Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
^Be sure to bring an extra set of door handles for that 'vert.
Sorry Karl, I don't get it.
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap).Vaders..Bavauto short shifter..dinan cat back..sways..3.23lsd..tms chip..staggered dsII's...BCracing coilovers..F&R strut tower bar...M3 brakes..x-brace..AFE CAI
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
Old 04-20-2012, 10:30 AM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
There's autocross right near me this Sunday and the next. I really wanna go this Sunday, but I don't know if I'll be ready. I guess I can just put the new tires on the rear before doing the camber arms. I can't do that much damage at one autocross.

Plus, for some reason, season registration ($30) is only required if you're less than 18 yrs old. It's $5 off autocross each week (normally $35). So it's not a big deal about the money, I just don't wanna be stuck there Sunday morning doing a bunch of paperwork and crap. I'll have to call them and see if I can get season registration forms early.

Also, they require that the battery has to be tied down... Mine's not tied down, but it's in that little compartment. Shouldn't that be fine? It's not going anywhere.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
Yeah yeah. One thing I've noticed about mi'otters is the people that make fun of them (not tongue-in-cheek, but actually not liking them) have never driven one on a curvy road. The smile even a stock miata brings to your face when you're just running that tiny, peppy little motor out for every ounce it has to give you can't be replaced.

A 260+hp M3 is great, as are all kinds of cars with way more power, but you can never really use it 99% of the time. Either you're in traffic and its dangerous, or you're breaking the speed limit and its still fairly dangerous. I could launch my miata from a stoplight, redline it in every gear, practice my late braking and throttle points through a corner, and NO ONE in traffic would notice me. Less power = more fun more of the time, as long as its the right car.

Ummmm

You could always just not floor a faster car, and it'll be the same speed as a ghey Miata

Quote:
I dunno but its still in there this year. If my memory serves me correctly they used to specify a maximum tire size of 245 or 255 in STX, but allow up to 275 in STU. Which is why I felt the M3 was so outclassed in there. Obviously if you pit a RWD, 240hp M3 on 245s against a cracked out gagillion HP STI on 275s, the STI might have a slight advantage unless it sucks a cone into the turbo while on course.

Maybe they discuss tire and power limits somewhere else, but that document is such a nightmare to navigate.

So, what classes are these for? Auto X or specific road courses?

What would a car like mine be in?

Old 04-20-2012, 10:39 AM
99 323i Vert

Mein Auto: 99 323i Vert
Quote:
^Be sure to bring an extra set of door handles for that 'vert.
Implying it's slow?
I haven't driven another BMW so I wouldn't be able to compare it to them. Bt coming from a POS Saturn SC2 and a Honda accord..it's a lot faster haha. And I probably won't track my car, he's getting a tt supra and he's got that turbo S2000 for me to destroy.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:43 AM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by veteran011 View Post
i wanted a mini bad after driving an old gf's stripped-down base mini. wasnt the fastest but damn did it handle.

consumer reports isnt too nice on the reliability of the minis though, especially the S/C versions.
Yeah, the S/C makes doing anything simple in that tiny engine bay WAY more complicated. I've helped replace the intake boot from the SC to the throttle body and we had to take the front bumper off. Just awful. Also, changing the clutch apparently involves disassembling the entire car.

Still find myself sort of wanting one every once in a while despite knowing all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
Ummmm

You could always just not floor a faster car, and it'll be the same speed as a ghey Miata

So, what classes are these for? Auto X or specific road courses?

What would a car like mine be in?
I dunno, its just not the same. There's something really fun about ragging a slow car out. Not flooring a faster car means you're just driving, which isn't really any fun at all. To quote James May from the last season of Top Gear, its when you're approaching the limit of grip and control where things become actually interesting. A ghey miata on 195/50/15s approaches the limit of grip at way more normal speeds, where as my M3 needs to be going something illegal to do the same.

Obviously, because I dumped my miata and kept the M, they dont do THAT much for me, but I do get why people are really into them, and I would definitely consider a car with similar characteristics as a DD.

