post
Alright, so I just barely finished putting everything back in. what do you guys think? I really wanted to throw on some ///M colors so they can match the seats but they didnt have any of the colors. Still came out pretty clean.
From what I can see, it looks pretty good.
__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
  #50054  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Kdoherty's Avatar
Kdoherty Kdoherty is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: The cradle of Liberty
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,563
Mein Auto: A redhead E90
man that is weak, after all that it's just a part time slot? that's the worst.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

So, pretty much just doing man stuff.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
  #50055  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 PM
BMRfanatic's Avatar
BMRfanatic BMRfanatic is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Shore MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,989
Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
Jesse, you can hear my ghetto intake really well in this:


(skip to 1:20 for the better run)

sounds like me this on the way to school

i thought the s50 would sound different than the m50 but i guess not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
thank goodness for those silly insurance companies...
Fixed

and good to here Los


Karl what wrong with part time? Wouldnt going full time interfere with your current job?
__________________

-Dino

Last edited by BMRfanatic; 01-26-2012 at 02:09 PM.
  #50056  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:10 PM
crisscross's Avatar
crisscross crisscross is offline
Just living MY dream
Location: Best country on Earth
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,586
Mein Auto: 1995 M3 Boston Green
Joe, its probably flooded....

Pull the plugs and look at them
__________________
-Alan


Member #2 of the Boston Green Mafia BMW-CCA #457574

1995 BG M3(sold) 2000 TiAg 4.4l X5(sold)

-2000 F250 V10
-2004 GMC Yukon Denali

-I do the things today that others won't do, so I will have the things tomorrow that other won't have....
  #50057  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:10 PM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is online now
Warm Leatherette
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 19,544
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
Karl what wrong with part time? Wouldnt going full time interfere with your current job?
I was planning to change jobs entirely; to move up the ladder.
__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
  #50058  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:14 PM
B1MM3R's Avatar
B1MM3R B1MM3R is offline
Jesse Moon Bayne
Location: Roanoke, VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7,699
Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
sounds pretty good man
__________________
Jesse
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap)
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
  #50059  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 PM
BMRfanatic's Avatar
BMRfanatic BMRfanatic is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Shore MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,989
Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
I was planning to change jobs entirely; to move up the ladder.
ahh ok

Wtf? moment
I went to the car wash to prevent cancers and a lil bit of water entered on both sides on my car and it look like came from cabin air filter. and i noticed that upon opening my hood that vent looking thingy (where the dme harness passes through was drenched as a mutha *

this was an automatic car was too
__________________

-Dino
  #50060  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:25 PM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is online now
Warm Leatherette
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 19,544
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
^Your cowl drains must be clogged. Better get on that ASAP, since it's a miracle that your DME hasn't totally toasted itself already. Perhaps that could be the cause of your issues?
__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 01-26-2012 at 02:27 PM.
  #50061  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:26 PM
SlimKlim's Avatar
SlimKlim SlimKlim is offline
King of Drone
Location: Fairfax, VA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,298
Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
It was a mistake on their part, and I had to turn them down. Sucks though, because I really wanted the job.
Dude that's a huge oversight for a job listing. I'd be pretty upset, applying and interviewing for a job is about a solid week of work, and when you're already working full time its not easy to squeeze in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
sounds like me this on the way to school

i thought the s50 would sound different than the m50 but i guess not
The M and S50 are really similar motors. Actually, I once read an article that was a market update on 80's and 90's BMWs, and they called it the "M3 without the M motor," describing it as a slightly tuned up M50.

Personally, I would counter argue that a motor developed by the ///M division for the US market is still an ///M motor. I'd also say that 50hp isn't a "slight tune up." To be fair though, its a far cry from the fire-breathing, ITB'd monster the euro cars came with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1MM3R View Post
sounds pretty good man
Thanks.
  #50062  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:39 PM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is online now
Warm Leatherette
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 19,544
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
Dude that's a huge oversight for a job listing. I'd be pretty upset, applying and interviewing for a job is about a solid week of work, and when you're already working full time its not easy to squeeze in.
Yep, I was polite about it since everybody knows everybody in my field, but I was a bit frustrated. This isn't some small-time position that I was interviewing for, either. I work for the highest funded research institution in the country. In other words, you have to take the interviews very seriously. At first, I started to second-guess myself, thinking that I may have accidentally overlooked that detail on the job posting. I checked the posting again when I got home, and sure enough, there is no mention anywhere suggesting that it is a half-time position. They simply screwed up. They asked if I wanted them to keep my info on file in case a full-time position opens up in the future if/when they secure additional grant funding, and I said yes. But that could take months and months, if it ever happens at all. It would have been nice if they had offered to pay for my dry cleaning...

Oh well. These things happen. At least I already have the security of a good job to fall back upon. It is a bit nerve wracking to interview, but it was also good practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
The M and S50 are really similar motors. Actually, I once read an article that was a market update on 80's and 90's BMWs, and they called it the "M3 without the M motor," describing it as a slightly tuned up M50.

Personally, I would counter argue that a motor developed by the ///M division for the US market is still an ///M motor. I'd also say that 50hp isn't a "slight tune up." To be fair though, its a far cry from the fire-breathing, ITB'd monster the euro cars came with.
They use the same block, head, pistons, etc. On the M52 and S52, they even share the same exhaust manifolds/headers (not sure if this is also true for the M50/S50). Only thing that is different is the bore, stroke, cams, and software. But yeah they basically sound identical to one another. I don't consider them to be true ///M division products, but I don't really care about that, since the S50US and S52US are still awesome motors.
__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 01-26-2012 at 02:43 PM.
  #50063  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:41 PM
cj.surr's Avatar
cj.surr cj.surr is offline
some kid
Location: Ithaca, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,480
Mein Auto: whiny 318
Looking to buy this guy's non-m PSS (NOT PSS9/10) coilovers. He said the bolt sleeve on one of the rear shocks came out during removal, but is not easy to put back in... What do you guys think? I'm sure he could hammer it back in, I'm just worried if it will stay there.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0729.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	309783  
__________________
-CJ

  #50064  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:45 PM
B1MM3R's Avatar
B1MM3R B1MM3R is offline
Jesse Moon Bayne
Location: Roanoke, VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7,699
Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
CJ those tend to come loose...i say if you put it back in and install you shouldnt have issues.
Buying this afe intake for $150
looked it up and $289 new plus shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d8fefbfe.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	309785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1068.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	309786  
__________________
Jesse
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap)
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
  #50065  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:46 PM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is online now
Warm Leatherette
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 19,544
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
CJ, those rubber bushings (including the metal center) are replaceable. You should be able to find them for sale somewhere. Since it has separated in the ones you're looking at, I wouldn't try to reuse the existing bushings. Just get new ones installed.
__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
  #50066  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:47 PM
SlimKlim's Avatar
SlimKlim SlimKlim is offline
King of Drone
Location: Fairfax, VA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,298
Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Yep, I was polite about it since everybody knows everybody in my field, but I was a bit frustrated. This isn't some small-time position that I was interviewing for, either. I work for the highest funded research institution in the country. In other words, you have to take the interviews very seriously. At first, I started to second-guess myself, thinking that I may have accidentally overlooked that detail on the job posting. I checked the posting again when I got home, and sure enough, there is no mention anywhere suggesting that it is a half-time position. They simply screwed up. They asked if I wanted them to keep my info on file in case a full-time position opens up in the future if/when they secure additional grant funding, and I said yes. But that could take months and months, if it ever happens at all. It would have been nice if they had offered to pay for my dry cleaning...

Oh well. These things happen. At least I already have the security of a good job to fall back upon. It is a bit nerve wracking to interview, but it was also good practice.



They use the same block, head, pistons, etc. On the M52 and S52, they even share the same exhaust manifolds/headers (not sure if this is also true for the M50/S50). Only thing that is different is the bore, stroke, cams, and software. But yeah they basically sound identical to one another.
Well, if anything maybe you dazzled them enough to get their ass in gear and get funding for a full time position. I'm trying to move from being a contractor with my company to a full time employee, and the amount of red tape to do so is staggering. Its for an associate level position and my manager has to present my case all the way up the management chain, including the CEO. We have thousands of employees too.
  #50067  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:49 PM
cj.surr's Avatar
cj.surr cj.surr is offline
some kid
Location: Ithaca, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,480
Mein Auto: whiny 318
Cool. I think I'm gonna go for it. Bilstein PSS setup with newish strut mounts and 20-30k for $500 plus shippo (a little over $1k new).
__________________
-CJ


Last edited by cj.surr; 01-26-2012 at 02:51 PM.
  #50068  
Old 01-26-2012, 03:06 PM
B1MM3R's Avatar
B1MM3R B1MM3R is offline
Jesse Moon Bayne
Location: Roanoke, VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7,699
Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
Cj...just throwing this out there...I have these $550 with shipping...they are on backorder right now, but I love em. http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E36-325...vers/ES250986/
__________________
Jesse
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap)
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
  #50069  
Old 01-26-2012, 03:11 PM
BMRfanatic's Avatar
BMRfanatic BMRfanatic is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Shore MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,989
Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
^Your cowl drains must be clogged. Better get on that ASAP, since it's a miracle that your DME hasn't totally toasted itself already. Perhaps that could be the cause of your issues?
Yeah i know, after the many car washes i gave this thing too

But Karl Im kinda questioning something now

Last time i pulled out my dme to see if it had the stock chip or not cause i couldnt find redline

i noticed my dme was dirty as if it got wet/ exposed to the elements a while ago. this was during the summer of 11

im tempted to pull it out now.

is it necessary to pull out the battery? or is disconnecting the harness before removing the dme from its housing enough?