That classing is specific for SCCA Solo Autocrosses. Each organization and each type of racing has its own classing system. Your car might be in some sort of SM class because of the aspiration change. The easiest way to find out is to join your local SCCA forum and just ask the guys that know the rules inside and out by posting the specs of your car. Its hard to class a car competitively, usually you need to have a class in mind when you start modding to really be competitive. If I was going to AX for the competition of it instead of just for fun I'd either do an STU STI or (cheaper) one of the 3 or 4 classes you can build a miata for.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1MM3R View Post
Sorry Karl, I don't get it.
It's just a friendly jab about convertibles being heavy. There's going to be lots of body roll and understeer going on. It'll definitely be better than a Saturn SC2, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Also, they require that the battery has to be tied down... Mine's not tied down, but it's in that little compartment. Shouldn't that be fine? It's not going anywhere.
Nope, they absolutely will not let you run. You won't pass tech inspection, and it's pass/fail. Even though the battery is in that compartment, you still definitely want it tied down. A 45lb. battery can do some serious damage.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 04-20-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:45 AM
nothing.

Mein Auto: 328xi
Do you know how you can make your car faster?

2011 328xi
Old 04-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Needs Boost

Quote:
Yeah, the S/C makes doing anything simple in that tiny engine bay WAY more complicated. I've helped replace the intake boot from the SC to the throttle body and we had to take the front bumper off. Just awful. Also, changing the clutch apparently involves disassembling the entire car.

Still find myself sort of wanting one every once in a while despite knowing all that.

I dunno, its just not the same. There's something really fun about ragging a slow car out. Not flooring a faster car means you're just driving, which isn't really any fun at all. To quote James May from the last season of Top Gear, its when you're approaching the limit of grip and control where things become actually interesting. A ghey miata on 195/50/15s approaches the limit of grip at way more normal speeds, where as my M3 needs to be going something illegal to do the same.

Obviously, because I dumped my miata and kept the M, they dont do THAT much for me, but I do get why people are really into them, and I would definitely consider a car with similar characteristics as a DD.

That classing is specific for SCCA Solo Autocrosses. Each organization and each type of racing has its own classing system. Your car might be in some sort of SM class because of the aspiration change. The easiest way to find out is to join your local SCCA forum and just ask the guys that know the rules inside and out by posting the specs of your car. Its hard to class a car competitively, usually you need to have a class in mind when you start modding to really be competitive. If I was going to AX for the competition of it instead of just for fun I'd either do an STU STI or (cheaper) one of the 3 or 4 classes you can build a miata for.

Ah I gotcha, so where do I find these forums? Just search SCCA in PA?

I know what you mean about ragging out slow cars, it is kinda fun

Quote:
It's just a friendly jab about convertibles being heavy. There's going to be lots of body roll and understeer going on. It'll definitely be better than a Saturn SC2, though.

Nope, they absolutely will not let you run. You won't pass tech inspection, and it's pass/fail. Even though the battery is in that compartment, you still definitely want it tied down.

Interesting, my car didn't have a tie down on it when I bought it. Where would I find one? Or are they pretty universal like most batteries?

Old 04-20-2012, 10:48 AM
99 323i Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Thirty View Post
Do you know how you can make your car faster?
Let me guess, "sell it and get a faster car"
Old 04-20-2012, 10:50 AM
99 323i Vert

And I definitely know about ragging out slow cars. My Saturn was awful. I beat my friends Scion TC TRD edition in a drag though lol. He was mad.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:50 AM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
Quote:
Nope, they absolutely will not let you run. You won't pass tech inspection, and it's pass/fail. Even though the battery is in that compartment, you still definitely want it tied down.
Alright. Looks like it's time to bust out the gigantic zipties

The thing that's really pissing me off is the info on their site. This is taken from the regulations:

Quote:
Minimum age to compete is 18 years old for non club member participants and 16 years old for paid club members (any club members 16 and 17 years old must be accompanied by a paid member parent and have a waiver signed by said parent prior to competing). All drivers must have a valid driver’s license. (We do check!)
OK, so I go to look at club membership:

Quote:
Membership Requirements
1. You must be over 18 years old.
2. You will need a current Voting C.A.R.T. member to sponsor you.
I'm not 18, and I don't know any CART members...

The worst part is that when I go to the forum to ask what's up with this, my email address was banned

So I pop in a secondary email and now it's telling me I have to wait for admin approval before I can post. This is becoming more work than it's worth. I can just go find an empty parking lot to hoon around in for free.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:54 AM
King of Drone

Quote:
Ah I gotcha, so where do I find these forums? Just search SCCA in PA?

I know what you mean about ragging out slow cars, it is kinda fun

Interesting, my car didn't have a tie down on it when I bought it. Where would I find one? Or are they pretty universal like most batteries?
Yeah, mine is like brr-scca.com or something. Not sure what your group would be. Step 1 is joining the club (like $40/year) and getting acquainted. Most reigons seem to have their own forums and they will make sure you class the car properly so there are no surprises come tech time.

You car would be a handful on the autocross course. I've never driven a turbo straight-six bimmer. Is there a drastic transition between no boost and boost like a modded evo or is a little smoother because of the natural torque of the bigger motor? At an autocross the car is rarely in a straight line, so knowing your throttle points is a big part of the battle, and dealing with the chassis getting unsettled when TEH BOOSTZ kicks in adds another layer to the party.

....If I come to PA can I co-drive?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
They're not universal per se. Some work by clamping over the top of the battery, but the E36 tie-down is just a little tab which holds onto the cleat on the bottom edge of the battery. The cleat shape is pretty universal, since the same method is used by many battery & car manufacturers, but the way the tie down screws into the car itself varies from car to car. That said, it would probably be very easy to make your own tie down by purchasing a bolt that fits from a hardware store along with some kind of flat steel. You could probably just cut a 2" length of flat steel, drill a hole in it, and run the bolt through the flat steel into the car.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 04-20-2012, 10:56 AM
99 323i Vert

I wish I could afford to turbo my car..
Old 04-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Needs Boost

Quote:
Yeah, mine is like brr-scca.com or something. Not sure what your group would be. Step 1 is joining the club (like $40/year) and getting acquainted. Most reigons seem to have their own forums and they will make sure you class the car properly so there are no surprises come tech time.

You car would be a handful on the autocross course. I've never driven a turbo straight-six bimmer. Is there a drastic transition between no boost and boost like a modded evo or is a little smoother because of the natural torque of the bigger motor? At an autocross the car is rarely in a straight line, so knowing your throttle points is a big part of the battle, and dealing with the chassis getting unsettled when TEH BOOSTZ kicks in adds another layer to the party.

....If I come to PA can I co-drive?
Like this? http://www.scca-cpr.org/cms/index.php

Yea it wouldn't be great on an autocross course but still fun! My turbo setup doesn't spool really quick, but if I keep it in high rpms, it will be just fine. It's definitely smoother hitting than EVOs and STIs, those things spool almost instantly.

Sure man

How far are you from 17257?

Old 04-20-2012, 11:02 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
I'm parked next to a bone stock RX330 in the traditional boring Lexus beige............on Volk TE37s.

WTF?

It's ghastly!

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 04-20-2012, 11:03 AM
King of Drone

Quote:
Like this? http://www.scca-cpr.org/cms/index.php

Yea it wouldn't be great on an autocross course but still fun! My turbo setup doesn't spool really quick, but if I keep it in high rpms, it will be just fine. It's definitely smoother hitting than EVOs and STIs, those things spool almost instantly.

Sure man

How far are you from 17257?
Yeah, exactly like that.

Holy crap, you're in Shippensburg? That's only 2 hours from me.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG I totally need to come up and drive your car sometime.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:03 AM
99 323i Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
I'm parked next to a bone stock RX330 in the traditional boring Lexus beige............on Volk TE37s.

WTF?

It's ghastly!

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
There's a Prius around my town that's got 19's on it. That thing is hideous.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 AM
I feed trolls

Mein Auto: 3 series
Quote:
So apparently the toll road in my area is shut down for some reason, my commute to work was like a funhouse mirror version of itself. First some girl in a Camry almost killed me by not signaling. Then I'm trying to get on the highway and its beyond congested with a wide load truck trying to merge on at the same time. I'm sitting in the middle lane hanging in 3rd gear trying to get into the left lane, and I've got just enough room but this newish Explorer accelerates to close the gap. WTF. I look over at him and he's flicking ME off. No. I briefly see red mist and when I merge I'm too close to him and honk at him. (This was wrong of me, I have too short of a temper, kids, don't be like me.)

Anyway, he completely flew off the handle at that. He was screaming in his rear view, then he merges back over to get next to me and is screaming out the window for me to pull over so he can kick my ass (40 year old guy, professional polo shirt, going to his mid level job in one of these corporate centers around here). I just end up screaming back at the asshat. I hope someone blocks him out the next 500 times he tries to merge.

Also, I need to take a chill pill with the road rage, and I wonder if my boss would let me leave at 3 and work two more hours from home so I don't have to deal with this traffic trainwreck of a day again.

Did I ever tell you how much I hate people? This is why.

Just the other day some dumb bitch in a new explorer was trying to merge into me, when there had been signs for miles stating that the right lane is closed ahead. Of course though she had to go flying past all the other cars and try to pop in up front. Not happening on my watch. I used the hips of my truck and blocked that bitch off. And to add icing on the cake, I politely told her through my PA to screw off and try again next time truck FTMFDKW!

Its one thing to be unable to merge because of a roadblock or something, but its completely different when you see a line of cars a mile long and 6 signs saying "right lane closed ahead"

RIP Ben "Jever" Doebele, we wont forget you

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates, it needs a CUMMINS!!

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Cummins, cab swap, 5 speed, and lots of motor work. 20 MPG, 40 PSI, 507 ft/lbs torque
Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Needs Boost

Quote:
They're not universal per se. Some work by clamping over the top of the battery, but the E36 tie-down is just a little tab which holds onto the cleat on the bottom edge of the battery. The cleat shape is pretty universal, since the same method is used by many battery & car manufacturers, but the way the tie down screws into the car itself varies from car to car. That said, it would probably be very easy to make your own tie down by purchasing a bolt that fits from a hardware store along with some kind of flat steel. You could probably just cut a 2" length of flat steel, drill a hole in it, and run the bolt through the flat steel into the car.
Gotcha, I'll have to source one, the factory style that is.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Haters Gonna Hate

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
I was hoping to never put one of these on my car but..... What can you do
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1334945294974.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	321711  
Old 04-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Needs Boost

Quote:
Yeah, exactly like that.

Holy crap, you're in Shippensburg? That's only 2 hours from me.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG I totally need to come up and drive your car sometime.
Yea man, that's cool. A few of us drive to Hagerstown sometimes to check out the car scene (tons of modded honda's )

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive by72 View Post
Did I ever tell you how much I hate people? This is why.

Just the other day some dumb bitch in a new explorer was trying to merge into me, when there had been signs for miles stating that the right lane is closed ahead. Of course though she had to go flying past all the other cars and try to pop in up front. Not happening on my watch. I used the hips of my truck and blocked that bitch off. And to add icing on the cake, I politely told her through my PA to screw off and try again next time truck FTMFDKW!

Its one thing to be unable to merge because of a roadblock or something, but its completely different when you see a line of cars a mile long and 6 signs saying "right lane closed ahead"
Lol my S10 had a PA speaker

Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 AM
99 323i Vert

Yeah, i hate people who wait for the last moment to merge. The first day with my BMW driving it back home after buying it some lady just started merging into my lane. I had to switch lanes lest she run over me and the new car.

Last edited by Adamt166; 04-20-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Typos.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:11 AM
King of Drone

Quote:
Yea man, that's cool. A few of us drive to Hagerstown sometimes to check out the car scene (tons of modded honda's )

Lol my S10 had a PA speaker
Yeah man, lemme know anytime you're headed this way. If you ever find yourself in the DC area lemme know too. If I dont see you before then I'm sure I'll see you at bimmerfest east this year.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Needs Boost

Sounds good.

Closed Thread