EDIT never mind let me not be lazy so nothing breaks

BRB pics soon
__________________

-Dino

Last edited by BMRfanatic; 01-26-2012 at 03:13 PM.
  #50070  
Old 01-26-2012, 03:12 PM
cj.surr's Avatar
cj.surr cj.surr is offline
some kid
Location: Ithaca, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,480
Mein Auto: whiny 318
Yeah, I've considered the FKs, but I'm hoping for a little better performance out of Bilsteins. Although, a new set would be nice.
__________________
-CJ

  #50071  
Old 01-26-2012, 03:17 PM
B1MM3R's Avatar
B1MM3R B1MM3R is offline
Jesse Moon Bayne
Location: Roanoke, VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7,699
Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Yeah, I've considered the FKs, but I'm hoping for a little better performance out of Bilsteins. Although, a new set would be nice.
I was only 2 seconds behind a 99 m3 at autox with mine and I didnt have my xbrace or m3 brakes then, and he does autox year round... I also ran with bald rear tires...they handled great for me...new would be nice..jmo man..bilsteins are better but fk's are not much softer then my friends 318 with bilsteins.
__________________
Jesse
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap)
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
  #50072  
Old 01-26-2012, 03:23 PM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is online now
Warm Leatherette
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 19,544
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
Yeah i know, after the many car washes i gave this thing too

But Karl Im kinda questioning something now

Last time i pulled out my dme to see if it had the stock chip or not cause i couldnt find redline

i noticed my dme was dirty as if it got wet/ exposed to the elements a while ago. this was during the summer of 11

im tempted to pull it out now.

is it necessary to pull out the battery? or is disconnecting the harness before removing the dme from its housing enough?

EDIT never mind let me not be lazy so nothing breaks

BRB pics soon
I'd recommend disconnecting the battery before disconnecting the DME. Better safe than sorry.
__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
  #50073  
Old 01-26-2012, 04:21 PM
E36 Phantom's Avatar
E36 Phantom E36 Phantom is offline
I Am The Machine
Location: Somewhere Between The Valley & The Bay
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,501
Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Wow Karl, that sucks. But like you said it was good practice.

Can I just take a moment to say F U Tracy Costco. We got some hot dogs at the food court last night and Brittany and I both got some massive food poisoning.

I missed the whole morning and damn near missed a meeting this afternoon and I'm still sick as a dog.

Gah.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
__________________
// Chad //
// 2001 BMW 740i M-Sport // 2002 Lexus LX470 //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //



Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
  #50074  
Old 01-26-2012, 04:27 PM
BMRfanatic's Avatar
BMRfanatic BMRfanatic is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Shore MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,989
Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Wow Karl, that sucks. But like you said it was good practice.

Can I just take a moment to say F U Tracy Costco. We got some hot dogs at the food court last night and Brittany and I both got some massive food poisoning.

I missed the whole morning and damn near missed a meeting this afternoon and I'm still sick as a dog.

Gah.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
Laxative time




Pics of DME too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01460.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	309799   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01458.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	309800   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01461.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	309801   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01459.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	309802   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01465.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	309803  

__________________

-Dino
  #50075  
Old 01-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Gooby's Avatar
Gooby Gooby is offline
Sexy Sax Man / Kebab Lord
Location: Streetz of B'
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,521
Mein Auto: 1995 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Wow Karl, that sucks. But like you said it was good practice.

Can I just take a moment to say F U Tracy Costco. We got some hot dogs at the food court last night and Brittany and I both got some massive food poisoning.

I missed the whole morning and damn near missed a meeting this afternoon and I'm still sick as a dog.

Gah.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
srsly...I question your manhood...
__________________

Instagram | @randytheus
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
-*nga*-, 12-6 cloud: yes or no?, :3, because racemower!!, chads looking for a new audi, no tag integrity pls, pls stop erasing da damn tags, what's integrity?, whats audi?, you guys crack me up...


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms